I Was Told I Can't Get Iphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tsmith00, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Tsmith00 macrumors newbie

So, I just renewed my contract with at&t (cing) last dec and got free fones. But, when I called at&t today for iphone, I was told that current customers who are eligible for an upgrade can buy one and use iphone on acct. It doesn't matter if I am willing to pay $600 for it, but at&t says I'm not eligible for it. THIS IS SOOO DUMB!

The only option I have acc to them is to cancel the contract, pay $175 fee and then get an iphone on existing number OR get a new line all together.

This just bites!!

SO BASICALLY JUST CUZ U ARE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER, U CAN'T GET AN IPHONE. YOU HAVE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A FONE UPGRADE ON UR ACCT.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This has been covered a lot on this forum alone. Why don't people ever use this site as a knowledge base?

3. TaylorB macrumors regular

4. retnuh730 macrumors regular

Let him think that, more for us.

EDIT: Damn it, TalorB

5. Tsmith00 thread starter macrumors newbie

What am i missing?

I just joined the forum...can you tell me if the rep misrepresented to me that I can't get an iphone since I am not eligible for upgrade?

6. RyanF2009 macrumors member

We could... But then we'd have to kill you ;)

Just a tip... How about you check out Apple's website for more info... ;) http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

7. ted124b macrumors member

Q. I just upgraded my phone recently. Are there any penalties or restrictions for upgrading to iPhone right away?
    A. No. Everyone can upgrade to iPhone right away.

From: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp#3

Also from document leaked today Buying an iPhone does not change your upgrade eligibilty

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes, you can. You just have to start a new contract.

9. retnuh730 macrumors regular

By openening a new contract at another service, i.e. Verizon, cancelling it, then getting the iphone at AT&T. You might want to wait, as they'll all sell out before you can finish doing htat.

10. RyanF2009 macrumors member

11. retnuh730 macrumors regular

12. RyanF2009 macrumors member

Taken care of :D

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

No, you do not need to start a new contract.

To the OP: People should really not be wasting their time talking to phone salesmen at AT&T stores or worse yet, at their call centers, about these issues. It's amazing how many people at AT&T apparently cannot read or understand the guide that was given to them!

Just buy the phone, and let iTunes guide you through the activation. You'll be fine.

And if that doesn't work, this site is a great resource for getting real answers to these questions.

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

WHAT THE $%!*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If this is true then I'm screwed.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What i meant, and should have said, is that it will extend your current contract 2 years from when you activate the new iPhone...unless that's completely wrong too! :)

16. eddietr macrumors 6502a

That's exactly right, as has been confirmed by AT&T.

But this thread absolutely confirms that I will not be standing in line at an AT&T store tomorrow. Can you imagine the confusion about plans and eligibility for upgrades and so on? Some salesman telling a customer he can't buy one because he just got a free phone. Some other guy trying to do a preemptive credit check on a long standing customer.

Some other customer insisting that he wants out of his contract and into one of the new "iPlans" even though his net monthly cost would be exactly the same! Someone else fumbling through questions about how the iPhone compares to this phone and that.

I hope the Apple store has an express line for people with no questions at all, credit cards in hand ready to go.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Same here, eddietr. I'm going to an Apple Store...i'm hoping they've got their act together -- i'm guessing they will have a better idea of what to do than AT&T.