I was told Don't get a Mac for business

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BBQ BOY, Apr 2, 2010.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

I have a iMac at home and have PC's at work. I have 2 businesses, which causes me to travel now and need a laptop. My POS/Computer tech told me that Macs are lousy for business use. In example quick books and other things like back office use for my POS register system, which I already use my PC station for that. He also told me that my DVR security camera system will not be compatible for the MBP to view remotely. This is not 100% necessary.
    Input please if MBP will be lousy for business use.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Well it all depends on what you're going to be using it for... You mentioned DVR and POS, is there anything else you need to be able to do with it?

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I run my business using a MacBook Air; I have no problems at all.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Your computer tech is indeed a POS.

Either that or, he wants to maximize his billable hours.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

For proprietary systems like video cameras and POS systems, you're going to want to go with a PC. Sure you could install Windows on a Mac, but then what's the point of using a Mac?

Having set up and maintained systems for several different businesses, this is one of the few situations where I would say that it's just not worth getting a Mac.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You can run virtual machines or bootcamp. Personally I like having the capabilities of windows and unix without having to run Linux. I really think it's crap compared to the polished interface of osx. I am not a longtime apple only user, so I cannot really comment on iLife. That said generally office for mac and iWork are weak in comparison to office on windows.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yes, but I re-state: if you're running windows anyways, what's the point of having a Mac? I've tired to talk clients into switching over to mac, but it usually ends up as a cost thing, in which case the mac just doesn't make sense. The costs don't outweigh the benefits in a typical business environment.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I said why. Because I have the capabilities of windows and unix and a very high quality machine while not having to run Linux.

Maybe I did not make it clear though that windows cannot do everything I want or need. But office is better in windows.

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Ok, I see what's happening. You're explaining why Mac works good for you, I understand now :) I was basing my analysis on the OPs situation, in which case he would have far less reason to use mac, especially since all his software seems to be windows based.

10. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

Well Id o not plan on operating my POS system or DVR. I already have designated PC's for that. i mainly would be using it for business applications and quickbooks.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

This is true. And is also really one of the few reasons the op could justify the macbook if he would be mainly running windows software (the requirement of unix).

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

He's gonna bash macs because once you switch he'll be out of a job :D

13. bluskale macrumors regular

I actually don't mean this in a snarky way, but here is a good google search to look at re: quickbooks on mac, and the possible virtualization options.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Anything that doesn't work natively you can always go for a Wine/CrossOver implementation and for those that wont' even work on emulation, then Parallels/VMware will do wonders.

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I run Macs with my business and I have no problems. Although I do own a couple of PCs. I'm just too lazy to move the tax prep over to Mac. If you go over to Apple Professional site you will find a lot of businesses using Macs. Some have even incorporated iPhones Apps into their daily work process.

Honestly coming from a major corporation that used PCs, Macs workflow is a lot smoother, less idle time, and works more efficient across more Applications.

16. loteq macrumors newbie

loteq

Pc's are cheap, for anything you need strictly a PC for then buy a cheap laptop for 500 bucks and leave it on your desk at the office... You could install bootcamp or dual boot yaya, but its frankly a pain to switch and on normal macs slow.. (if you go with an ssd like I did, virtual machine run VERY well).

having said that i do keep a pc laptop on my desk for quickbooks pro and a small database app I cant give up yet... for everything else Ive used macs for 10 years (since Jaguar) and never looked back.. In the beginning there were some tradeoffs, but I guarantee you will be at least 30 percent more productive after 1 month with a mac, and that IS good for business...

17. phatlipboardz macrumors member

I can vouch for loteq's statement. My productivity has shot up 30%. I have a medical/nursing consulting business, so you could say it's a"non-creative" business.

Anyway, when I shifted over to Mac I downloaded virtualbox and ran quickbooks 2008. It worked in the interim, however I ended up just getting QB for Mac and haven't really been disappointed. I picked up MS Office 2008 media edition on special for $100 and some change. It hasn't failed me thus far and just about everyone I consult for has a PC, and there haven't been any formatting issues with documents.

I really love some of the third party apps that help me streamline things for little to no money. I've also been able to build a few websites and tweak a few pieces of media for my business, which I had a really tough time doing on the PC, or had to pay a significant amount of money for the software to do it myself. I use Logmein to jump onto PC's all of the time without issues (I do some PC troubleshooting from time to time).

At this point I probably fire up Virtualbox 1-2 times a quarter if that, but it works well IF I actually need it. At this point I wouldn't run my business on a PC unless I was forced in some way, but I don't know what that would be.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but my business doesn't really fit the stereotype (photo, video, music, etc.) and I've really enjoyed working on a Mac.

18. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you and thanks everyone else. That for very helpful. i believe I will go with the MBP.

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I love it when people say POS in its business meaning. It reminds of this computer that I saw at Home Depot one time that was called RealPOS. It made me LOL.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Mac's have come a long way. The "don't get a Mac for _________" argument has come and is long gone. Today, anything that you need to be done on a Mac, there's likely software to do it. The only thing that would be a problem would be support if you're working in a larger company and they're specific with what computers must be used.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Being in IT I actually have to agree with this. Techs would be pretty screwed if everything ran on macs. Most of the stuff we fix is windows related issues. Hardware fixes are generally a small part of things.

Aside from that I do game development as a hobby and everything I use runs on a mac :)

22. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

Mark me as another vote for using a mac in business. I used to be a consultant in an all windows world and my productivity, happiness, etc has gone up since being able to use my mac all day every day.

Any windows apps you need can easily be run in parallels. I still have to use parallels to run quickbooks for our business. Another good one to use is Remote desktop, if you have a windows machine you can remote into this can be even better then running it virtually.

If you would be happier using your mac, do it. Don't worry about what your tech says, he probably just has a PC bias (as even I once did)

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Macs are lousy for business... not.

That's probably why Nintendo CEO uses a Mac and iPhone. Apparently Nintendo is not a business.

About security use, google: danish police control center

24. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

what a question, of course you can use a mac for business purposes if the available software meets all your demands. However, if one of those demands is exchanging (office) documents with collegues and/or customers then a mac and mac software can be more problematic.

25. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am referring to Point of Sale.
    i have a POS "cash Register" system that in windows based. I need to be able to download the software so I can access it remotely. I also have a windows based 36 DVR survellience system at one business of mine and then a 16 camera system at another business I own. I don;t have to have a laptop for this but it sure would be efficient to have it. There is also the other business applications that are needed. Office and Quickboks.