I want wireless network access without internet access

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rynhayden, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rynhayden macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am the tech guy at a school and I was wondering if there was any way to set up my computers so that they could access other computers on our network, but have to enter a password to get to the internet. These are windows xp computers connecting wirelessly to timecapsule and airport express base stations. They need to acccess a server (for rosetta stone) but don't need to be able to access the internet without permission. Any help would be appreciated, I'm stumped.

Thanks,
    Ryan Hayden

2. secret101 macrumors newbie

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes you can!

Well, I'm not sure, but partly because it's not quite clear what your setup is.

The easiest solution is simply not to connect your router to the internet. Obviously even a password won't get around that.

Another solution would be to set up one TC/AEx with internet access, but make that wireless network have a different password (I think this should work--in other words, you join one network for the server and the other for internet).

If you had Macs, you could use parental controls to achieve this, but you have windows, so no soup for you.

If what you're asking is whether TC has a password access control for internet only, but not a LAN, the answer is no. All it has is MAC-based timed access, which I would guess doesn't work because (a) it's timed (b) it's all access to the network, including LAN and (c) it's not the computer, but the user that's at issue.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are tons of solutions... you could also establish a proxy server through which public internet traffic is diverted and restrict the proxy server to specified IPs, MACs, or make it require some form of authentication.