Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
In Canada, the Macbook Pro has slowly crept up in price due to the exchange rate. It hit $1550 for an entry-level Macbook Pro last year. I knew I could hold off, since I didn't need anything yet.

I am terribly surprised that a year later, the 2015 Macbook Pro still sells for $1550, with no price drop. That is a cocky move by Apple to begin with. It should have dropped to somewhere in the range of $1350-$1450.

But, I think the worst thing is the new pricing model. $1900 for a feature-stripped, entry-level 2016 Macbook Pro? With only 2 ports TOTAL!? What were they thinking. The whole POINT of a Macbook Pro is that it is a desktop alternative. Two. Ports. What??????????? I can live with the Apple logo not lighting up, but two ports, and they require adapters to even use USB devices?

If I were already spending $1900, I would be quite sour to know that the next step up ($400 more), has all the missing features... touch bar, 4 ports. If the base model had a touch bar and 4 ports, and the next step up was say $300 more, then the price difference would make sense... better CPU/GPU, more cost.

And 8GB of RAM? Again, if the base model had 4 ports, and a touch bar, then 8GB of RAM might make sense... they did throw a 256GB hard drive on there, so 8GB of RAM could be that little unnecessary but annoying upgrade.

The $1900 (Canadian) Macbook Pro is a crippled device at an inflated price. The $2300 Macbook Pro is a full-featured device, with flawed ports, and a ridiculously inflated price.

Hopefully the Macbook Air doesn't go up in price, and I hope it gets a retina display. I'd go with that instead.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
In Canada, the Macbook Pro has slowly crept up in price due to the exchange rate. It hit $1550 for an entry-level Macbook Pro last year. I knew I could hold off, since I didn't need anything yet.

I am terribly surprised that a year later, the 2015 Macbook Pro still sells for $1550, with no price drop. That is a very bashful move by Apple to begin with. It should have dropped to somewhere in the range of $1350-$1450.

But, I think the worst thing is the new pricing model. $1900 for a feature-stripped, entry-level 2016 Macbook Pro? With only 2 ports TOTAL!? What were they thinking. The whole POINT of a Macbook Pro is that it is a desktop alternative. Two. Ports. What??????????? I have to get over that before I can even think about the fact that there's no USB connection. I can live with the Apple logo not lighting up.

If I were already spending $1900, I would be quite sour to know that the next step up ($400 more), has all the missing features... touch bar, 4 ports. If the base model had a touch bar and 4 ports, it would be a fair price difference.

And 8GB of RAM? Again, if the base model had 4 ports, and a touch bar, then 8GB of RAM might make sense... they did throw a 256GB hard drive on there, so 8GB of RAM could be that little unnecessary but annoying upgrade.

The $1900 (Canadian) Macbook Pro is a crippled device at an inflated price. The $2300 Macbook Pro is a full-featured device, with flawed ports, and a ridiculously inflated price.

Hopefully the Macbook Air doesn't go up in price, and gets a retina display. I'd go with that instead.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that isn't happening.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is obvious that Apple has decided to kill the MacBook Air line. The same can be said to Mac Pro, Mac Mini and Thunderbolt Display. With iMac I'm not sure.

The closest you can get as a MacBook Air alternative are the 12" MacBook and the MacBook Pro without Touch bar. They are a few hundred bucks more expensive, but expect the prices to go down next year for the new version.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I can tell you with 100% certainty that isn't happening.

One has to wonder... will the Air be cycled out 100%, no more refreshes? The Macbook Pro, Macbook, and Macbook Air all are competing in a ridiculously similar category.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is obvious that Apple has decided to kill the MacBook Air line. The same can be said to Mac Pro, Mac Mini and Thunderbolt Display. With iMac I'm not sure.

The closest you can get as a MacBook Air alternative are the 12" MacBook and the MacBook Pro without Touch bar. They are a few hundred bucks more expensive, but expect the prices to go down next year for the new version.

Quite sad the prices have shot up the way they have. I can and definitely will wait at least a year, if not longer. If I can't find the right deal, I just won't buy at all.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
One has to wonder... will the Air be cycled out 100%, no more refreshes? The Macbook Pro, Macbook, and Macbook Air all are competing in a ridiculously similar category.

Quite sad the prices have shot up the way they have. I can and definitely will wait at least a year, if not longer. If I can't find the right deal, I just won't buy at all.

The entry level MacBook Pro (the one without the touchbar) runs the exact same processor, 15 watt Skylake, that an updated Air would use and has USB C/Thunderbolt 3 and a retina display. Why would they put a retina display on the Air? It will trundle along as is until they kill it.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013

If you don't desperately need a new computer, don't buy it, especially if you have a tight budget. The value of the new Mac line is not in line with what they offer.

Apple is always like that, they raise prices for new redesigned products (hoping people are caught in the hype). Those who are patient can wait for 1 year, and purchase an improved product for a decreased price tag.

Reactions: Queen6

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
If you don't desperately need a new computer, don't buy it, especially if you have a tight budget. The value of the new Mac line is not in line with what they offer.

Apple is always like that, they raise prices for new redesigned products (hoping people are caught in the hype). Those who are patient can wait for 1 year, and purchase an improved product for a decreased price tag.

I agree completely with this. The ddr3 ram, the lower end skylake processors will be outdated in the next 3 months and are not worth the R&D fee you would be paying for the new MacBook. I'd wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.