Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L14M333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Hello. Im a complete noobie when it comes to developing, programing and so on but i want to start developing apps for the iPhone and the upcoming iPad. as i've said i have no experience what so ever in all this. I've downloaded the SDK, i have a new late 2009 21.5" iMac with another 20" External Display so i have all all the necessary software and hardware to start developing but i dont have the knowledge. I've looked at this guide: http://guides.macrumors.com/Cocoa_FAQ but im not 100% sure if that is starting from scratch or with a basic level of developing knowledge. All i need is somebody to put me in the right direction by referring guides or books i can buy ect.

all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Liam

jacksongan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
u can start with this book:

Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan.

followed by this book

Beginning iphone Development by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche.

L14M333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
u can start with this book:

Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan.

followed by this book

Beginning iphone Development by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche.

Hello.

Thanks for the advice, but to be 100% sure if i was to buy these i wouldn't need any background knowledge on programming ect?

Thanks

Liam

jacksongan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
Hello.

Thanks for the advice, but to be 100% sure if i was to buy these i wouldn't need any background knowledge on programming ect?

Thanks

Liam

well, Liam, half a year ago i posted a similar thread like urs, and our frens here gave me that suggestion, and i hv an apps sitting right on top of its category in the apps store now, so what do u think?

anyway, u got to read the 1st book first, dun go to the 2nd one without reading thru the 1st one, else u will vomit blood.

cheers.

jacksongan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
i forgot to add, i got zero programming knowledge prior reading these books, but u got to persevere, else no one can help u.

TazExprez

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
New York
I bought a couple of books, but am waiting to buy my first MB or MBP. I bought Beginning iPhone Development by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche and I also bought Learn Objective-C on the Mac by Mark Dalrymple and Scott Knaster. I haven't started reading them yet since I would like to try out the examples on the Mac. I wonder if I should get Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan and start learning with that, instead of Learn Objective-C on the Mac? Thanks for any help.

Btw, I do not have much Mac experience and will be buying my first Mac soon. I am considering waiting for the new MBP to arrive, or getting a current MB for $800.00 at Micro Center.

L14M333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
I bought a couple of books, but am waiting to buy my first MB or MBP. I bought Beginning iPhone Development by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche and I also bought Learn Objective-C on the Mac by Mark Dalrymple and Scott Knaster. I haven't started reading them yet since I would like to try out the examples on the Mac. I wonder if I should get Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan and start learning with that, instead of Learn Objective-C on the Mac? Thanks for any help.

Btw, I do not have much Mac experience and will be buying my first Mac soon. I am considering waiting for the new MBP to arrive, or getting a current MB for $800.00 at Micro Center.

Hello. Thanks for the recomendations and I think if your laptop/ computer is fairly new you should look into making it a hackintosh and wait for the new mbp. Just google hackintosh and you'll get loads of help, I tried it out on about 5 different pc's over time and on a basic spec lappy u had it working fine and stable, it's worth a go just until you get a mbp.

Liam

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I don't normally hang out in iPhone section of this site. Hi!

This may be interesting to programming newbees like me interested in creating iPhone apps:
http://www.appomator.com/

It's just been released and is a drag and drop interface for creating iPhone applications, a bit like DVD Studio Pro. It's incredibely easy to use and requires NO programming knowledge!!!

I't in BETA and is free to download. It looks very very promising so far. The videos on how to use it are here:
http://www.appomator.com/download/

deej

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado

This may be interesting to programming newbees like me interested in creating iPhone apps:

It's just been released and is a drag and drop interface for creating iPhone applications, a bit like DVD Studio Pro. It's incredibely easy to use and requires NO programming knowledge!!!

I't in BETA and is free to download. It looks very very promising so far. The videos on how to use it are here:

deej

Assuming that's even legit, it seems like a mediocre way to churn out mediocre at best apps. Probably not a worthwhile option for people looking to create full-featured applications.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009

deej

You know I think Apple offers a similar product. Its called Interface builder. I downloaded it to see what it could do. It does about as much as interface builder (actually less), it only allows users to form the interface and compile the app. Although its only beta software, its limited in nearly every single way. I highly recommend learning to program the "real way". You won't regret it.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada

deej

incredibly easy? sure. incredibly limited? vary. do yourself a favor and learn how to program properly.

i watched the videos on their website and found it to be quite discouraging. i shouldn't have been shocked, but the last thing the nariator said that i found shocking as he was wrapping up the video tutorial was "All it comes down to is menus with buttons to play tracks, that's the name of the game!" i don't know what game he's playing, but it certainly doesn't involve programming.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for he responses. :eek:

I am not suggesting everyone who has learned xcode should switch to making iapps with appOmator, nor am I kidding myself I can make the next Bejeweled with this.

In an ideal world I could learn xcode and spend the 8th day in my week programming iphone apps. I don't have the time and same with many of my colleagues. My focus is as a musician and studio engineer. From this perspective appOmator will let me create a simple app very easily in my own time. I think this is a good thing. I could not get my head around xcode when I looked at it and I would simply prefer to spend any free time with my family than learn xcode!

Yes, it's limited for now and not suitable for everyone - but development on appomator has just started. For me it's useful plus can be a way to have an iApp for my new tracks and I don't have to even join apple development and submit it to iTunes!

@kyzen why do you think it's not legit?

deej

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
The site itself has only been around for less than 2 months, it doesn't seem to be too professional, it's an incomplete product, and call me paranoid, but I have issues with sending my code to somebody else to compile for me :p

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
The site itself has only been around for less than 2 months, it doesn't seem to be too professional, it's an incomplete product, and call me paranoid, but I have issues with sending my code to somebody else to compile for me :p

:D

I understand what you're saying. Yeah they've been around for a short time, but I found out about this through macprovideo.com (been around a long long time!)

The guy who created macprovideo.com created appomator. He was the technical author for Apple's Pro coursebooks like DVD Studio Pro, Logic 7, SoundTrack Pro. You get the idea? I've dealt with many training video companies and none can touch these guys in terms of quality of training and customer service! I don't use these words lightly either.

So when they announced a new project in Beta to help musicians and the like build their own iPhone apps I'm willing to give it a go.

btw, you don't have to give them your code at all. At least thats not how I understand it. They can hos it for you or you can purchase it and go the Apple developer route.

I understand it's not xcode. It's not meant to be and sorry if posting this info here was inappropriate. But for the non-programmers or those unfamiliar with xcode this looks pretty promising.

[... shuffles back to the Digital Audio macrumors forum]

;)

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Well then, disregard my comment about them possibly not being legit :)

It'll be interesting to see how the project turns out; I see COUNTLESS groups offering some tool that's "guaranteed" to allow a user to churn out a rich media application with ease, but few, if any, ever deliver. I got suckered in by TGE a few years ago. Good product in the end, but the learning curve was nothing short of intense - certainly not the practically plug n play program they touted.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
If you're really interested in making in depth iPhone apps, learn to program. If you're looking to put together just a little something to put on your iPod and show to your friends, use appOmator. I'm actually glad you posted it, it gave us something to talk about :)

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I'm in the same position - completely new to programming and wanted to dabble with iPhone development - and I've just got hold of 'iPhone Application Development in 24 Hours'.

Honestly - I'm nothing to do with the author or have any connection to sales of it - but it's amazing. If you've never programmed before (like moi) some of the initial lessons take a couple of readings before they sink in, but I really am getting there with it. Will it make me a fully-fledged programmer? No - but it really focuses on what you need to get going with Xcode for the iPhone.

It's really cheap on Amazon, give it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.