Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I had really convinced myself that I wanted to get an MBA. I don't know that I have the need for it but I think it is a great light notebook. I already have a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac for a desktop as well as an iPhone. I really like the idea of having the Air for browsing in front of the TV (yes, a bit lazy with the iMac a room away), and for travel which I don't do much of. Really I guess I don't need one. Added to which if I replace my iPhone with a 3G model in July, that will afford me faster browsing, albeit on a smaller screen.

Really, what are my reasons to get an Air. Other than the cool Apple lust factor, something else to buy cases and such for, and a notebook that won't see too much use.

Help me justify it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm in the same boat as you so my advice is just buy it. My justification is my new townhouse is on 3 levels so I need something really, really, portable. I'm pretty sure I will.:D

deputylove8

macrumors regular
Haha...I'm in a similar dilemma as well.

1) Buy the Air now and get a free touch ( Kinda ex )
2) Buy an MB now and get a free touch ( Saves moolah)
3) Don't buy now and wait for the new MB (Saves moolah but no free touch)
4) Wait for a million bucks to drop from the sky and buy the Air and maybe
a house.

Hmmmm...

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I am no expert, and although I do not know of your financial situation, but the best advice that I can give is that if you don't really need something, then don't purchase it.

Berkel

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
I am no expert, and although I do not know of your financial situation, but the best advice that I can give is that if you don't really need something, then don't purchase it.

Although I have the MBA, but I agree, if my G3 didn't die on me, i wouldn't have purchased it. Its a little wasteful.... plus, you will most likely end up using only one, and not the other....

Skeva31776

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Buy it, as you know it gonna drive you crazy if you dont, life too short to stress, Buy it

U have option to buy a MBA, i live in Cayman Islands and would give my left nut for Iphone:mad:

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I use the Air for exactly that - sofa surfing, taking with me when travelling (once since purchase, but that was the only holiday I've had since then) surfing in bed and general out and about useage - coffee houses, around to friend houses with new photos. Plus I too have an iMac for "real" work.
I know there were cheaper alternatives to do all of the above, but its the dagnabit and I wanted one! :p :D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Any chance we'll see a spec bump of any sort before next January? Slightly faster, slightly larger HDD.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Unless you need ultra portability, I'm not sure why you would buy the MBA.

For $500 less you can get the MB which has the same screen real-estate, twice the HD space, faster CPU, Superdrive, etc. and fits perfectly on your lap while your watching TV. Or, go for the MBP which is an excellent laptop for only $200 more and get a larger screen.

Obviously, it's your choice. The MBA is a great portable machine. But if you rarely travel, your going to regret paying more for less.

Cheers.
:):apple:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005

For $500 less you can get the MB which has the same screen real-estate, twice the HD space, faster CPU, Superdrive, etc. and fits perfectly on your lap while your watching TV. Or, go for the MBP which is an excellent laptop for only $200 more and get a larger screen.

Obviously, it's your choice. The MBA is a great portable machine. But if you rarely travel, your going to regret paying more for less.

Cheers.

I don't really travel. And would love an MBP. But I have an iMac so the optical drive isn't a big deal. As an Apple fan, aesthetics is important and the MB just isn't that thrilling to me. I could only see myself going for the BlackBook which isn't that much cheaper than the Air. We have an old 12" PB which we are giving to my mom, and frankly the screen on that is too small. I'm not sure on the 13.3" vs. 15.4" screen size. But the thing that is most attractive about the Air is the weight. That extra 2.5 lbs makes the MBP almost twice as heavy. I think the backlit but MB style keyboard of the Air is also appealing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Stop, you're making me want one more and I so don't need it. Luckily, I can afford it. :D

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I hope this doesn't turn into a laptop vs. desktop thread. But anyway, what's the point of getting an air when you have an imac? Well do you need a computer you can take with you everyday or whenever for that matter? Laptops are very portable and suited for users on the go, who need their computers in the field.

If you don't need a laptop for on the go, then why buy one? If it's browsing in front of the tv you want than ya buy one. Or heck if you have money to burn, just buy one even if you don't need it.

Johnner1999

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
i have been searching for a new portable too - and i have an iMac 2.8ghz 24"

just bought a 2.4ghz mbp from amazon for 1730 after rebate; much more speed and video gpu, plus all that goes with the great mbp. but it is it bulky and seems to get too hot for couch tv surfing. and heavy as well - i figured why not spend 30 more on the mbp then mba? i just printed out my rma slip for it.

if i didn't have the imac - i would make do

now i'm still fighting over the mb vs mba // i really the metal case, back lit keys, and cool factor of the air. but i might need to run vista for some work stuff and not sure if the drive space on the air can handle it?

ok i know i didn't add much to help - but i think the mbp is just too big for everyday lap use.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore

Cheers.

