I was going to get an iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ManBearWaffle, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I was going to get my first Mac today. I planned on getting an iMac, but my friend told me about the yellow tint issue, and linked me to a few sites (including this one) that talked about it, so now I'm not sure if that's a wise decision. What do you think I should do? Should I get an iMac and hope it doesn't have a yellow screen, and if it does, wait and hope for a fix? Should I look into getting a different computer? I was considering a MacBook Pro, but the i5/i7 rumors make me think buying one now is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: I planned on getting the 27" i7 iMac, if that's of any relevance :)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you have any issues Apple will replace your mac within the first 14 days. After that AppleCare will fix any problems you have. Apple service is generally very good. I say get the iMac now!

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

But tons of people here, report getting multiple replacements with the same yellow tint issue. I'm not sure a replacement will help until the issue is completely fixed. I also don't think Apple will find a solution any time soon, considering the new iMac has been out for 3 months or so.

4. beaner454 macrumors regular

Well first off, unless money is no object, I'd suggest going for the i5. You're really not going to notice that much of a difference between the two chips and you'll save a decent amount of cash going for the i5. Also there's a good chance that you're in a state that doesn't get charged sales tax by Amazon in which case you could save even more.

As for picking up a 27", I'd say go for it. Yes there are reports out there of these issues, but it isn't everyone and you can always swap them out if there is an issue. But it's not every unit that's coming in with these problems.

5. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

Hmm.. Well that's something to consider. I'm still not sure what to do though. Yeah, it's not every unit, but if I have to get tons of replacements like some of the other MacRumors members, it would suck. A $2500 computer shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

6. EuroBrit macrumors member

My iMac from early 2008 has just started developing the lines problem, but I'm out of warranty. :( I haven't heard of the aluminum iMacs having this problem?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I purchased two new 27" iMacs and neither has any problem. One's the Core 2 Duo and the other is the i7..

Keep in mind a great majority of people on MR just like to complain. It's overblown.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I planned on getting an iMac, but my friend told me about the yellow tint issue, and linked me to a few sites (including this one) that talked about it, so now I'm not sure if that's a wise decision. What do you think I should do? Should I get an iMac and hope it doesn't have a yellow screen, and if it does, wait and hope for a fix? Should I look into getting a different computer? I was considering a MacBook Pro, but the i5/i7 rumors make me think buying one now is a bad idea."

If you don't have to have the 27" model, and...
    If you don't have to have "the latest and greatest"...

.... you might consider a 24" refurbished iMac from the Apple Store's "Special Deals" section....

.... and save a good amount of money, too.

I don't think the 24" iMacs had "the yellow tint problem"....

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As 'Peace' mentioned, most of the posts on MR are people trying to get help, hence why the majority may be on the negative side.

I say just buy it now :)

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

You've found groups dedicated to the problem. Its a cross-section of the mac society with the problem. The vast majority of owners that have no problem aren't on message boards complaining they have no problem.

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I was planning on buying the i5 when it came out but after reading about all the problems I keep waiting and waiting to see when the problems are resolved. Plus it's still a 3 week (or more) delay before they can even ship it so no matter what I'll be waiting.

And after all the bad experiences with my macbook I don't want to deal with another Apple computer that is made like junk.

12. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I decided I'm going to wait until after the 27th, to see what Steve Jobs has planned. Maybe he'll talk about a fix or something new and improved. If not, I'll get the 27" with core i5 and 4gb ram (upgrading later). Hopefully it won't be yellow.

13. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Good decision.

14. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I wouldn't worry about; Apple will address any issues while you're under warranty. Obviously, AppleCare is a must.

Habitus :apple:

15. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I doubt that Steve will discuss any issues or fixes at the media event on the 27th. This would be an uncommon topic.

As mentioned, you will only read people with issues, which could only be a minority. Apple has sold a ton of the new iMacs, so not every computer would be perfect.

Two years ago, I bought my 2.8 Extreme Alum iMac while there were pages and pages of issues with the screen. Uneven lighting, yellow tint, etc. AS a graphic designer, the screen was most important! I was nervous to buy the new iMac, but I needed a computer. I took the chance, and I had and have had no issues with this iMac or the screen in 2 years!

I would suggest you go to the Apple store and see for yourself if their iMacs on display show these issues of yellow tint, or lines, etc. If you see none, then buy it. After you purchase it, have the genius open the box and check it out!

I am sure that Apple has been working on this issue for the previous runs on these iMacs. They are tremendously popular and they are selling a lot of them.

Good luck in whatever you decide.