I was charged full price for Lion :(

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RamJetWorm, Jul 20, 2011.

1. RamJetWorm macrumors newbie

Having purchased a brand new Macbook Pro just 3 weeks ago, I was told that the upgrade to Lion would be free.
    Not so, I've just been charged £20.99 at the App Store. :confused:

I can find no instructions on the Apple web site giving advice on how to get this for free for people who bought a new Mac recently.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the other posts here, I think you needed to go to a specific area to download your free copy of Lion.

3. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

You should have followed the up to date link and not bought it through the app store.

4. RamJetWorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I didn't realise that I had to go through that URL.
    I tried searching Apple's web site but didn't see any information and I never got any email from Apple advising me that I should have done this.

5. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Directions are hard to follow aren't they?

6. RamJetWorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah especially when you get none in the first place. ;)

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

How would Apple know that your Mac App Store purchase ID belongs to the specific mac you purchased? Is it magically supposed to look up your serial number?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Although you may not have been handed directions, I think I would have searched google or something like this site before I went to the App store. How is the App Store going to know that you have SL and you bought your machine 3 weeks ago?

9. RamJetWorm thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told by an Apple rep that as long as I used the same Apple login that I used to purchase the MacBook Pro, then I would be okay.
    I only have one ITunes account so thought I'd be ok.

Oh well never mind, you live and learn.
    I've emailed ITunes and explained the situation, maybe they will refund me.

10. monksealpup macrumors regular

You're new to the Internets/these forums, aren't you? :p

11. Illusion986 macrumors 6502

Illusion986

Lets see apple products...magic track pad, magic mouse, iPad was introduces as magic........so is it magically supposed to look up your serial number?
    HELL YES!!!!

12. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

They'd need to keep a database of purchase dates, which is not feasible except by Apple Retail. They have many resellers and this isn't really possible without systems that just don't exist. Just go to the link, somebody checks it over and you get Lion, simple stuff

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Lovin' your sig.

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I think you're all being a bit too harsh here. :)

It's perfectly reasonable for a casual user to assume Apple would nursemaid folks through a purchase like this after plugging in your Apple ID. Realistic? No. But I can understand the OP's disdain.

Hell, I signed up for the "Notify Me" option and still haven't been contacted.

15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It's $30, not THAT big of a deal. If it really bothers you, though, go ahead and contact Apple customer support. I'm sure they'd work out a refund with you, especially if all you want is Mac App Store credit back.

16. RobTheGob macrumors newbie

I think the free update process is pretty simple (especially compared to *other* manufacturers), but lets face it - no "magic" would be involved here.

Surely "Apple" could look up an "Apple" serial number (and purchase date) of an "Apple" product in an "Apple" database...

17. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

On the thread below, one member states (post #30) that he didn't know about the link to upgrade site, but after talking with Apple support, he got a refund. The upgrade website isn't working for a number of us (it's not recognizing some serial numbers).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191066&page=2

18. neal.young macrumors member

Call/email Apple, and they'll almost certainly give you a refund. They're normally really good about things like this.