I was going to buy 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macingman, Oct 5, 2011.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I stayed up all night watching the keynote liveblogs and was incredibly excited and happy about the 4S that I couldn't even sleep for the last hour of the night.

I was going to line up for the 4S and than realized when I picked up my 4 the only difference I will really notice is that voice control thing I will probably use twice a year.

Very underwhelmed now. Long live the iPhone 4. And I'm pretty sure there will be a jailbreak tweak to get siri on older devices running ios5.

2. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I would not sell the Siri thing short until you have had some hands on time with it.

Personally, I see me using it all the time. I see this being way faster than typing web addresses and I will use the heck out of it for adding appointments and reminders!

Having been in I.T. for over 20 years, combined with my personality, nothing worse than waiting on a computer so if applications will load faster, I will also be happier!

I use my iPhone everyday, multiple times a day so $199/$299 is not that big of a deal, especially when I can sell or trade my iPhone4 in for the same or more.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm the opposite - I was not going too, but all that apple did tempts me.

A5
    Better camera
    HSPA+
    Siri

All make this a worthy upgrade, sure many people wanted a thinner, larger different iPhone but this is not a minor update.

4. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

All of these updates are well and good for the American price of $200/$300 but the iPhone 4S in my country will be $900 for the 32GB.

I also don't understand why apple couldn't put Siri in the 4, the Siri app worked fine. I don't justify voice control as a reason to update.

I doubt I will notice any of the speed bumps, I never noticed the difference between my 3GS or 4 or may iPad and iPad 2.

It's all just very clever marketing by apple and not really anything amazing or revolutionary in my opinion. I am sure apple asked Siri questions that that they knew Siri could answer the best at the keynote. Siri would be more useful to me if they allowed third party apps to add their own voice commands though that probably won't happen for a generation or two.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

You probably should have led off with the price you will have to pay as otherwise your post is meaningless.

There are a number of good new features on the phone that you seem to overlook. In truth, however, I am only going to get the 4S because I can get it at a subsidized price. Otherwise I would wait until the iPhone 5 as I would also like a bigger screen and thinner for factor.

6. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

The iPhone 4S is not HSPA+. It's HSPA. Same as 3G, 3GS and 4, but now it's "MIMO" so it goes twice as fast as the previous phones. HSPA+ is 21Mbps.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This. It is not HSPA+

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Will you not get in the habit of double checking things Siri does though. For example, if you say "wake me up at 6am", will you not double check you clock app to make sure it was done (seems important to me). Or, suppose you ask "what iPhone 4S cases are on sale?", would you not manually check other sources looking for better prices/options.

This may just be the case of the companies going paperless actually end up using even more paper in the end. I guess we'll see.

I never use the current voice control and used to have Vlingo, Google, and Siri. They've since been deleted after I realized I never used them either and they just lead to more work in the end.

I agree. This would be a killer feature. I would love to say "Give me directions to the closest Target using TomTom" and have it do that. With the current implementation, it will likely give me directions using the Maps app, which is not helpful. I see this opening up to 3rd party apps sometime next year.

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I spend a couple hours a day driving. Siri will be awesome for me. Being able to dictate and respond to text messages and emails while driving will be great

10. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Double checking shouldn't be a problem since Siri confirms your command and tells you what it did (IE:tell you that it set the alarm to 6am)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh, for some reason I thought it was hspa+ - sorry for the misinformation.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, this is a 3G to 3GS upgrade, I'm not purchasing as I do 2 year upgrades, but I'm more excited about the capacity and processor jump, means there will be at least a 64GB offering next year with the processing and memory upgraded from the 4S.