i was given a power mac G5 DP, won't power on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by benjamin.willie, Mar 2, 2012.

1. benjamin.willie macrumors newbie

i was given a power mac G5 DP (2GHZ) it has 8GB RAM (factory, i guess ... it is on the sticker) and no HDDs (donating party wanted them back, i kept the screws for mounting). my problem is that i won't power on. all it does is make that clicking breaker switch type noise and flash the power light and turn off. the fans move slightly during that 1 second that it is on before turning right off. i tried to reset the PMU by pressing the button under the front fans with the unit unplugged. i also tried removing the battery from the logic board and discharging the board by holding the power button for 15 seconds(with battery out and power unplugged). could anyone please help me with this? i would love to get this working for my family to have a common computer to use when ever they like instead of borrowing my macbookpro. thank you for any help.

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Sadly this sounds like the Power Supply in your G5 has gone bad:(. Does the power button Flash more then once? and Is the air deflector in all the way this can make the G5 not start up as well.:apple:

(Power button Led diagnostic codes)
    On and solid Computer is on and running
    2 flashes, pause No memory (RAM) is installed
    3 flashes, pause Incompatible memory (RAM) is installed
    4 flashes, pause No good DIMM banks detected

3. benjamin.willie thread starter macrumors newbie

Psu is bad, good job

I think you're correct on the psu being bad. I noticed that the inside of the case near the psu will shock me.... And the psu is holdin a charge that causes it to make a strange noise when I removed it. Than you for the reply and help.

4. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Yep, that is a bad power supply:(. some part of the psu most have made contact with the medal in the case of the Power supply. This may have zapped the Mother board + CPU's as well:(. Let us know how it goes if you do put a new psu in it the G5's are great Macs:)

5. benjamin.willie thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be sure to post the outcome, thanks again