I was shocked at how much lag at the base model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fathergll, Nov 1, 2014.

1. fathergll, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

fathergll macrumors 6502a

I finally got to spend a decent amount of time with the base model retina iMac today at the Apple Store and I while the display is great, I couldn't believe how much lag there was on the machine. Granted it's a store model and it had a decent amount of processes going on in the background, but I was still surprised at the lag. Even after closing some of the processes and making sure there was 2 GB free of RAM, the machine still was laggy.

I'm hearing kind of mix reviews about the base model but is the upgraded GPU and i7 going to pretty much solve these issues or is there more to it?

*Edit* I experienced something similar(not as bad) as this guy noticed with opening up Final Cut (Go to the 8:00 in the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UswBQyptamA

2. tom0511 macrumors member

Already wrote it on a different topic: I cannot believe that Apple is putting a new flagship model on the market which is unable too perform on acceptable level based on underspec'ed components.

But it is also strange, that basic UI tasks like Mission Control obviously remain untested before releasing a new OS.

Seems somehow odd to me...

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Seriously?

The riMac is not for you guys. Don't even consider it. It will not do for you. You are much better off with a Xeon machine; maybe a nMP or one of the older models.

And I didn't realize anyone actually used Mission Control. Is there a way to delete it?

4. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is an honest observation I had just a couple hours ago. I didn't even go into mission control. My Mac Mini seemed more responsive powering a 2550 x 1440 monitor then the iMac I was using. Maybe their was something hogging resources that I wasn't aware of?

5. tom0511 macrumors member

Obviously, you got me wrong. What I wanted to say is that it is very unlikely to me that there is a rImac on the market, which is not able to perform due to missing performance power.

I am pretty sure that all lag-issues will be fixed with the next OS update. I will wait until then and go for the base model.

6. Col Vandal macrumors member

I think there's something wrong with that particular Mac you looked at or Yosemite on it. I also spent some time with one and noticed no lag whatsoever except with Finder windows. I worked with Aperture a bit and there was no delay whatsoever.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I love mission control! One of the reasons I prefer OS X! :D

_____

Regarding the OP and topic though, usually increased resolution requires increased GPU performance, so if you got something higher yours may be less laggy than the base model you played with in the stores. If not, then its probably a software issue

8. Charlemagne macrumors newbie

To the OP, might be helpful if you told us what you were doing and where you witnessed the lag.

9. zas macrumors member

What the hell am I missing here??? I've had the base model for some time now and I haven't experienced lag. I mean I don't just open 27 thousand windows to see if it will lag or not... I'm confused.

10. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

There was a multiple times when I was dealing switching from Yosemite in full screen mode and switching to a picture in full screen mode. Also I saw major lag in opening a Final Cut Pro minimized session.

11. zas macrumors member

Never mind I understand now. 3 tabs full screen opened a pdf and noticed lag scrolling trough a PDF with pictures. Also, I noticed the mission control deal now. God dammit I will upgrade this sht now.

12. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

So is it just PDF and mission control you are seeing lag?

13. zas macrumors member

Yes. However, I've been reading I think it has to be yosemite.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There's a PDF/Preview issue in Yosemite. I crashed Preview on both a new and old iMac, both running Yosemite, when I went full screen and scrolled quickly. So not limited to the riMac. It might even be just a particular sort of PDF.

15. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Thanks for that. Having ordered a RiMac I was fine with my decision until I registered with this site. Now there are just so many negative comments I'm suffering from buyers remorse!

My confidence in what will be my first Apple computer has been shattered somewhat, and I haven't even got it in my sweaty hands yet :)

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I don't see how an upgraded CPU or GPU will solve it. The hardware in the current base models should be way more powerful than necessary for just running the OS without lag.

17. fathergll thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh that's not that bad. Most likely they will fix this soon.

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Don't worry at all about that. This site is a magnet for haters and moaners. There is no such thing as a new Apple product that isn't hugely slated on here. At least 99% of them don't have said product.

On the other hand, there are thousands of people about who have received and are happily using their new riMacs, but they're having so much fun they don't have time to post on here.

19. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Ditto!

20. samparmenter macrumors 6502

I have the base model and used it for about a week at stock before upgrading the hd to a ssd and the ram to 24gb. I use it for app development and didn't notice any lag that wasn't due to the mechanical HD with 10-15 programs open and perhaps 40 tabs in chrome at the same time.

There is something wrong with the OS/App if thats happening to people on certain apps that are not CPU/RAM intensive.