Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oohitztommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
After owning the iPad 2 since launch date I decided it was time for an upgrade. i was very excited for the iPad pro9.7 before it came out but after seening the specs I had a change of heart, it wasn't for me. Lucky I seen these deals for the iPad pro 12.9 for 150 off so I ended up buying one. Did anyone else on here felt the way I felt and got the iPad pro 12.9?

Reactions: sracer

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
CHeck ebay and swappa.com. Lotsa of pros on sale.

PIcked a 12'9 LTE model with apple care and covers and screen protecto for 850

I see one in swappa for 830 right now.

Reactions: garymontague

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
After owning the iPad 2 since launch date I decided it was time for an upgrade. i was very excited for the iPad pro9.7 before it came out but after seening the specs I had a change of heart, it wasn't for me. Lucky I seen these deals for the iPad pro 12.9 for 150 off so I ended up buying one. Did anyone else on here felt the way I felt and got the iPad pro 12.9?

The 9.7 looks prettier, with its fancy new screen and better camera, but the 12.9 is more of a workhorse - 4GB RAM, faster processor, faster graphics and USB 3 support.

Actually, if the Mini came in a 256GB model, I would have snapped that up.

Reactions: LiveM

oohitztommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
CHeck ebay and swappa.com. Lotsa of pros on sale.

PIcked a 12'9 LTE model with apple care and covers and screen protecto for 850

I see one in swappa for 830 right now.
I purchased mine through Amazon for 846. I seen a rose gold 128 for as low at 828 but I'm a space grey kinda of guy
[doublepost=1458933881][/doublepost]
The 9.7 looks prettier, with its fancy new screen and better camera, but the 12.9 is more of a workhorse - 4GB RAM, faster processor, faster graphics and USB 3 support.

Actually, if the Mini came in a 256GB model, I would have snapped that up.
The 9.7 would be perfect if it had 4 Gg of ram. That was the deciding factor because I try to keep my gadgets at long as possible. Also for an extra 100 I would get a bigger size screen with 128gb

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
I'm getting mine for graphic design, to replace sketch books and notebooks. While it goes against all my "bigger is better" inclinations, I'd rather have the smaller, more portable one. I guess I just know myself better now, and realize that I would use a smaller one more often, and that's what matters. Ordered the 9.7" yesterday.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
So glad so many people started dumping their Pros to upgrade. I always wanted an LTE model but that sucker was wayy too expensive. At least now if i decide down the line i dont like it, i wont loose as much to resell or break even. Those early adopters took a really big financial hit.

Reactions: StPatty33

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, if I had an iPad 2 I wouldn't even know what good specs were.

If you wanted a 9.7' iPad just ask yourself:

Do I need the Apple Pencil and have a decent of money to burn?
If yes: Buy the iPad Pro 9.7'
If no: Buy the iPad Air 2 with very similar specs

The 12.9' is for those who really need/want a big screen and are going to use an iPad as a workhorse rather than just media consumption, and are able to sacrifice portability for this.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Honestly, if I had an iPad 2 I wouldn't even know what good specs were.

If you wanted a 9.7' iPad just ask yourself:

Do I need the Apple Pencil and have a decent of money to burn?
If yes: Buy the iPad Pro 9.7'
If no: Buy the iPad Air 2 with very similar specs

The 12.9' is for those who really need/want a big screen and are going to use an iPad as a workhorse rather than just media consumption, and are able to sacrifice portability for this.

The specs of the Air 2 are no way similar to the 9.7" Pro. There is more to the 9.7" pro then just the pencil. Yes it does come down to ones uses and needs but overall the new 9.7" does provide significant improvements over the Air 2 and the pencil is just one of them.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I purchased mine through Amazon for 846. I seen a rose gold 128 for as low at 828 but I'm a space grey kinda of guy
[doublepost=1458933881][/doublepost]
The 9.7 would be perfect if it had 4 Gg of ram. That was the deciding factor because I try to keep my gadgets at long as possible. Also for an extra 100 I would get a bigger size screen with 128gb
rose gold doesn't exist

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
I know some lawyers including a senior partner in my firm absolutely love their IPP. Me? My IPP is my 12" retina MacBook. But I've eBay'd my Air 2 and I'm getting the 9.7 pro

