Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revival

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I want to take advantage of AT&T upgrade as I would like to replace my original iPhone with the iPhone 3G.

Can someone with knowledge answer some questions:

1) I have only completed 1 year of my current 2 year contract. Will upgrading result in my current contract being torn up and the new 2 year contract starting immediately? Or will it just be added to backend my current contract, meaning I would have 3 years to go.

2) If I upgrade does this mean that the $5/month discount for Early Termination Fee will apply to the new contract? I do not have this with my current contract since I signed up prior to May 2008.

3) If I were to cancel my service with AT&T 2 months after I upgrade, do they charge anything beyond the $175 early termination fee? And I get to keep the iPhone, correct?

Thanks!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Bold in answers
I want to take advantage of AT&T upgrade as I would like to replace my original iPhone with the iPhone 3G.

Can someone with knowledge answer some questions:

1) I have only completed 1 year of my current 2 year contract. Will upgrading result in my current contract being torn up and the new 2 year contract starting immediately? Or will it just be added to backend my current contract, meaning I would have 3 years to go.
You will just be extending your contract, assuming you'll be purchasing this March '09, then your contract will be till March 2011.

2) If I upgrade does this mean that the $5/month discount for Early Termination Fee will apply to the new contract? I do not have this with my current contract since I signed up prior to May 2008.
Yes the $5/month will apply on the ETF.

3) If I were to cancel my service with AT&T 2 months after I upgrade, do they charge anything beyond the $175 early termination fee? And I get to keep the iPhone, correct?
Yes you will keep the iPhone and pay the ETF of $165 (it's $5 per month so that's 10 less) and also pay your last bill.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.