Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
so, like a month or two ago.
the day of my sisters grad from highschool.
i was on my way back from dropping my parents off at there car after the grad ceremony and i rolled through a stop sign.
so as he was getting my info and stuff, he asked if i was on probation.
which i am, whole new story for another day.
so, yada yada yada 3 cops start searching my car when im in the back seat of there car. (they can search anything i have because im on probation, and other stuff like that).
they freaking destroyed like everything in my car (still pissed and haven't cleaned it up), and in my trunk they found a lacrosse stick.
it didn't have a net or handle.
this is because this is a back up stick which has a dent. i do not keep a net or handle on it because i have my own.

anyway, to the real problem.
they took the stick and sent me on my way, after telling me i was "charged" with a concealed weapon.
but they didn't give me anything, no papers nothing at all.
its been like 2 months now and i haven't heard from them.

any ideas? advice?

im seriously thinking of just going to the station and demanding it back. yes its dented, but i liked that stick and i used it for backup.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Do it!
I bet the cops stole it.

One time my friends and I got in trouble for smoking salvia, which is legal.
The cops were really stupid and didn't know what salvia was so they thought it was weed.
They were total jerks.
And on top that, they took our salvia and never gave it back!
WTF.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
so as he was getting my info and stuff, he asked if i was on probation.
which i am, whole new story for another day.

That depends. Are you on probation for beating a man into a soggy with a lacrosse stick?

But yes, it does sound to me like your rights were trodden upon.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
That depends. Are you on probation for beating a man into a soggy with a lacrosse stick?

But yes, it does sound to me like your rights were trodden upon.

no, vandalism
i was doing burn outs, and everyone bailed and a cop saw me doing it for like 5 min.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
In the trunk is not a concealed weapon. It has to be "within immediate reach", i.e. inside the cab of your car (back seat or front seat does not matter).

I don't know what your past is, but if you are a felon you might not be able to have any weapon at all in your possession, concealed or not.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
In the trunk is not a concealed weapon. It has to be "within immediate reach", i.e. inside the cab of your car (back seat or front seat does not matter).

I don't know what your past is, but if you are a felon you might not be able to have any weapon at all in your possession, concealed or not.

true sounds like the cops abused their power

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
ya not a felon.

ya i don't think it helped that at the end of it i just had my hands raised on my head in disbelief saying "It's a Lacrosse stick"

he called two other cop cars when he searched my car.
and he asked me if i was high like ten times.
they handled me like when i was at jail, (for vandalism, i spent the night) they held my hands like as if i was on pcp, and they kicked out my leg when they said spread my legs when they searched me.

ya a bunch of other random funny things happened to.
they randomly said when was the last time i shot up.
when i was in the back of the car, when he found the stick in the trunk, he was like "joe (tapping the stick on the hood of the cop car) we got a 3894 here".
he also told asked me to roll up my window (to check the tint, which is illegal) and on my car you tap the switch and it automatically rolls up all the way, and when it was almost closed he took a step back and put his hand on his gun and said really sternly says "sir roll the window back down, now!!"
when i appeared 1 hour late for my sis grad dinner, they all waited, all like 20 - 30 people. and i was like in front of everyone,
"im sry im late"
what were you doing?
"o ya..., i just got charged with concealed weapon ( and now the 3 waiters were there)."
i guess that was a had to be there moment but it was hilarious what there faces looked like.

o ya, when he questioned me about the stick when they found it, he straight up said did you beat someone with this and make this dent.

there was a bunch of other random as s*#( things that happened, it lasted like an hour or more.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
o ya, when he questioned me about the stick when they found it, he straight up said did you beat someone with this and make this dent.

"Don't make me put a big ass dent in my new stick, brotha!" </stern voice>

Write down all the little things that happened, go to the police, and ask them what they have on your file with regards to this incident. Tell them you were given no "papers" by the policemen, and tell them you feel as though the policemen who searched your car seemed very unprofessional, and make accusations that were below any level of common sense. Tell someone at the police station all the little things you wrote down at home, and see if these cops did anything wrong. I'm sure they did, but it's better to hear it from someone at the station.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If your probation officer is a dillweed, you might get violated next time you check in.

