Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okayjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
SF bay area
The old MBP is
Apple - 15.4" MACBOOK PRO - INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4GHZ 2GB, 200GB, SUPERDRIVE
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 15" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 200GB SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8600 256MB, 8X SuperDrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR & iSight, OS X 10.5 Leopard

TOTAL: $1,750.78

The newer one is the bottom end model. But priced at
TOTAL: $2,154.00

I don't know if it's worth the extra 400? Do you guys think it's worth the investment.. is there any BIG difference that will matter in the long run, or whatever.. ?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Where are you looking? I just got a 2.5Ghz legacy MBP from MacMall for the price you listed and a $150 rebate (i.e. 1650+ tax).

Check that and MacConnection out.

yj83

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Old version, so few improvement on the new version.
Especially when I can sell a old version MBP 133LL/A to you at 1400$, it's shipped from apple and still in Fedex box, and I have the receipt and the only thing is you may need to buy the three-year apple care yourself, that will still be less than 1700$ for a brand new MBP with 3-year warranty.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
This may seem random and off topic but you mentioned mac mall and I was interested in buying a mac pro from them does anybody have any experience with getting macs off them, and defects, o and the only graphics card they have is the ATI, is the graphics upgradable to a nvidia, thanks sorry to be off topic.

popelife

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
For me, the biggest failing of the old MBP is build quality. It's not as tough as other Apple machines past and present, and minor incidents can result in a badly bent laptop.

(Don't I know. My two iBooks survived for years without a single problem, yet within six months of similar usage, my MBP has worn out keys, a bent area around the CD drive and palm rest, non-functioning trackpad button, case seams that don't meet quite right...)

For me, the improved industrial design would be worth the extra cash. Although I miss the the FW400 port - 800 just isn't as secure a connection. But, faster graphics, much faster bus speed, easily replaced HD, magnetic latch, all-round cooler machine. If I wasn't strapped for cash I'd upgrade.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The old MBP is
Apple - 15.4" MACBOOK PRO - INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4GHZ 2GB, 200GB, SUPERDRIVE
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 15" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 200GB SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8600 256MB, 8X SuperDrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR & iSight, OS X 10.5 Leopard

TOTAL: $1,750.78

The newer one is the bottom end model. But priced at
TOTAL: $2,154.00

I don't know if it's worth the extra 400? Do you guys think it's worth the investment.. is there any BIG difference that will matter in the long run, or whatever.. ?

Definitely get the Early 2008 model. The only reason to buy the new one is if you want the unibody design.

This may seem random and off topic but you mentioned mac mall and I was interested in buying a mac pro from them does anybody have any experience with getting macs off them, and defects, o and the only graphics card they have is the ATI, is the graphics upgradable to a nvidia, thanks sorry to be off topic.

Yeah you can buy a new GPU and upgrade it. Just make sure you get the Mac versions, not the regular PC versions.

And might want to update the sig ;)

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
It may not make much sense to make the upgrade to new version. If it is about saving money, there are always ways to get the new MBP cheaper. Getting from ebay is one of the ways, as mentioned in couple of threads already. Just your personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.