I was invited to a Dinner Party. Anything I need to know???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, Mar 14, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

Hi all,

it was quite strange, actually, that i was invited to this girl's dinner party - not that i dunno her - but i knew her in primary school, we're friends and then we went to different high schools. I haven't contacted her many times after that... now all out of the blue she invited me :p and it's tomorrow lolz. So anything I should know for the dinner party? It's gonna be casual/smart and just chat around.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just go and have a good time. Sometimes, people will bring a bottle of wine, or a small dessert, or some bread to a dinner party. You can do that if you'd like. Definitely send a thank you card afterwards, though.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Dinner Parties are fun. Last time I went to one I ended up just about cooking as the host was struggling, we then played Wii and went home. Good night. :)

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Probably lots of small talk and loads of drink - just don't get smashed, it is easy to do. I speak from experience :)

5. 119576 Guest

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Agreed, don't mix grape and grain. I speak from experience :)

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Expect to eat some dinner as well as party.

And bring a bottle of wine as others have posted.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Indeed, I don't want to give the impression it is just a drinking party, you usually have a proper sit down dinner, so be punctual, as a lot of work will have gone into getting it ready on time! And arriving with a decent bottle of wine, a bit more expensive than you would normally buy for yourself, is always a good idea - especially if the host is a wine buff. Also some flowers or a pot plant for the hostess always goes down well.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You guys know those three dimensional cube pictures that change orientation depending on how you look at them? This sentence kind of reminds me of that. :)

10. geekgirl macrumors regular

If you don't want to bring wine, a box of good quality chocolates will be fine, too (like Choxie from Target - oooo, wish this diet were over).

I would not bring food for the meal or anything (even dessert). The hostess most likely has a set menu, and bringing food would distract from that menu. This is considered a minor faux paux in my area - not enough to keep you from being invited places, but still slightly annoying.

That said, it is considered polite to ask if you can bring anything. Generally, you'll get a "just yourself" answer, but if the hostess is open to having people bring food, then by all means, bring something to share.

Above all, have fun, don't drink too much, and remember to compliment the food/house/dishes, and say "thank you!"

11. Jelite macrumors 6502a

12. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Good advice, I do NOT speak from experience :)

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Find out what her definition of a dinner party is.

Because when me and my friends have a dinner party it means. A hearty beef tri-tip and cheese laden potatoes or just a bunch of 1/2lb Guacamole-Bacon-Fried Onion-Cheese Burgers, a keg of beer, plentiful hard liquor, loud music, a sports game on TV, trashing the house and getting the police called:D.

While other people consider a dinner party a quite meal and then drinking a snifter of Brandy while smoking cigars and talking about affairs of state and the ideals of the era of enlightenment.

For most scenarios a fine brandy is a good choice to bring.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

In the words of the immortal Patrick Star from SpongeBob Squarepants

"When in doubt, pinky out!"

Good luck and have fun!

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just don't do anything Borat did in the dinner party scene and you should be fine :D