I was going to buy a new Powerbook but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imbroglio, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. imbroglio macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2005
    I know everyone here has probably asked, answered, pondered, or read about this question at least a dozen times, but I want to get as many opinions as possible cause it's a huge investment.

    Right now I'm using a PC, a Dell, and while it seems to have stablized now, it absolutely snapped while I was still away at school (during finals week of all times). My brother thinks I can probably squeeze one more year out of it, but I didn't want to go through that again. It was an enormous amount of stress for me and I only have one more year to use my education discount anyway.

    So I was all set to buy a new computer, a Powerbook, because I love macs and I swore I'd never buy a Dell again.

    HOWEVER, now I'm hearing all these scary rumours about how if I buy one now, I'll be screwed in three years because of this whole Intel thing. Should I tough it out on my PC for one more year?

    Or I guess the better question is: Does anyone have any information on what the transition will be like in terms of time? How many years will I get out of my Powerbook if I buy it now? I need it to last me at least five without becoming obsolete or spontaneously combusting or anything like that. I just need it to work.

    I also use a lot of intense programs like Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and other graphic/animation programs as well, so that's something else to consider.

    Please help me out here. I'm poor and if this turns out to be a mistake I'll be screwed beyond repair :( . Thanks!
  2. boxcarracer767 macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2005
    I would say buy a Powerbook now. In regard to the Intel switch I would say a new Powerbook with an Intel processor to come around late 2006 or early 2007. Also Apple will continue to support the current PPC Powerbooks with future software and OS due to the millions of other PPC users out there. I bought my Powerbook today considering that in about three years new Intel powerbooks will be out and I would not want to buy a rev A of the powerbook, but probably wait until the rev B Intel powerbooks to come out, that way I could squeeze another year of my powerbook lasting me throughout my 4 years in college. And anyways if there is a current powerbook/ibook update this summer itll probably be something minor such as a speed bump. So in the end if you buy one now you get to use it the rest of summer instead of waiting for an update adding on the usage time until the Intel ones come up, and also you can take advantage of the apple $100 rebate.
  3. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    All of the applications you mention work right now on the current PPC notebooks, why would you expect it to stop working? At the keynote Microsoft, and Adobe promised to bring out universal binaries of their new stuff, so you really have nothing to worry about with a PPC notebook at all.
  4. imbroglio thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2005
    eh, that was really just an addendum pertaining to doubts i had of even buying a laptop to begin with, or if the intel chip would make any difference at all in performance. my pc tends to get very hot and often very slow when i'm running those programs, esp. when i run more than one of them at a time (which i often have to do).
  5. Piarco macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    If you have a look at some of the other threads, a lot of folks have taken the Intel switch news as the green light to buy a Powerbook or iBook now - its fairly clear that all we'll expect is a minor speedbump before the new intel whateverthey'regonnabecalledbooks set released in late 2006. And there is no way you'll get me waiting that long using anything using Windows!!
    Buy now, you won't be disappointed - I will be this week!
  6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

    Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    If the Universal binaries work as advertised, then the move to Intel will be about as much of a problem as the move from G3 to G4 to G5. These were also new CPU chips with very different internal architectures. The point is that no-one cared about the architecture, they just wanted better performance. I predict the move to Intel chips will be the same - everything will just run faster and cooler, transparent to the user. This is crucial for Apple, and I can't see Steve dropping the ball on this one.
  7. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    While I think it will be much sooner than the end of 2006 or first of 2007 when we see Intel in a powerbook, you should buy now. Get out of that crappy Dell and get you a pb. It should last you five years with no problem and the software, if everyone keeps their word will work on your book during that time frame.
  8. everybodylikepi macrumors member


    Mar 12, 2005
    AHA! that explains it. i was wondering what the reason for the rebate was before WWDC. but now apple has to encourage ppl to buy computers that will be outdated sooner then they would be if apple stayed with the PPC.
  9. Ugg macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2003
    There's no roadmap yet and I doubt there will be for a few months yet.

    Reading threads like this, it seems that the Intel announcement has made people realize that buying now is safe as there won't be a G5 PB around the corner. I don't think sales will seriously drop until after X-mas of this year. The PBs are great value right now and they will do what you want them to do just fine. I say buy.

    If you don't need the portability, or at least less portability, the iMac would be a better choice.

Share This Page