I want to upgrade my iMac help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kokakola, Nov 27, 2015.

1. kokakola macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have the Early 2006 Apple iMac Desktop with 17" Display MA199LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive). My processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo and my memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and my Hard drive is 163GB. It is running iOS 10.6.8
    Please help me with anything or any ideas on how I can upgrade this mac or 'renovate' it in any way or what you would do if you were me since my mac has gotten slow.

2. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

Everyone and their grandmother on this website would recommend and SSD. I would myself. I just upgraded my mini the other day and damn it's like a whole new machine! I would look into it more, especially since it's an older machine.

Another thing you can try is more RAM. It may not make it faster, but you can do more at once.

3. techguy69 macrumors regular

techguy69

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Don't spend another dollar on that old Mac if it's your primary computer used on the Internet. It can't run a currently supported Mac OS, and within a few months (April 2016) will no longer even be supported by Chrome or any other modern and secure browser.

I know that it's a Mac, but using that old it on the Internet is no longer a good idea.

It's time for a new one, even if that means purchasing any used Mac that can run a currently supported Mac OS.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agree with the post directly above.

A 2006 iMac is approaching ten years old.
    That's A LOT of use from it -- more than most folks get.

Aside from performing a few tasks to improve its performance "as is" (such as getting rid of unused files/programs and perhaps defragmenting the drive), you really shouldn't spend any more money on it.

Take that money and put it towards a new (or at least, "newer") Mac.

If you can't afford an iMac, consider a Mac Mini with a 3rd-party display.

I have a 2007 white Intel iMac as a "secondary desktop" computer. It still runs fairly well, but I only use it for music production, not day-to-day things. But it's not worth putting $$$ into, either!