Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey there all,

Ok so I recently got a new macbook pro 2.66 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB @5400rpm HDD. I made this purchase last thursday and would like to return it for the 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB @7200rpm HDD with Anti-glare screen. Is there any ingenious person in this forum who can lend me an idea as to what I might say to the apple associates at the store to persuade them to let me make the upgrade? (i.e. I meant to get the bigger processor? Or the performance just isn't up to my standards?) And perhaps avoiding the restock fee?

I am not sure that I am entirely serious about this whole deal but I would like to entertain it...just in case. ;-)

If anyone needs me to enlighten them on this issue let me know and I'll be glad to do so. Thanks to those creative and insightful individuals in advance.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You say:
Dear Apple Guy, I changed my mind. Here is my macbook pro and please let me know how much my restock fee will be.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Umm... Well the point is to avoid the possibility of a restock fee! :cool:

Dude stop being sneaky and just be honest. I returned a MBP this summer and asked the guy nicely if he would wave the restocking fee because I made a purchasing mistake and got a 15" instead of a 13" and really did regret not having the portability of the 13".

The manager had no problem returning it without charging me a restocking fee. Sometimes just being a decent human being and asking nicely can get you the same results as being sneaky and looking for loop holes to cheat the system.

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
And if you really feel you need a reason to give them, just tell them the glossy is driving you nuts and you really want the anti-glare. Seeing as how you're upgrading the components across the board, I doubt they'll have a problem with upgrading you.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wow I feel some animosity here. I didn't intend to be disingenuous, although, that may be how it sounds. I appreciate your genuine input. I was only looking for a solution and not criticism.
After hearing so may disappointing stories, I've always had a negative preconceived notion about this subject. Furthermore, I may heed your advice. However, next time try not to jump to conclusions about people and their motives, especially when they aren't explicitly stated.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Just tell them you'd like the more expensive model they shouldn't charge you a restocking fee then

You have 14 days to return goods anyway

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
if you're exchanging it for a more expensive model then they shouldn't charge you a restock fee in the first place. as long as you're within the certain time frame

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I also have another question as well: Would I still be eligible for a student discount? Anyone know? lol I guess I can just ask someone from the store if I decide to upgrade.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I exchanged my 13 inch a couple months ago for a special ordered 13 inch with a Japanese keyboard. There was no restocking fee because I was exchanging rather than trading.

When I bought my 17 inch refurb 2 years ago, I decided that I should return it for a brand new one, and after talking to Applecare, it seemed the only thing they were concerned about was having to reinstall the OS. They said that if it was exactly like it was when I got it they wouldn't charge a restocking fee. That is easy to do with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Of course, you will likely either need to call Apple, or try to find a store manager that cares. I suggest calling instead, as the retail stores are usually a joke, and wouldn't even help me special order something that I could on their web site.

-jt2

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
Just go to the store and ask. I upgraded a macbook a couple weeks ago and just told them I wanted to exchange for a different model and asked if I could do so without incurring a restocking fee since I'm upgrading. They exchanged my macbook and I paid the difference. Honesty goes a long way. I don't know why some need to try to find a way to scheme for what they want.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I don't know why some need to try to find a way to scheme for what they want.

I don't think asking for advice is the same as trying to come up with a scheme. I read the OP as saying that he wanted to upgrade the laptop he just bought, and wanting to know how to go about it. If he needed to say that there was something that was not meeting his need, or give some other reason.

Honestly, you don't need to give a reason. Taking a laptop back and telling them that you are not satisfied with your purchase and want to try another one should be enough. As long as you are purchasing another one, they should wave the restocking fee.

-jt2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.