I WANT to upgrade my baseband....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZimZam, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ZimZam macrumors newbie

I upgraded a jailbroken 4.2 (greenpois0n) to 4.3.1 redsn0w. I am not an unlocker and would have liked to keep current with the basebands. I also have saved my shsh blobs with tiny umbrella. I really have no idea why :D

Anyway, when I upgraded to 4.3.1 and jailbroke with redsn0w, it kept my baseband at 02.10.04. I'm guessing cause of cydia and tinyumbrella. I tried to restore my phone to factory but I was stuck in the dreaded "must restore loop" Tried everything including DFU restore. (i also unchecked the set hosts to cydia)The only thing that worked was a download from TinyUmbrella website "FixRecovery". I finally got iphone back up but baseband is still at 02.10.04 (my other phone is stuck on baseband 03.10.1)I also tried a "new iphone" set up, nothing.

So question is, How do I upgrade my baseband? I'm either doing something wrong or not in the proper steps.

Is there a way to truly start fresh without cydia, download 4.3.1 (with updated baseband) and then jailbreak?

All help appreciated.

2. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Try restoring your iPhones through iTunes without running Tiny Umbrella. Also if you've manually edited your host file previously, remove or comment out any lines that contain any "gs.apple.com" (no quotes).

3. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that. I needed TinyUmbrella to get me out of recovery mode. No matter what I did it would keep me in recovery loop. couldnt even kick or exit with tinyumbrella. the only thing that got me out of restore was "FixRecovery" from tinyumbrella.

4. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Was it kicking it into recovery mode straight after restoring? If so, did you happen to get an Error 1013?

If yes to both, it's because iTunes was unable to successfully upgrade your baseband most likely because you had Tiny Umbrella's TSS Server running or your host file was modified.

5. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes and Yes. I do not remember if TSS was not running and as far as I know, I never modified anything. TU was open when I tried restoring and I also tried with it closed. Is there a way for me to upgrade the baseband? (thanks so far for your helP)

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Even TU not running, it is still pointing you to Cydia. So, what you need to do is as follow;

1. Open TU
    2. Click on advance tab
    3. uncheck the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit"
    4. click apply change at button at the corner lower right, then close TU
    5. connect your Iphone to your PC
    6. Put your Iphone into DFU mode.
    7. Click restore in itunes.

this should put your iphone back to the factory setting.

7. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Yes, your baseband should be upgradable. From what I've gathered your host file has been modified one way or another and not allowing iTunes to properly upgrade your baseband.

Locate it and open it any text editor and remove or comment out any lines containing gs.apple.com.

On Windows it should be here: (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)
    On Mac it should be here: (/etc/hosts)

EDIT:
    Crystal-RX beat me to it. That method should also work. Mine was just the manual way of editing your host file but either way should result in allowing you to upgrade your baseband.

8. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

#This is what file looks like. Isnt it already commented out?

Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

9. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Yes it is. Hmm.

So even with the host file as above you're not able to perform a clean restore through iTunes?

10. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm 99% sure i tried to restore with that box unchecked.......in dfu mode. it just kept me in the restore loop.
    I tried for hours to get out of loop. Only thing that worked was FixRecovery file. Seperate download exe file. The button that was part of tinyumbrella didnt work either

what about the hosts.umbrella file? Should it be commented out as well?
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

11. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

The restore loop was most likely because iTunes never successfully updated the baseband.The only way to kick it out of recovery mode is through that standalone FixRecovery you got from TinyUmbrella. That one button in TinyUmbrella is currently known not to work hence the standalone app for it.

The correct host file should be the one in post #8.

12. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

im going to try again for the heck of it.....folowing these instructions...

13. ZimZam thread starter macrumors newbie

If it happens to work, is there any real reason for me to use TinyUmbrella in the furture if im never going to be interested in unlocking?

14. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Yes, to save the blobs

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Do what is outlined by Crystal RX in his post 6 above. Make sure you close TU after unchecking that box. The restore will then work and your baseband will update.

Even if you uncheck the box under advance mode, TU will modify the host file as soon as you open it and it will restore it to normal when you close it.