I want to send faxes from my macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zgeist, Apr 12, 2010.

1. zgeist macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2010
    What is the best way to do this?

I've seen that there are online services for this sort of thing, but I was wondering if I could just buy a modem instead.

Is there such a thing as a USB adapter with a phone jack on one end? Do I need a separate phone number?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    I'm pretty sure Apple has a USB modem. You can use the same phone number but you have to find a way to decide which device picks up the incoming call. Many ways to address this but none are as god as a second fax number.

Two question:

(1) What's wrong with the on-line services?

(2) Who is still using FAX and why?
  3. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    Many companies for legal purposes require faxed confirmations of signed contracts, agreements, and whatnot; because in court faxed copies are actually legal documents whereas email and such is not.
  4. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2009

I was with a company, and we had fax systems on our computers to fax documents. It was called Rightfax. I am not sure if this can be used as an individual or if it has to be a company. But after a quick google it looks like this is the website for the information.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2009
  6. yukio macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2008
    i have efax - which works fine with my MBP and 10.6.3.

numerous service options - one nice thing is you have your incoming fax number that can then forward PDFs of your faxes to your email.

it's expensive and their customer service is abysmal - but - it works.
  7. davidp158 macrumors member

Feb 8, 2005
    email a PDF instead?

A fax machine may be old school, but they can are handy for documents that require a signature, or for printed material that you don't have in electronic form on your computer. I suppose some businesses may still rely on faxes as part of their work flow or documentation records.

If you want to fax a document you already have in electronic form on your computer, can you send a PDF file instead?

I have scanned my signature and used it with PDF documents without any complaints.
  8. zgeist thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2010
    @ChrisA - "(1) What's wrong with the on-line services?"

There's a monthly fee and I really only need to send one every now and again. Probably no more than one every other month or so.

As for sending a PDF instead - I have actually tried that a couple of times - it worked with one company, but the other companies email couldn't accept a file that big - and it wasn't that big! So I ended up faxing it anyway.

Basically, I've just needed to send copies of receipts and/or forms every now and then.

So, I think I will try to find a modem because I have never needed to receive a fax.

Thanks for your help, guys!
  9. zgeist thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2010
    Oh, and btw, that is hilarious because I used to work for OpenText! ;-)
  10. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2009
    Ha, how about that. I can be a mind reader in some ways. ;)
  11. markp9114 macrumors member

Jul 8, 2009

if your not sending a lot of faxes. This service is free.
    No-Ad free fax cover page
    3 pages per fax maximum
    2 free faxes per day maximum
  12. seleneS macrumors member

Jul 28, 2010
    Is this safe for some documents like medical history?
  13. mmatyas macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2008
    modem vs services

The services are fine, but you never know how secure they are. Go on eBay and buy an Apple USB modem. It's small and elegant and OS/X is guaranteed to recognize and work with it. See "printers and fax" under preferences.

When you need to FAX, just plug it in. If you want to receive faxes a service is easier unless you want to keep your modem plugged into a land line all the time.

Some cell phones with USB or BT connections also support FAX service. Many Motorola models do.
  14. Richdmoore, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Jul 24, 2007
    Troutdale, OR