I bought an Air and absolutely LOVE it. I don't use it as a primary machine, and have a 24" iMac, but find myself using it quite a bit around the home (like right now, lol). I debated for quite awhile, and was torn between a pro or the air. I was a wee bit concerned about 1 usb, no DVD, only 2gbs of ram and the smallish hard drive. But after spending 3 trips to my Apple store I was convinced. Despite all the detractors and whining that has gone on, I find the machine one of the best computers I have had. I run quite a few programs, and most of them at the same time without difficulty (quark, pshop, aperture, etc). Is it as fast as the pro? Nope. Do I find it an issue? No way. The lack of weight to lug around is awesome. I use it in bed, on the sofa, on my patio in the morning... and also when I travel. Was it cheap? Nope, but for me it was well worth it.
cheers,
michael

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Roland, did you get it yet? :D

No. Not in a hurry. My B-Day is this week, but I don't see my wife getting me one. Maybe at some point. But I can't quite drop the $$ on it yet. I have about a little over 1/2 of it socked away and easily the rest in other savings, but with a huge 6 month remodel on our house starting next month, $1.8k laptop purchases are not something that would go over very well at the moment.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
No. Not in a hurry. My B-Day is this week, but I don't see my wife getting me one. Maybe at some point. But I can't quite drop the $$ on it yet. I have about a little over 1/2 of it socked away and easily the rest in other savings, but with a huge 6 month remodel on our house starting next month, $1.8k laptop purchases are not something that would go over very well at the moment.
With the remodel factoring into your financial situation, then I would not suggest getting the MBA, but I think that you could have figured that one out for yourself. But if your wife did get you the MBA, then that would be one-amazing gift. Early Happy Birthday!!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
With the remodel factoring into your financial situation, then I would not suggest getting the MBA, but I think that you could have figured that one out for yourself. But if your wife did get you the MBA, then that would be one-amazing gift. Early Happy Birthday!!

Yes, the only thing that would be nice about the Air is that the remodel is extensive enough that most of our furniture is going in storage as is our Samsung DLP and our 24" iMac leaving no computer. We'll still have a smaller TV during that time and I will have my Cable Modem and Router hooked up, but it would be nice to have a notebook. Somehow browsing on my iPhone for 6 months doesn't sound too appealing. We will be living in the house while they rip off the rear enclosed porch, dig down a new basement, redo the sewer, frame in the new addition including basement, first and second floor, take off the rear 3rd of our existing roof and frame out a new 2nd story roof tying into the existing 1 1/2 story we have. After about 4-6 weeks tops we will be moving from the upstairs to the spare room downstairs near the front of the house which will see almost no change. The good news that until the addition is framed in, they won't be taking down the existing rear wall so that will hopefully minimize the initial impact to us while living there. At first it will just be a crazy hole just beyond the kitchen.

We do have an old 12" PB that needs a battery - only runs off AC - and I was going to give that to my mom, but could delay that until November. Probably the best solution. That or pick up a refurb MB.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I would see if you can find a battery for your old PB from Apple (unlikely) or online. Is there anywhere you could place your iMac at all, even if it involved relocating it every week or so? Your kitchen maybe, or any room that isn't being touched? At least you have an iPhone to go off of, it could have been a lot worse.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I would see if you can find a battery for your old PB from Apple (unlikely) or online. Is there anywhere you could place your iMac at all, even if it involved relocating it every week or so? Your kitchen maybe, or any room that isn't being touched? At least you have an iPhone to go off of, it could have been a lot worse.

I think they sell reconditioned PB batteries for $35-60 on eBay. The iMac is a bit more of a security thing. But the iMac, TV, and furniture are also dust and incidental damage concerns too. Plus we will be living in a small section of our house and must reduce what we can. Especially with a 6 month old baby. I will probably get the PB battery and just use that. Upgrade to Leo first.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I think they sell reconditioned PB batteries for $35-60 on eBay. The iMac is a bit more of a security thing. But the iMac, TV, and furniture are also dust and incidental damage concerns too. Plus we will be living in a small section of our house and must reduce what we can. Especially with a 6 month old baby. I will probably get the PB battery and just use that. Upgrade to Leo first.
Hopefully it all works out smoothly for you, and with the major difference in price, (50 vs. 1800), the PB is probably the better choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.