Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
If you want to reduce my identity to the computer I own, technically, I'm a MacBook Pro.

I started with an original IBM PC 8086, then 8088, skipped 80286, then 80386, quite a few 486's, Pentiums, and up. For years I told myself that Windows was better and I could build a more capable machine for less money than a Mac. Well, the new Macbook Pro won me over.

Actually, the iPhone got me a few days before... coincidentally my Vista laptop died right after that and just days after the MBP arrived in Vancouver. So here I am -- I dumped everything Windows and I'm now running a 2.4 MBP with 4 gigs of RAM (going to 6) and I swapped in a WD Scorpio Black 320 gig 7200 RPM that was in my previous laptop.

MAN THIS THING IS FAST. And not in benchmarks but in real world snappiness. I'm trying to imagine when SSDs are big enough to bother and what it will be like then, but I credit the improvements to OS X and not to any huge jump in hardware level. The simple act of moving large files around is so much smoother in OS X. And it feels like my 4 gigs of RAM goes much further... going between LR 2 and CS 4 is so much faster it is embarassing to say I held out with Vista for so long.

ubestbsteppin

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
If you want to reduce my identity to the computer I own, technically, I'm a MacBook Pro.

Actually, the iPhone got me a few days before... coincidentally my Vista laptop died right after that and just days after the MBP arrived in Vancouver. So here I am -- I dumped everything Windows and I'm now running a 2.4 MBP with 4 gigs of RAM (going to 6) and I swapped in a WD Scorpio Black 320 gig 7200 RPM that was in my previous laptop.

Not sure you'll be able to go to 6gig of ram ATM. However, with this news that the chipset actually supports 8gig ram, maybe you'll be able to soon.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Edit: I was wrong, kind of? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/573906/

cogmission

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008

I started with an original IBM PC 8086, then 8088, skipped 80286, then 80386, quite a few 486's, Pentiums, and up. For years I told myself that Windows was better and I could build a more capable machine for less money than a Mac. Well, the new Macbook Pro won me over.

MAN THIS THING IS FAST. And not in benchmarks but in real world snappiness. I'm trying to imagine when SSDs are big enough to bother and what it will be like then, but I credit the improvements to OS X and not to any huge jump in hardware level. The simple act of moving large files around is so much smoother in OS X. And it feels like my 4 gigs of RAM goes much further... going between LR 2 and CS 4 is so much faster it is embarassing to say I held out with Vista for so long.

Welcome aboard! I myself wouldn't have touched apple products before its UNIX underpinnings, but ever since I have love their products...

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
From one switcher to another, I say welcome Pilgrim.:cool:
We now have 2 refubed BMB's with 4MB of Ram, sweet little speedsters, my wife has just switched as well. We love OSX, and especially our do everything MB's.
Right out of the box they just ran. They self updated, immediately after self configuring them selves to my WiFi, easily got us hooked up to our e-mail, and we were off and running. I like iWork, She likes MS Office for the Mac,when all is said and done, we are thrilled with our decision to switch. I know you will be too;)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I'm relatively new to Mac too. I used PC's/Microsoft for 14+ years, never really "liking" them, but assuming software incompatibility issues would make switching over "too frustrating." My switching over began last year with the original iPhone. After getting it, and using it for a year (now have the iPhone 3G) and seeing how intuitive the operating system was, I decided to dip in the Mac waters a little bit this year after getting the 3G opening day. I purchased a really good condition 12" Powerbook for a steal to try out OSX, and as soon as I booted it up, I was hooked. I mean, when a 4+ year old machine can seemingly keep up with all the current PC laptops I have owned in the past few years, AND just the fact that the machine was OVER 4 YEARS OLD, and looked and operated as if it just came from the factory (spoke volumes to me about build quality--no PC laptop I've owned has lasted more than 2 years), I knew I was foolish for not switching earlier. I knew if this 4 year old machine could seem to me to be as fast as any current PC laptop I have, a new Mac would blow me away with its speed. Well, as soon as the new MacBooks were released, I was at the Apple Store early the next day, walking out with a new MBP 15". Needless to say, I feel like I'm on the fastest computer in the world now, compared to the 2 newer Vista machines I still own (in a closet somewhere now!). Since the switchover, I've really not ran into any problems that "kept" me from making the switch before this year. I use the MBP at home and work, because I can't stand to use the PC's that run my point of sale software at work (I use BootCamp to run XP on my MBP because it even feels much faster running XP than a PC), and because I literally LOVE using my precious Mac. My employees look at me a little funny sitting in my office using a "small laptop screen", when I have a brand new 27" Gateway Hi-Def monitor sitting beside it on my desk(hooked up to my work PC), but I can't stand being on that dreaded machine any more than I have to! And....as soon as Apple has the adapters for sale to hook my MBP up to that monitor(hoping they do!), I may just put that stupid PC into storage. And I've even helped to switch 2 people to Mac already, with just my experience with it. Two of my employees have loved both of my machines so much (when I've actually let anyone touch them!), that one has switched over already, and the other is looking for a good second-hand BlackBook for his first Mac.
Anyway...that's just a bunch of rambling by me that I thought I'd share.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Congrats on your MBP and may both you and your MBP live long and prosper together. It's a terrific machine (I have one and am very happy with it, and I'm a satisfied switcher, too) and you'll love it.
Cheers