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I know some lawyers including a senior partner in my firm absolutely love their IPP. Me? My IPP is my 12" retina MacBook. But I've eBay'd my Air 2 and I'm getting the 9.7 pro

I have a 13" Retina MacBook Pro so I can't justify getting the 12.9" Pro. I'm replacing my Air 2 with a 9.7" Pro. I often travel with both my MacBook Pro and iPad so having a 12.9" iPad Pro wouldn't really be practical or make sense.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
The specs of the Air 2 are no way similar to the 9.7" Pro. There is more to the 9.7" pro then just the pencil. Yes it does come down to ones uses and needs but overall the new 9.7" does provide significant improvements over the Air 2 and the pencil is just one of them.

Again, I've addressed this multiple times and won't address it again.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006

I disagree with this statement. The 12.9-inch model isn't a tiny tablet by any means, but to claim its not portable is incorrect. Go look at the measurements of a MacBook and see how they're almost the exact same size.

fullsizerender-4.jpg

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I'm replacing my Air 2 with a 9.7" Pro.
Don't try and justify wasting your money.
LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE, take off the apple shades and pay attention to everyday use metrics, not some geekbench scores which in theory paint little to no picture because or the marginal gains as to how the device will function for day to to day basic use as most of you will use it. If you don't NEED the pencil then there will be no difference in daily use. So just say it! You are buying it because you have money burning a hole in your pocket and regardless of what apple would of released, you were going to justify the purchase because you have been waiting to upgrade and you are dying to spend the money. TRUTH!
[doublepost=1458935703][/doublepost]
I disagree with this statement. The 12.9-inch model isn't a tiny tablet by any means, but to claim its not portable is incorrect. Go look at the measurements of a MacBook and see how they're almost the exact same size.

fullsizerender-4.jpg

I meant 'some portability' - of course you can carry it around but it's not a device which you would take with with you everywhere in your bag etc like an iPad Mini or iPad Air to some extent.
[doublepost=1458935889][/doublepost]
Since you are unable to read what I've written in almost identical threads:

If you plan on taking photographs with a 10 inch tablet and want a 10% faster processor, be my guest.

And as if you'll notice the 2 more LTE bands, whatever difference that will make. What a joke!

The only noticeable difference IS the Apple Pencil support.

'The specs are not similar' are you serious?
CPU is 10% faster with less cores. RAM is the same. You're just trying to justify wasting your money, once again!

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey

fullsizerender-4.jpg

As an owner of the 12.9" iPad Pro, I just want to point out a couple of things:

Many want to compare the iPad Pro to the 12" Retina MacBook. IMO you can't really compare these two. The iPad Pro is actually a much more powerful machine in terms of speed, graphics and screen resolution. The MacBook uses a second tier processor specifically for power saving and low heat measures that allow the MacBook to be so thin and still get acceptable battery life. It is the least powerful mac that is currently sold.

While the iPad Pro does weigh less, most people will want to put a case with some sort of stand on the iPad or else it is difficult to use on a table or in many other situations. Most people don't bother putting any kind of case on the MacBook. So once you account for the weight and size of a case, the iPad Pro is probably going to weigh more than the MacBook, although just slightly more.

I think if you are someone who has a MacBook Pro or iMac and you are getting an iPad to be a more portable companion device, then the 9.7 or iPad Mini would be most suitable. If you are hoping to replace your Mac with an iPad, then the 12.9 is the one to go with. It is extremely portable compared to a MacBook Pro.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
"
I meant 'some portability' - of course you can carry it around but it's not a device which you would take with with you everywhere in your bag etc like an iPad Mini or iPad Air to some extent"

WRONG

if you must carry a bag what you will take? a macbook or an ipad mini pro whatever? Remember no ipad can fit into your pocket to take it without a bag or something
[doublepost=1458937638][/doublepost]"Many want to compare the iPad Pro to the 12" Retina MacBook. IMO you can't really compare these two. The iPad Pro is actually a much more powerful machine in terms of speed, graphics and screen resolution"

WRONG

Since the 12" macbook has an imminent silent update with skylake will be powerful with OSX

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
"
I meant 'some portability' - of course you can carry it around but it's not a device which you would take with with you everywhere in your bag etc like an iPad Mini or iPad Air to some extent"
WRONG
if you must carry a bag what you will take? a macbook or an ipad mini pro whatever? Remember no ipad can fit into your pocket to take it without a bag or something
You realize that the iPad Pro with its accessories weighs twice as much as a regular iPad?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Don't try and justify wasting your money.

