I was hacked. What are my next steps?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by concerned510, Feb 11, 2014.

1. concerned510 macrumors newbie

I am certain I was hacked as the person who hacked me took photos on my computer and posted them to my account on a website. I'm not sure how they hacked into my computer since my only contact with this person was through Skype. I never clicked any links they sent me nor did I send them any files. What do people suggest I do?

I have backed up all files on my computer and deleted them off my computer. I did not realize my firewall was turned off, so I turned that on immediately and I also encrypted all files on my computer. Do I need to go ahead and restore my macbook air now? I would like to stay away from doing this but I am prepared to do this if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First do a reinstall by erasing your internal drive and doing a Fresh install. Don't use any of your previous passwords for ANYTHING. Also go to Apple -my Apple ID and change the password to something you never use.

Then change the passwords to every web site you use, every email, etc. Consider using a password organizer like 1Password. This will help if you let the program to generate passwords for web sites.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Solid advice. 1pass is good, but make sure you tell your bank etc too. I know it's a hassle, but it's got to be done.

4. concerned510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Could you explain how to erase my internal drive? I have the newer macbook air with a SSD drive.

----------

Also, how does this prevent me from getting hacked by the same person in the future?

5. satcomer, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Erase: Do a reboot and boot into recovery mode and use the menu items to run "Disk Utility" to erase your main drive and then do reinstall (after the erase).

The 1Password generated password is very complex and is portable to many portable devices.

Also if you use Safari go to it's Preferences and uncheck the box for 'Open Safe Files after downloading' because most OS X Trojans exploit this feature. Plus always check your SystemPreferences->Network pane, Advanced, DNS tab and make sure their is ant a strange DNS server sitting in there because some Trojans have taken advantage of this, you might would want to lock you Network pane to help protect. Lastly use some common sense on using your password on files you get from emails, etc.

6. concerned510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again. Is it safe to assume this person will not do this again given that I know their full name and their skype name?

Also, my contact with this person was only through a chat site. I also added them to my Skype but never talked to them on that. How was this person able to hack into my computer and take pictures off my computer?

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You let them in when you authorized a Trojan install or used the same password on a site they also hacked.

8. concerned510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I am an idiot. I erased the HD from the disk utility in the recover mode. However, while there, I tried to reinstall mavericks and it took too long to verify my apple account. I shut my laptop down and now I can get it to start. I get the flashing question folder. Am I screwed now?

9. concerned510 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind. Figured it out.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Social hack and possibly screensharing while skype .