iPhone I want to try IOS6 GM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jacobss, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jacobss macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4S on IOS 5.1.1. it's AT&T and i'm using a gevey S Ultra to unlock it. Is there a way to update to IOS 6 GM and then go back to ios 5.1.1. the same way it was before, same baseband etc?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can't wait till September 19th and then it will be official! :rolleyes:

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Stop jumping to the latest thing then come back crying for help. It's only a week before the official release.

4. dhlizard, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. jacobss thread starter macrumors 6502

It won't make a difference when the official IOS 6 is released... I would still have the same question but without the 'GM'.

----------

I thought GM doesn't need that.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

you do know that you can get grey market IEMI unlocks now for less then $20 on ebay and eles where. then you will never have to worry about baseband again! :D I don't believe there is a way to preserve baseband on the 4s for 6.0 gn or other wise.

7. RayK macrumors 6502

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Do those "unlock my iPhone" sites really work? If so, you just provide them with the imei number and that's it?

9. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'm not clued up on the baseband issues, but I wish people who don't have a damn clue would stop spouting inaccurate information regarding downgrading from either beta or GM versions of iOS.

I know the "official Apple notes" in both the beta and GM versions state you cannot downgrade, but they are wrong.

Any iOS device will restore to the latest public build of iOS. This means, until 19th Sept when iOS 6 is released, that 5.1.1 is the latest (and in the case of recent iDevices, the only) build of iOS that is being signed. When iOS 6 launches, 5.1.1 will stop being signed and then you won't be able to downgrade unless you built a custom ipsw using stitched blobs (for example).

The above is from personal experience.

Betas were downgrade-able by entering DFU mode and shift+restoring. I tried every beta of iOS 6 then went back to 5.1.1, and if I tried a basic sync + restore it told me my device wasn't eligable for the requested build and this meant I had to use DFU mode.

The GM, providing you have 5.1.1 saved in your iTunes software folder, will restore using a basic sync + restore.

10. jacobss thread starter macrumors 6502

Does IOS6 GM update the baseband on iPhone 4S, if anyone knows about it?

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why don't you wait for the official release? Does it make you THAT cool to have iOS 6 a week before the public?

12. jacobss thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm the only one that will know and see that my iPhone has IOS 6 on it, but yes it makes me that cool.

As I understand I can update to IOS 6 now and go back to IOS 5, but when IOS 6 is officially released I will not be able to go back to IOS 5. That is also why.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes you will be a very :cool: guy for 4 days! :rolleyes: hope it doesn't mess up your Gevey check with people using GM see what baseband it is or check with Appleberry. I never install IOS beta's. I'm probably looking at a month or 2 before or until the jb is out before I even upgrade IOS 6.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sure, with saved hash and APTicket you can restore to old firmware

15. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Can someone confirm if a JAILBREAK on the *official/final version * of iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 will be available on release day.....or do we have to wait like with the A5 devices???

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Limera1n is a hardware based exploit for i4 5 and 3gs you will have a tethered jailbreak very shortly for those devices there are things that still might take a few days but the wait will not be long. untethered and A5 is a whole other story time will answer that.

17. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

yes do that factory unlocked FTW

18. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Thanks for the info. Tethered JB is useless to me, so I guess I'll have to wait for the unthethered release. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

hopefully!