I wanted some news on 30in ACD at WWDC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Greenhoe, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I was hoping we would receive some news on the refresh of the Apple 30in ACD. I'm very close to just going ahead and purchasing one but I don't want a 5 year old monitor. Do you guys think apple will release one by the end of 2009?

2. Slogan macrumors member

It's hard to say really. The monitors in general (until the recent 24" of course) have often been one of those 'nearly there' products. The type that can go on being 'around the corner' for many years with no sign of actually being updated.

It doesn't help that displays can pop up at more or less any event, as a nice bonus to the keynote.

Given the technology in the 24" LED monitor, a 30" equivalent would be extremely expensive - even more so than the 30" Cinema Display.

The panels within the existing 30" displays have been updated regularly since their introduction (or so I think), so you're not really buying a 5 year old monitor as such, just a 5 year old design. In the case of the ACD, that's not a bad thing at all.

I would think that a 30" will be coming within the next year or so - I'm guessing Apple are waiting for the price of LED technology to come down so they can update the biggest display, yet keep the same price.

3. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Add me to the list of those who REALLY wanted a 30" ACD redesign. I agree that it would be too expensive to bring to market at the moment. Hopefully by the end of the year though...

4. macintel4me macrumors 6502

Samsung sells a 30" LED monitor for $2600 called the XL30. Reasonably priced, IMO. I posted a link about 2 weeks ago or so about it.

5. noonereally macrumors newbie

+1 on this

i have been holding out for a 30" refresh for some time and have just about lost hope.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

+1 on this as well.

I've been so hoping that Apple update the 30" ACD. I've been holding out for the last few months and I'm disappointed that a refresh has not been made available.

7. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Apple has already lost so many customers to NEC, Dell and HP who are tired of waiting for them to update their tiny, prehistoric line of ACDs, that they might not even bother.

" Product LCDs
    Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon *
    Notes * Despite the release of the 24" LED Cinema Display, unless you are buying that specific monitor, we'd recommend waiting if you are in the market for a different size.
    Last Release April 04, 2007
    Days Since Update 797 (Avg = 230) "

The "updates soon" is good for a laugh. That's been there over a year. Not very helpful or timely advice. LOL

8. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

me too, but its not surprising with the amount of stuff that was announced. I'm hoping we'll see something soon though.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

An LED backlit 30" from Apple you know will be very expensive if the $900 24" is any indication.

I know of at least one silent panel update during the life of the current 30" display.

Either way, other manufacturers have a lot to offer. The Dell 3007WFP-HC has gotten very good reviews and it barely costs more than the Apple 24".

While I have no doubt Apple will eventually offer a newly designed high-quality 30" display, I suspect that it will be both expensive and lacking in terms of number of inputs and other features compared with similarly-spec'd displays.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I think Apple is getting out of the monitor business. I think the 30" will eventually fade away and we'll just have the 24" LED.

11. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I hope not. I want my 30"!!

12. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

There's one simple reason why this is almost certainly not the case: the monitor is the most visible piece of computer hardware. When someone has an Apple monitor, be it in real life, in movies or on TV, that Apple logo jumps out at you. It makes no sense to me that Apple would want to lose that visibility.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It would make sense that they would get out of it. But they can continue to charge ridiculous amounts more then other manufacturers and the fanboys (and girls) will still flock...

14. suburbia macrumors 6502

Apple does not need the 30" ACD to advertise their brand-- the iMac does an excellent good job of that for them.

I completely agree with thegoldenmackid: If the 30" ACD was extremely profitable for them, it would be a certainty that there would be more push-- even something as superficial as a redesign by now, for this product.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Ah interesting point you make about the 30" not being updated. Yeah it's definitely a hole in their lineup. Apple is always so sluggish to update their displays, though. I feel your pain. I probably wouldn't buy the 30". If you need another monitor, i'd take a look at some other companies' products to see if one of those fits your needs...

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Apple doesn't make hardware for TV shows, they make it to pull in a profit.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think there are still a fair number of people out there who would want a 30" display for their Mac Pro, or even MBP or Mac mini.

19. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

How much your willing to pay?

You can get a LED Backlit 30-inch from Samsung XL30 new for $2,600 if Apple price their LED 30" Cinema display in that price range would you buy it? I would i'm tired of waiting

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's an Apple Cinema Display so it would likely cost more than that.

21. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I can't believe that there is literally NO ONE in the industry that makes a 30" display with a built-in webcam.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

They're aimed at the professional market. :) At least that's the targeted sales. :D

It adds uneccessary cost, and more importantly, are now considered a security risk in more and more industries. :eek: ;)

23. stormtroopar macrumors member

I agree!! Even for professionals its pretty essential these days to have video conferencing and video chatting.. No reason to not put it, I think for the not so high cost of webcams it would definitely attract more customers if they had it then if they didn't and it would be worth it. But security can be an issue at certain places I suppose... but I don't see it more issues than people who bring their laptops to work that already has webcams.

24. macintel4me macrumors 6502

Here's a great iPhone app for the willing and able. Use the video support in the iPhone 3GS to turn the iPhone into a webcam via Wi-Fi. You could sell tens of thousands of those things at $0.99 or even $1.99 easy.