I wanted to love you Mighty Mouse, I really did.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macDonalds, Mar 22, 2009.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I purchased a bluetooth Mighty Mouse last week. I knew about all the hate prior to, but I just couldn't resist. I have this problem where I like my electronics to flow, for lack of a better word. I don't like to mix and match.

So I used her for about a week. Yeah, she had some short comings, for sure - too minimal almost. No buttons to program for forward/backward; a pinch button that required way too much force to execute, and the eventual killer for me - ergonomics.

The damn thing hurt my hand and wrist!

Yup, already a couple of hours off of it (now using the Logitech MX Revolution) and I have zero hand fatigue.

It's really too bad. I did love the trackball and bluetooth so much.

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am using one right now and although I don't think it is as bad as you say I am underwhelmed as well. It is definitely not the best design Apple has ever done. But then again, when has Apple ever had a good mouse design?

Maybe in a couple of years they'll actually produce a mouse worthy of their name like they did with the recent keyboard because the BT convenience is just awesome.

3. TheRockinDonkey macrumors newbie

I just ordered one of these because I'm not real happy with the touchpad on my macbook. Does it have any trouble detecting a left vs. right click? Also, the display model was broken. How well-built is it?

Thanks.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i have never experienced 'hand fatigue' with a mouse before. although, i am a mechanic and i assume when you work with your hands all day that they gain strength.

you may just have a case of the limp wrist :)

haah just kidding. the only thing i don't like about the mighty mouse is the tendency for the scroll ball to stop working (unless you regularly clean it, that is)

5. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of people complain that the trackball will stop working because it gets clogged up with dirt. I have a feeling it's easy to fix, but be aware of that.

As far as the clicking is concerned - it's touch sensitive. You cannot right click while your index finger is on the left side. You'll have to adjust to this by lifting your index when right clicking. Kind of annoying but I managed.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I found the exact same thing. I only used the Mighty Mouse (wireless and wired, swapped my just purchased 2008 iMac for a 2009) for a few days. My hand would hurt after using it for a few hours. The wired one was worse because the edge would end up resting on the cord and then you couldn't activate the buttons! I have an MX Revolution and a matching DiNovo keyboard now and I love them. So many more options. I use back when I'm browsing non-stop so I didn't give the Mighty Mouse much hope from day 1. The thumb wheel works great for spaces and dashboard, and the "Freewheeling" scroll wheel is awesome. I want another one for work but can't justify the cost!

7. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I wish i had read all these complaints before i forked out all the money to buy a new mighty mouse and keyboard to go with my new to me but old imac G4.

So far i love the keyboard and the mouse isn't too bad but i havn't used them for extended periods of time yet. I already lift my left finger off to right click so that's not a problem but the pinch feature is annoying and I will probably just forget about trying to use it to short cut to places.

Any even with its downfalls the new mighty mouse is better then my old one which didn't have a scroll ball or a right click button.

8. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

There are many people who like the Mighty Mouse, myself included, so don't worry about what you read here too much. The only thing to worry about is using the track ball while eating.

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

dam i love eating while using the comp :rolleyes:

Yeh i'm sure ill like the mouse as well particularly since I can't really afford to pay $65 for a mouse and not like it.

10. zen macrumors 68000

zen

The Mighty Mouse is possibly the worst peripheral design ever. Even the old hockey puck iMac mouse was more comfortable to use.

Go Logitech. MX518 is the best mouse I've ever used.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The mouse is not really touch sensitive. It recognizes which side of the mouse you pushed down. I always have a finger on the right and left side at the same time and I don't have problems with a right or left click.

As for the scroll ball, I have to clean it once a month. It's not hard to clean and maybe takes about 10 seconds, but it is kind of annoying to have to do.

12. DarrenG macrumors regular

I'm a fan, I had issues with an early model losing right-click constantly but a recent model is fine.

I can't get right-click unless I lift the left finger though, not an issue for me but strange that you can?

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

It's certainly not made for everyone, but neither are Logitech mice. Personally I hate these "ergonomic" mice that force you to hold your hand in one exact position. Anyway I don't like using a mouse anymore, I'll take my wacom tablet & its stylus over a mouse any day.

14. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Problem with the left and right click is that you can't do both at the same time, and I found I needed to for a couple of apps and several games I played. That pretty much rendered the MM completely useless anyway, if my wrist hadn't developed shooting pains after three days (3!!) of use.

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you don't put pressure on the finger that's over the left mouse button, you should be fine.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've actually become very used to mine. I like it.

However, I also recognise that it could be significantly better, and it's rather inexcusable that Apple have allowed it to flounder without an update for so long. I don't know about you, but I think the pictures of it with the nice new iMacs etc just look silly.

Plus Apple must have to replace loads of them due to the scroll ball. We've had, oo, four new ones now I think at the office. Again, I never have a problem with mine, but some folk do seem to gunk them up beyond repair very effectively.

Perhaps 2009 will finally bring a new MM...

17. Manwithnoname macrumors newbie

With the new iMac Im ordering shall I go for the Wireless MM and WIRED keyboard?

I ask this because I think that having a USB on the keyboard would be a huge advantage and then it'l only be one lead connecting to the screen.

Or shall I get both wireless?

18. pfleischman macrumors member

Logitech G5 FTW! Best mouse i've ever used. I have a SteelSeries mouse pad as well.

19. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The MX Revolution from Logitech is the mouse Apple wish they had made! :p

If you haven't used that scroll wheel, you won't know what I'm talking about. If you have, then you are converted for life! :eek:

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

If it were bluetooth... I am going to have to the Desktop MX 5500 Revolution and figure out what to do with the keyboard.

21. RobP macrumors member

I seem to have got into the habit of my fore finger covering the right button along with my index finger for right clicks. For left clicks my fore then heads back to the left button.

I have had the Mac for about 2 weeks now and I don't even realise I'm doing it, though I do catch myself doing it in work where they have windows based machines!

RobP

22. thecite macrumors newbie

Hm.

Funny, I'd seen the mighty mouse many times and used it 3 or 4 times prior to getting my Mac 2 days ago, and I thought that it was a completely stupid impractical thing. However, upon receiving my iMac, within a day I'd completely come to love the thing. It matches perfectly, the buttons work seamlessly with the OS, especially the grip button, and it feels great in my hand. So I'm a full converter.

23. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Lemme know the address of your local hospital so I can send you flowers and a card this time next year after you've had your wrist surgery.

24. thecite macrumors newbie

Well at least it beats the crap out of the puck mouse. I almost threw that thing out of the window on various occasions, until I just got a microsoft mouse.
    I've been using a PS/2 logitech mouse for a few years, and the mighty mouse feels better. Although I was recently deciding whether I should buy the insanely expensive Hippus handshoe mouse. Maybe if the mighty mouse breaks my wrist.

25. 929406 macrumors regular

I quite like my wireless mighty mouse, it is a little heavy with the two batteries but love the scroll wheel and the fact it wakes up when I plug in my laptop. Plus blue tooth frees up one of the usb slots!