Clearing it up as quickly as possible and likely getting a lawyer may be a good idea, at least that way you can ask the best way to clear it up -- and whether filing a complaint may be in order, or simply letting it go and getting the charge dropped.

Likely the charge will get dropped, but what happens and is said between the cop and the probation officer (or simply on the report) in the meantime can be critical.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Yes you definitely need to go down to the station and possibly filing a complaint. I hope you got their badge number. If your prob. officer is fair, well even if s/he isn't you should probably give them a heads up even asking for a suggestion wouldn't be out of line. Good luck either way

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hi Ben,

Personally, I'd follow up on the concealed weapon charge, but not worry about retrieving the stick. why?

why? b/c the stick is likely gone for starters and if the station starts an investigation or even talks to the cops about it, the cops might get pissy and if they were to ever stop you again for something dumb...they might take it a bit far.

but definitely check out the charge. doesn't like like they did charge you if you haven't received any papers or anything.

good luck,
keebler

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
hi Ben,

Personally, I'd follow up on the concealed weapon charge, but not worry about retrieving the stick. why?

why? b/c the stick is likely gone for starters and if the station starts an investigation or even talks to the cops about it, the cops might get pissy and if they were to ever stop you again for something dumb...they might take it a bit far.

but definitely check out the charge. doesn't like like they did charge you if you haven't received any papers or anything.

good luck,
keebler

I'd second this. The stick is gone, move on, but if there is something on your record which you need to address via a court appearance or other means then you need to know before you get pulled over for skipping court or failure to pay a fine.

As for searching the car, as I understand it, if they think you're acting suspicious at all they can search your vehicle from top to bottom and leave it in shambles because it is a mobile scene and getting a warrant would allow you to move the car and remove anything you were trying to hide. They are under no obligation to tidy up after themselves and there's very little you can do about it. I'm not saying that the cops were right to do it but the fact that you were on probation probably didn't help, did you explain what you were on probation for or did you just say you were on probation?

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Do it!
I bet the cops stole it.

One time my friends and I got in trouble for smoking salvia, which is legal.
The cops were really stupid and didn't know what salvia was so they thought it was weed.
They were total jerks.
And on top that, they took our salvia and never gave it back!
WTF.

I was caught with salvia with my buddy. Same thing. They took it, and we didnt get it back

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
ya im on informal probation, so no probation officer.

i think im just going to talk to my moms lawyer and forget about the stick.
luckily this was just an alloy stick which is like $40-50, **** had this been my carbon stick, i don't even want to think about that.

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
ya im on informal probation, so no probation officer.

i think im just going to talk to my moms lawyer and forget about the stick.
luckily this was just an alloy stick which is like $40-50, **** had this been my carbon stick, i don't even want to think about that.

yeah i would just make sure they didn't actually write you up (which it sounds like they didn't) but i wouldn't try getting the stick back. chances are when they found out you were on probation they figured they'd try some 'scare him straight' tactics or something. also, i mean, i know your stick isn't a weapon, but someone who is already in trouble, carrying around a big stick with a dent in it, maybe they thought you were busting windows or busting heads. either way, going after them for it might just put the spotlight on you, and until your probation is over you probably don't want the attention.

i would definitely check on the charge tho, because you don't want to miss a court date and make the problem worse.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
yeah i would just make sure they didn't actually write you up (which it sounds like they didn't) but i wouldn't try getting the stick back. chances are when they found out you were on probation they figured they'd try some 'scare him straight' tactics or something. also, i mean, i know your stick isn't a weapon, but someone who is already in trouble, carrying around a big stick with a dent in it, maybe they thought you were busting windows or busting heads. either way, going after them for it might just put the spotlight on you, and until your probation is over you probably don't want the attention.

i would definitely check on the charge tho, because you don't want to miss a court date and make the problem worse.

ya i got to check this out,
because on my probation, if i get any felony charges, i get fed in the a.
haha i just got back from playing lacrosse :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.