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
ah the old halo effect......it's almost got me too

I've barely touched my iPhone since I bought the MBP :D Go for it. It is like a big, beautiful iPhone with a keyboard.

I've been trying to explain today to a friend what the snappiness is like since we never had any issues with Vista... OS X is just better. Lighter, airier, more responsive and less in the way. I always felt like I was dealing with Vista or working around it and with the Mac, I don't have to think about what the computer is messing around with in the background while I'm trying to get things done.

And as a fan of minimalism design the new aluminum cases are worthy of many awards. Previous to this, the Mac asthetic seemed plasticky when white, but these new models are in another league from any other laptop available.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
I always felt like I was dealing with Vista or working around it and with the Mac, I don't have to think about what the computer is messing around with in the background while I'm trying to get things done.

Agreed.

When, I switched it was the first thing I appreciated. The interaction between the OS X, apps and myself is so much more seamless than working with Windows. Now, I just think about what I want to do, not how I need to do it.

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Congrats & Welcome to the OP!

I got caught in the iPod halo-effect at Christmas 2005 and bought an iMac in January 2006 and have never looked back. I'm still in awe of the fact my MBP runs Windows XP on Parallels faster than my Dell XPS1710 does.

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Newsflash: New machines are faster.

Funny, but my Vista laptop was purchased in the past year and given the lack of update on the Macbook specs, they were nearly identical in hardware:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-v1s-b1-core/4505-3121_7-32658944.html

2.4ghz Core 2 Duo and I put in 4 gigs of RAM (though DDR2) and was using the exact same WD Scorpio Black 7200 RPM drive... so you actually couldn't get much closer for a comparison. I had used the original Vista x86 Business that came installed with it, I had re-installed to a clean Vista x86, and I had recently switched it to a clean Vista 64, so I had wide range of experience with that laptop and Vista. (As well as a homebuilt Vista desktop on a similar spec-level and previous Vista laptop.)

seafurydriver

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Same here...PC for 23 years and now a Mac.

1. 1986 original Compaq suitcase 8088 PC
2. 87-88 used Mac SE computer on campus. Loved it, but couldn't run everything and business use was extremely limited.
3. 88-07 286s, 386s, 486s etc. and all the fun with Windows, drivers, non-compatible devices.
4. 07 Bought the first iPhone. Wow, it just works
5. 08 Bought the iPhone 3G, followed two months later by the iMac, followed by the MBP this week. There is no looking back.

I firmly believe that the iPhone will be a strong conduit for others like me to make the switch to Apple and Macs. Even though Apple's advertisements are wonderful there is nothing like using an iPhone to see that the technology just works better than anything else out there.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the mac side, I jumped in 2003 and have never looked back. Enjoy your machine and enjoy the slightly easier life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.