I want to synchronize my flash drive with my home computer!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Feb 17, 2010.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm a student and constantly use my flash drive on my MacBook and at the school computers. I want to synchronize, so my files get updated and backed up.

I've searched this forums, and the internet but it seems like there's no solution. Carbon Copy Cloner, and Super Duper don't allow the flash to be the target disk, and if it does, it can't be the source.

http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=15428

For whatever reason, I don't know it seems like a simple thing, but I don't know how that works.

I also found the automator script "sync folders", which is what I wanted, but it seems to have flaked out on me. It didn't work at first, not sure what I did, but it finally started working, but then it stopped again and keeps giving me this error.

"Finder got an error: The operation could not be completed because there is already is an item with the same name. (-48)"

and from what I've searched in Google there is no solution.

Someone please tell me there's a solution.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean? There are numerous solutions. First, make sure that your thumb drive is formatted as HFS+ (MacOS Extended). Enabling journaling is not required, but it won't hurt. My preferred utility is Synchronize! Pro X from Qdea. Over the years, I have used this utility to synchronize my Mac with floppy disks, ZIP disks, other Macs, and USB thumb drives. Many Mac users prefer Chronosync from Econ Technologies. These and other file synchronization utilities can be found on their developers' websites and where ever Mac software is listed.

BTW, I have tried FAT32-formatted thumb drives. Copying from HFS+ to FAT32 changes the time stamp on copied files. Copying from one HFS+ volume to another HFS+ volume does not change the time stamp.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them, I think I checked them out before but didn't bother cause it wasn't free.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Dropbox has 2 GB free. You can sync between mac, pc, and even use a thumb drive.

5. Juice011785 macrumors newbie

Dropbox is great, i upload my work before i leave class and when i get home its already downloaded to my desktop...also i believe that the more people u refer the more space they allow you....