iPad mini I was just thinking...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedeejay, Jun 4, 2014.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

If Apple does release a 4.7/5.5 inch iPhone (which I'm sure they will), either both this year or one of them this year and one next year - will it not cannibalize iPad Mini sales? Personally, I've never wanted an iPad Mini until recently but I think I've changed my mind to hold off for iPad Air 2 because I will be getting the iPhone 6 whichever size it is (4.7 or 5.5). So my train of thought was, why get a screen that's just a tad bigger? Anyone else think this?

2. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

No I don't think it will. I have an HTC One M8 along with my rMini and it's just fine. While the sizes may be closer, they are not competing segments. One is mobile and pocketable while the other isn't. Although on paper it's only 2" or so difference, the difference in screen space is much larger

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Nobody buys an iphone to use as a tablet so no i dont think so.

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, If they can make Iphone 6 battery last 10 hours of heavy usage then maybe it might jeopardize Ipad sales.

5. madgibbon macrumors member

I have a Nexus 5 which has a 5 inch display and a rMini. The rMini has significantly more screen than the Nexus. Plus no phone can come close to the battery life of the rMini.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Same here. What people don't get is how much bigger an 8 inch screen is than a 5.5 inch screen.

7. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yup. It's substantially bigger and just feels bigger. Plus, there are a good number of tablet-specific apps out now, so using a big iphone wouldn't cut it in some cases.

8. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

People that want tablets will still get tablets. My note 3 is big but it's not like using a full tablet.

9. joshdammit macrumors 6502

That's because it has a 4" screen, currently. 5.5" is a different story entirely.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Still doesn't compare to a tablet.

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I guess I'm just about to have to agree with everybody in the form answering your question +1 : agree

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you read the OP we aren't talking about the current iPhone.

13. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It might or might not - no one knows until it happens. The cannibalizing methodology has gone by the way side a few years ago. Markets change. It's better to cannibalize your own products and reap those rewards rather than hang on to a sinking ship while other companies swoop in.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. Besides, mark up on iPhones are bigger than the iPad Mini's anyway.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

5.5 is a big phone. They tried to invent the word "phablet" to classify these devices, because they really are neither. The iPad Mini is the smallest tablet I would find useful.

16. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

Have you guys even used 5.5+ phones? Yeah it's big but it's still not on the level of the mini. Especially if you only use the desktop versions of websites. 7.9> 4-5.5

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No I don't think that it will. I have an iPad mini and a galaxy note 3 (5.7). The difference in screen size is a lot more noticeable than it seems on paper. The note 3 is great as a large phone but is not a tablet substitute for me, even a small tablet replacement.

18. joshdammit macrumors 6502

And if you read what I quoted, you'd see I was responding to somebody who is referring to the current iPhone.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

No. I have a Nexus 5 with a 4.95" screen and currently a Nexus 7 tablet with a 7" screen, I have ordered a ipad Mini. And trust me, a big screen phone is NOT the same experience as a tablet even at 7 or 8" in size.

The only phones that may do this are the phablets with I would consider to be the 6" devices. People will still buy tablets just the same.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's not JUST a tad bigger. It's very easy to think that there is not a huge difference between screen sizes, but there is.

Take example going from a 15" screen to a 13", huge difference. On the 15" you can efficiently multitask at least two apps, on the 13" you can't. 1280x800 is miles away from 1440x900.

macres.png

If you were to blow up the iPhone, Note 3, and Kindle Fire 7" to be the same height as the iPad Mini, this is how it looks like:

phonetabletres.png

The experience on the bigger screen will be better, but we're not getting into the territory where it's easy enough for developers to backport iPad apps into that size. the guys who make handwriting apps will, but you're not getting the iPad version of Spotify or Evernote.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say it will have some impact on sales. Just look at the people here who have mentioned they have a note 3 and no longer need a small tablet.

Will it be enough to make a measurable impact on Apple's sales of minis? I have no idea, but there will be people who choose not to buy a mini if they buy the larger iPhone.

22. briannaharbor macrumors member

It will have an impact on sales, but like not really, kinda sorta, maybe?

23. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I think this was what I was getting at. Personally I know I'm in for the next iPhone. I was thinking about the rMini but changed my decision to the Air because felt it's "just a bit" bigger so might as well get the air. Who know if that's what other people will think but regardless there's always a market for Mini.

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Apple could add something (like an active digitizer) to the rMini. That might be enough to differentiate it from a larger iPhone.

25. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think it will really hurt the iPad mini sales much at all. Don't think will improve them but won't hurt them either.