I wanted to install Windows XP but I screwed up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikepage, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mikepage macrumors newbie

Boot camp.f*#k up

I partitioned it I don't know whether I installed it on the partition or I installed it on the MacOS so now I had installed an operating system on a external hard drive for the Mac but it will not recognize the internal hard drive and the Mac now because it's NT SF whatever so I'm using my Mac book with the external hard drive operating system and my internal hard drive it sees it but I'm not able to access it so my dilemma is unbelievable ?!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if English is your first language, but could you use more coherent sentences please, if possible?
    The second part is hard to understand.

Have you taken a look at Disk Utility and seen what format (file system) the fracked up drive is formatted with? NTFS, Mac OS Extended (HFS+), FAT32 (MS-DOS)?

NTFS can be read by Mac OS X, thus you should be able to access that HDD.

Also a more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

3. mikepage thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know where I screwed up

I put the CD in and the whole thing went through the installation in I selected a drive I think I selected the MacOS drive. So I screwed up because the hard drive in the MacBook does not work is not function it appears on the desktop because

I installed the MacOS on a external hard drive. But the internal hard drive does not respond I want to clean that hard drive and reinstall the operating system in the internal hard drive

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You cannot physically install WinXP on your Mac partition unless you reformated the Mac partition in the XP setup wizard.

If you did that, you'll need to wipe the entire drive using Disk Utility on your OS X DVD and start over from scratch.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could have edited your first thread (title and "content").
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=848301

Have you tried Disk Utility yet?

To reinstall Mac OS X on the internal drive, thus losing all data there, you have to erase your drive (the internal one) via Disk Utility started from the Installer DVD or from the Mac OS X on the external DVD.
    By erasing your drive you can also erase the partitions on there, thus getting it like it was before you used Boot Camp assistant.

PS: I was just going to say, don't make a third thread to answer, but you just made a third thread with the same punctuation-less content.

6. mikepage thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried Disk Utility yet? yes ?

disk utility does not let me erase it

plus when trying to reinstall the hard drive wont show up only the install cd shows up

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at this guide on how to properly use Disk Utility and try the steps taken there.
    http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

Did that work?

8. mikepage thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing yet

I was trying to install Windows XP on the Mac through boot camp. I guess I'm retarded in a way because I installed XP on my on the Mac hard drive for some reason boot camp didn't work. So now I have to install the operating system for my Mac on external hard drive the Mac works the computer itself without the internal hard drive working it appears on the desktop I can access it to a point and then it does not let me run disk utility on it to partition it to a erace it to clean it to format it so I tried disk utilities I tried to CD without the external hard drive try to reformat it with the CD,nothing

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What did you do again?

So I guess the answers you already got in those other threads didn't help you?

Why not answer in a new thread anyway?

10. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Where's the thread title guy with that image? I can't find it or I'd post it :)

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you talking about this?

Also a more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

12. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

YEAH! I saw your post above but didn't know it was you :D

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So any of the five pages in the link I gave you
    http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm
    did not work?

Why are you repeating yourself? I'm a little bit worried.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the laugh.

It's still hard to do, especially when I'm so emotionally invested in this thread.
    It was split in four before, and finally we have one. That's hard work.

PS: This thread looks strange with all the posts put together from four different threads.
    Maybe the OP is afraid to show his face now.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Here's what I think the OP's done (and as you know, it's hard to tell). It looks like he's made his whole drive unbootable somehow (possibly formatted the Mac partition...IDK). Anyway, he can't use your link, because he can't get onto his Mac to use Disk Utility. However, he can use his Mac OSX DVD and he should be golden. Hopefully, he'll understand that, since I see another poster told him the same thing.

Edit: So, he made 4 different threads posting the same thing?? Wow! You ARE patient.

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The link I gave even explains how to use the Installer DVD to get to Disk Utility.

Strange and one kinda laughing out loud (mumbled of course) moment writing about the issue in a speculative way.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, I didn't see the part about the DVD in that link. Oh well, hopefully he'll read something in this thread or the link and he can start all over.

19. mikepage thread starter macrumors newbie

so went ahead and called Apple and a had to pay up to 50 bucks .so you have to put the windows cd back in and delete ntfs then use mac cd

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm sorry, but that is a bit unbelievable. The Mac OS X Installer DVD and Disk Utility on it should have solved that problem for you.
    The Windows CD does nothing that Disk Utility at least couldn't reverse somehow.

But if it works, than all is good.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The Mac OSX DVD with Disk Utility formats the HD for installing OSX. The Windows XP DVD formats the HD for NTFS or FAT32 for installing XP. You shouldn't have had to do what whoever you called said

22. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Ok.

1) Put Mac OS X CD in the computer.
    2) Reboot
    3) Press and hold C until it boots from the CD
    4) Find Disk Utility
    5) Format it.
    6) Install OS X.

23. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Wow - Better answer than you got from Apple and he didn't even charge $50...

24. dashcs macrumors regular

Apple charged you cause your out of warrenty.
    I'm sorry but if you want help from applecare and dont have support,your paying.Easy/Hard question,That how it is.

At any rate,you could had check the apple website for help which you have access 24/7 for free

This article has your issue but whatever,everything is up and running.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2176