Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
If Apple does release a 4.7/5.5 inch iPhone (which I'm sure they will), either both this year or one of them this year and one next year - will it not cannibalize iPad Mini sales? Personally, I've never wanted an iPad Mini until recently but I think I've changed my mind to hold off for iPad Air 2 because I will be getting the iPhone 6 whichever size it is (4.7 or 5.5). So my train of thought was, why get a screen that's just a tad bigger? Anyone else think this?

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
No I don't think it will. I have an HTC One M8 along with my rMini and it's just fine. While the sizes may be closer, they are not competing segments. One is mobile and pocketable while the other isn't. Although on paper it's only 2" or so difference, the difference in screen space is much larger

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yeah, If they can make Iphone 6 battery last 10 hours of heavy usage then maybe it might jeopardize Ipad sales.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
I have a Nexus 5 which has a 5 inch display and a rMini. The rMini has significantly more screen than the Nexus. Plus no phone can come close to the battery life of the rMini.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have a Nexus 5 which has a 5 inch display and a rMini. The rMini has significantly more screen than the Nexus. Plus no phone can come close to the battery life of the rMini.

Same here. What people don't get is how much bigger an 8 inch screen is than a 5.5 inch screen.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Same here. What people don't get is how much bigger an 8 inch screen is than a 5.5 inch screen.

Yup. It's substantially bigger and just feels bigger. Plus, there are a good number of tablet-specific apps out now, so using a big iphone wouldn't cut it in some cases.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It might or might not - no one knows until it happens. The cannibalizing methodology has gone by the way side a few years ago. Markets change. It's better to cannibalize your own products and reap those rewards rather than hang on to a sinking ship while other companies swoop in.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It might or might not - no one knows until it happens. The cannibalizing methodology has gone by the way side a few years ago. Markets change. It's better to cannibalize your own products and reap those rewards rather than hang on to a sinking ship while other companies swoop in.

Agreed. Besides, mark up on iPhones are bigger than the iPad Mini's anyway.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
Have you guys even used 5.5+ phones? Yeah it's big but it's still not on the level of the mini. Especially if you only use the desktop versions of websites. 7.9> 4-5.5

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No I don't think that it will. I have an iPad mini and a galaxy note 3 (5.7). The difference in screen size is a lot more noticeable than it seems on paper. The note 3 is great as a large phone but is not a tablet substitute for me, even a small tablet replacement.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If Apple does release a 4.7/5.5 inch iPhone (which I'm sure they will), either both this year or one of them this year and one next year - will it not cannibalize iPad Mini sales? Personally, I've never wanted an iPad Mini until recently but I think I've changed my mind to hold off for iPad Air 2 because I will be getting the iPhone 6 whichever size it is (4.7 or 5.5). So my train of thought was, why get a screen that's just a tad bigger? Anyone else think this?

No. I have a Nexus 5 with a 4.95" screen and currently a Nexus 7 tablet with a 7" screen, I have ordered a ipad Mini. And trust me, a big screen phone is NOT the same experience as a tablet even at 7 or 8" in size.

The only phones that may do this are the phablets with I would consider to be the 6" devices. People will still buy tablets just the same.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not JUST a tad bigger. It's very easy to think that there is not a huge difference between screen sizes, but there is.

Take example going from a 15" screen to a 13", huge difference. On the 15" you can efficiently multitask at least two apps, on the 13" you can't. 1280x800 is miles away from 1440x900.

macres.png

If you were to blow up the iPhone, Note 3, and Kindle Fire 7" to be the same height as the iPad Mini, this is how it looks like:

phonetabletres.png

The experience on the bigger screen will be better, but we're not getting into the territory where it's easy enough for developers to backport iPad apps into that size. the guys who make handwriting apps will, but you're not getting the iPad version of Spotify or Evernote.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
will it not cannibalize iPad Mini sales?
I'd say it will have some impact on sales. Just look at the people here who have mentioned they have a note 3 and no longer need a small tablet.

Will it be enough to make a measurable impact on Apple's sales of minis? I have no idea, but there will be people who choose not to buy a mini if they buy the larger iPhone.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I'd say it will have some impact on sales. Just look at the people here who have mentioned they have a note 3 and no longer need a small tablet.

Will it be enough to make a measurable impact on Apple's sales of minis? I have no idea, but there will be people who choose not to buy a mini if they buy the larger iPhone.

I think this was what I was getting at. Personally I know I'm in for the next iPhone. I was thinking about the rMini but changed my decision to the Air because felt it's "just a bit" bigger so might as well get the air. Who know if that's what other people will think but regardless there's always a market for Mini.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think this was what I was getting at. Personally I know I'm in for the next iPhone. I was thinking about the rMini but changed my decision to the Air because felt it's "just a bit" bigger so might as well get the air. Who know if that's what other people will think but regardless there's always a market for Mini.
Apple could add something (like an active digitizer) to the rMini. That might be enough to differentiate it from a larger iPhone.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't think it will really hurt the iPad mini sales much at all. Don't think will improve them but won't hurt them either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.