I washed my music library in the laundry...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Dec 22, 2013.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

...And no, I wasn't going for a "cleaner" sound.:p

Actually, it's my backup library; I run my collection of mp3s off a hard drive, but I also keep backup copies on a pair of USB drives in my pocket. They travel with me, you see, in case my apartment burns down etc.... I wasn't counting on my pocket being the danger zone! But then I accidentally washed and dried the USB drives in my laundry. They still work fine, thankfully, but I can't help wondering if I've shortened their useful lifespan, and whether I should go ahead and replace them or just assume they will keep storing my data reliably (provided they pay no more visits to the washing machine). Anyone have personal experience along these lines? Any thoughts on the matter appreciated.

2. thehustleman macrumors 65816

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would replace them and look for an online solution for backing up you music collection.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would replace them too. It works, but pretty sure block clusters have started to die.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Whatever you do, don't iron it to try to get the wrinkles out.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Now this is someone who loves his music. I don't think I know anyone who always has their backup library on them.

7. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure it's such a smart thing, unless you also want the access to it at all times.

A backup should be first and foremost in a secure and safe location. I don't think your pocket would ever qualify.

-t