Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
System details below:

Machine Name: eMac

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 256 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.8f0

ATA:

ATA 3 Bus > HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8522B

ATA 6 Bus > Maxtor 2F040L0 40 GB

OSX 10.3.9

What can I upgrade? Make better?

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
yeah I want to upgrade the Ram so I can have 2 GB and possibly get leopard or Tiger but I already have Leopard on my one personal computer. Which is better, Tiger on the eMac or leopard?

I also want to get a faster bigger hard drive, possibly a DVD instead of Cd-rom

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
yeah I want to upgrade the Ram so I can have 2 GB and possibly get leopard or Tiger but I already have Leopard on my one personal computer. Which is better, Tiger on the eMac or leopard?

It can only take 1GB :( I think Tiger may work smoother than Leopard

I also want to get a faster bigger hard drive, possibly a DVD instead of Cd-rom

eMac has Ultra ATA drive and those are quite hard to get but there are some which are faster and bigger

There is no way I can upgrade the graphics card???

Nope :(

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
you can not upgrade the graphics card, it is soldered to the motherboard.

the ram is the only "easy" upgrade you can do. Max that baby out at 1 or 2 gigs depending on model... i had a 1ghz and it maxed out at 1. 2x512's

the hard disk can be replaced but its not as easy, i never even attempted to find out how.

leopard runs fine if you max the ram out.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for all the information!!!

Too bad it cannot have a better graphic card, it will be such a faster machine.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
BTW, anyone know why I have to connect a Ethernet cable to the emac in order for it to get internet? The airport it has picks up my WiFi but it needs the cable to work.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i`m not a expert and if i`m wron dont shoot me , but first if your mac has 802.11 b standard and your router 802.11g ,
then it might be the encryption as g only supports wep and wpa while the b supports also other standards , or was it the other way round , i could be wrong there but in theory the result would be the same ,
but that could be the problem try to match the encryption of both , because if your mac trys to encrypt your password with wep and your router expect wpa they can`t understand each other , ethernet is not effected by that
the other problem could be if a phone or microwave or similar things are nearby they could cause interference , could be solved if you use another channel some are less affected by interference then others

but like i said i`m no expert , but its always worth to try :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.