[doublepost=1458935703][/doublepost]

I meant 'some portability' - of course you can carry it around but it's not a device which you would take with with you everywhere in your bag etc like an iPad Mini or iPad Air to some extent.
[doublepost=1458935889][/doublepost]
Since you are unable to read what I've written in almost identical threads:

If you plan on taking photographs with a 10 inch tablet and want a 10% faster processor, be my guest.

And as if you'll notice the 2 more LTE bands, whatever difference that will make. What a joke!

The only noticeable difference IS the Apple Pencil support.

'The specs are not similar' are you serious?
CPU is 10% faster with less cores. RAM is the same. You're just trying to justify wasting your money, once again!

10%? You're surely thinking of something else? Even the 9.7" iPad Pro isn't far off double the horsepower of an iPad Air 2. Just check the Apple website comparison chart for a full rundown. But the short version is, iPad Air 2: 1.4X faster than Apple A7. iPad Pro 9.7": 2.4X faster than Apple A7.

I'm with you on the cameras though, cameras on an iPad is just weird. I've never used them and never will. For photography anyway, FaceTime, fair enough.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
10%? You're surely thinking of something else? Even the 9.7" iPad Pro isn't far off double the horsepower of an iPad Air 2. Just check the Apple website comparison chart for a full rundown. But the short version is, iPad Air 2: 1.4X faster than Apple A7. iPad Pro 9.7": 2.4X faster than Apple A7.
Geekbench scores show 4550 for the Air 2 and 5100 for the Pro 9.7.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not at all. Unlike the 9.7" model, the 12.9" iPP will not fit inside my purse.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
The IPP 12.9 is VERY near a sheet of copy paper. It is 8.68x12, copy paper is 8.5x11.

So hold a 1/4 inch stack of copy paper and that's the IPP 12.9 (an inch longer)

Ive never seen one in person but looking at it like that comparison, it's not THAT big.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The IPP 12.9 is VERY near a sheet of copy paper. It is 8.68x12, copy paper is 8.5x11.

So hold a 1/4 inch stack of copy paper and that's the IPP 12.9 (an inch longer)

Ive never seen one in person but looking at it like that comparison, it's not THAT big.
Still wouldn't fit inside my purse and unlike bond paper, I wouldn't be able to fold it in half to fit. The 12.9" iPP is also quite heavier. If I can notice a difference between the Air and 4 (wrist fatigue), then the difference in weight between 9.7" and 12.9" iPP will probably be even more noticeable.

Might be a good fit for other people but not for me.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

In multi-core, indeed the gap is smaller thanks to the iPad Air 2 having a frankly brilliant 3 core CPU compared to the 2 core iPad Pro. I'll never deny how awesome the Air 2 is, I loved mine. But in the real world, a huge amount of apps don't take advantage of that.

Sure heavy duty things like video editing and demanding games will. But for your normal day to day apps like Mail, Safari, Facebook and so on, they lean much more heavily on single core performance. And that's where the Pro blows the Air out of the water.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

For multicore performance (and comparing 3 to 2 cores), yes. The single core performance is basically double, though. And that single core performance does matter in real world scenarios. Think of an app. Most of the apps you think about aren't very heavily threaded. They'll do what they need to, to avoid UI lag, but otherwise the vast majority of their work will happen on a single thread. And it isn't something like 60/40, it's more like 90/10.

So getting much better single-core performance is going to help many apps run that much better. Honestly, the choice to switch back to dual-core processors, even with split-screen being a thing, was the right choice I think. It's greatly improved the single core performance, and so will result in a noticeable improvement over the Air 2 in many scenarios.

Are there scenarios where the gain is modest? Yes. Although those are far fewer than the scenarios where the A9X wins by a healthy margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.