Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I was going to get my first Mac today. I planned on getting an iMac, but my friend told me about the yellow tint issue, and linked me to a few sites (including this one) that talked about it, so now I'm not sure if that's a wise decision. What do you think I should do? Should I get an iMac and hope it doesn't have a yellow screen, and if it does, wait and hope for a fix? Should I look into getting a different computer? I was considering a MacBook Pro, but the i5/i7 rumors make me think buying one now is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: I planned on getting the 27" i7 iMac, if that's of any relevance :)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If you have any issues Apple will replace your mac within the first 14 days. After that AppleCare will fix any problems you have. Apple service is generally very good. I say get the iMac now!

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
If you have any issues Apple will replace your mac within the first 14 days. After that AppleCare will fix any problems you have. Apple service is generally very good. I say get the iMac now!

But tons of people here, report getting multiple replacements with the same yellow tint issue. I'm not sure a replacement will help until the issue is completely fixed. I also don't think Apple will find a solution any time soon, considering the new iMac has been out for 3 months or so.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Well first off, unless money is no object, I'd suggest going for the i5. You're really not going to notice that much of a difference between the two chips and you'll save a decent amount of cash going for the i5. Also there's a good chance that you're in a state that doesn't get charged sales tax by Amazon in which case you could save even more.

As for picking up a 27", I'd say go for it. Yes there are reports out there of these issues, but it isn't everyone and you can always swap them out if there is an issue. But it's not every unit that's coming in with these problems.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Well first off, unless money is no object, I'd suggest going for the i5. You're really not going to notice that much of a difference between the two chips and you'll save a decent amount of cash going for the i5. Also there's a good chance that you're in a state that doesn't get charged sales tax by Amazon in which case you could save even more.

As for picking up a 27", I'd say go for it. Yes there are reports out there of these issues, but it isn't everyone and you can always swap them out if there is an issue. But it's not every unit that's coming in with these problems.
Hmm.. Well that's something to consider. I'm still not sure what to do though. Yeah, it's not every unit, but if I have to get tons of replacements like some of the other MacRumors members, it would suck. A $2500 computer shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

EuroBrit

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Solihull, UK
My iMac from early 2008 has just started developing the lines problem, but I'm out of warranty. :( I haven't heard of the aluminum iMacs having this problem?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
But tons of people here, report getting multiple replacements with the same yellow tint issue. I'm not sure a replacement will help until the issue is completely fixed. I also don't think Apple will find a solution any time soon, considering the new iMac has been out for 3 months or so.

I purchased two new 27" iMacs and neither has any problem. One's the Core 2 Duo and the other is the i7..

Keep in mind a great majority of people on MR just like to complain. It's overblown.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I planned on getting an iMac, but my friend told me about the yellow tint issue, and linked me to a few sites (including this one) that talked about it, so now I'm not sure if that's a wise decision. What do you think I should do? Should I get an iMac and hope it doesn't have a yellow screen, and if it does, wait and hope for a fix? Should I look into getting a different computer? I was considering a MacBook Pro, but the i5/i7 rumors make me think buying one now is a bad idea."

If you don't have to have the 27" model, and...
If you don't have to have "the latest and greatest"...

.... you might consider a 24" refurbished iMac from the Apple Store's "Special Deals" section....

.... and save a good amount of money, too.

I don't think the 24" iMacs had "the yellow tint problem"....

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

You've found groups dedicated to the problem. Its a cross-section of the mac society with the problem. The vast majority of owners that have no problem aren't on message boards complaining they have no problem.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I was planning on buying the i5 when it came out but after reading about all the problems I keep waiting and waiting to see when the problems are resolved. Plus it's still a 3 week (or more) delay before they can even ship it so no matter what I'll be waiting.

And after all the bad experiences with my macbook I don't want to deal with another Apple computer that is made like junk.

ManBearWaffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I decided I'm going to wait until after the 27th, to see what Steve Jobs has planned. Maybe he'll talk about a fix or something new and improved. If not, I'll get the 27" with core i5 and 4gb ram (upgrading later). Hopefully it won't be yellow.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I was going to get my first Mac today. I planned on getting an iMac, but my friend told me about the yellow tint issue, and linked me to a few sites (including this one) that talked about it, so now I'm not sure if that's a wise decision. What do you think I should do? Should I get an iMac and hope it doesn't have a yellow screen, and if it does, wait and hope for a fix? Should I look into getting a different computer? I was considering a MacBook Pro, but the i5/i7 rumors make me think buying one now is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: I planned on getting the 27" i7 iMac, if that's of any relevance :)

I wouldn't worry about; Apple will address any issues while you're under warranty. Obviously, AppleCare is a must.

Habitus :apple:

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I decided I'm going to wait until after the 27th, to see what Steve Jobs has planned. Maybe he'll talk about a fix or something new and improved. If not, I'll get the 27" with core i5 and 4gb ram (upgrading later). Hopefully it won't be yellow.

I doubt that Steve will discuss any issues or fixes at the media event on the 27th. This would be an uncommon topic.

As mentioned, you will only read people with issues, which could only be a minority. Apple has sold a ton of the new iMacs, so not every computer would be perfect.

Two years ago, I bought my 2.8 Extreme Alum iMac while there were pages and pages of issues with the screen. Uneven lighting, yellow tint, etc. AS a graphic designer, the screen was most important! I was nervous to buy the new iMac, but I needed a computer. I took the chance, and I had and have had no issues with this iMac or the screen in 2 years!

I would suggest you go to the Apple store and see for yourself if their iMacs on display show these issues of yellow tint, or lines, etc. If you see none, then buy it. After you purchase it, have the genius open the box and check it out!

I am sure that Apple has been working on this issue for the previous runs on these iMacs. They are tremendously popular and they are selling a lot of them.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.