I want to uprate a G3 B/W but will it work??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 23, 2007.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    First of all, I know for sure that my G3 B/W PowerMac is a Rev 2.
    I have killed off a Windows PC to replace it with this Mac on a home network and I'm wondering if any of the bits from the PC will be useable in the Mac.
    A 4 Port USB 2.0 pci card
    Can I just slot that in and use it or will I need to find a Mac driver for such things? Is there a central place where Mac drivers for odd stuff can be found?
    An 80 gig HDD. I've read some instructions on how to do this and I feel confident that I can do it but the HDD is full of XP stuff, Photos, docs, etc. It can all be ditched 'cos I have backed all my personal stuff up but will inserting this drive, as is, into the Mac cause any problems either to the Mac or to the drive?
    Last, but not least.... I had a very handy USB cup warmer gizmo running on the windows PC. Don't laugh. I was forever getting a brew and then letting it go cold as I did some work on the PC. The cup warmer worked a treat in keeping my drinks hot. Again, I guess it's a driver issue.

I could try all these things myself, of course, but the thing is that I'm a bit of a klutz and I just know that if I try anything I don't absolutely need to do, the whole machine will burst into flames when I open the door, lol
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

1. The cup warmer probably won't need any drivers or anything, but you might not get enough power from the usb drive ont he Powermac

2. Any pata/IEDE drive will work fine on your mac.

3. Drivers, no idea.

3. Qianlong macrumors regular

Not all pci usb cards are supported, I would say plug it in a see if it works.

check it with a usb stick.
    see if the osx sees it and if the card works with deep-sleep.
    leave the usb stick in the usb slot and put the comp to sleep, if it doesn't wake up afterwards your card doesn't support deep sleep.

but it can still be used, just unplug all peripherals if you sleep the comp.
    sometimes the card wont work anymore after sleep and you need to restart the comp to use it.

I had a pc card that worked in osx 10.4 (no deep sleep support), but in Leopard I need the restart.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire/fw_usb_card_deep_sleep.html

if you plug the HDD in you can format it with Disk utility -> HFs+

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/add_2nd_drive/index.html

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

A) USB card----should work notta problemo IF you are running OS X......will need drivers for OS 9 & earlier.....look up the specs on it & check for "OHCI" and/or "EHCI" compliance.....these are the protocol standards for pci cards that are cross-platform compatible without requiring special firmware......

B) Cup warmer should be ok too

C) HDD: will need to be jumpered as a slave drive and reformatted to HFS+ with disk utility before it will mount on the desktop, after that notta problemio

good luck :p