i wasn't big on the design... but

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by isethx, Oct 16, 2008.

1. isethx macrumors regular

i went to the apple store and the new macbook/pro are SO beautiful. design wise they are sturdy and smooth, everything from the sleep light to the bottom, sides top, even the speaker grill. it's SO nice.

the track pad is really really nice. it only took about 5 seconds to get use to not having a separate button and it is VERY smooth and the new touch gestures work very nice. i have heard some people don't notice the difference in the trackpad but i assure you there is a nice difference. even the maganetic latch is much better than the one on the old macbook! takes less force and just feels right.

i'm just holding out for the 17'' to join the lineup now becasue after playing with the new one and old one side by side the old one looks outdated and poorly put together. the macbook pro keys look falling in and the case i think is ugly side by side.

so as a person who was not big on the design i'm telling you you'll learn to love it! i'd never buy the old design now. the only people who may not love this machine design wise are people who love a matte screen, however the LED is so bright even with the overhead lights in the apple store there was no issue using it

just my opinion after actually using/touching one :D

2. powderblue17 macrumors regular

This is usually what happens after everything Apple releases. People see a bunch of crappy pictures on their computer screens and talk about how ugly it is and how it looks like a HP or whatever. Then they go and see it in person and completely change their opinion once they see all the details that went into it. This is more true then ever with the new MacBooks. I would love to have the people who said it looks like a HP just because it has black around the screen put a MacBook next to an HP in person instead of just looking at pictures. Their would be no comparison between the two.

3. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. I went to my local Apple store on Wednesday just as they were putting the new ones on display (so had a chance to compare new to old!) and they look so much nicer in the flesh than they do in photographs. Shame the price doesn't look better ;)

I agree about the trackpad too - its no different to use, as you still click the same part, its just you can use that part for "tracking" now as well.

Who knows, might get a 17" MBP if they upgrade the 17" line to look like the rest of the laptops.

4. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Even good photos usually don't show the true beauty of apple's industrial design. I'll agree that these new ones are very pretty, but they don't match my old stuff :p

5. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I must agree, the new MBP is very impressive in person and I went in to the store with the idea "I'm not too thrilled with this but let me check it out".

That being said I am really ticked about losing the FW400 Port and this new "Display Port" that the Apple Store has no adapters for.

Those are the main reasons I'm even considering the slightly updated 17" MBP.

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i had a friend who didnt really care about the whole 'get a mac hype.' he happened to be in my dorm when i was unboxing my new mbp and this is what he said

"... you know.. im actually starting to feel a little jealous"

7. hellisforheroes macrumors newbie

hellisforheroes

Totally agree

Went into the Apple store and had a play with them. Was thinking about getting a 17' refurb for the same price, but that would make all this waiting very pointless! Plus, they are a very well engineered.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

how does the macbook air compare side by side to the new macbooks? Does it look old and out dated too?

9. isethx thread starter macrumors regular

you know i wouldn't say outdated because the body is well built like the new ones, i think it needs the new trackpad however!

it kind of looks odd now that everything has black bezel around it, but no it doesn't look old still very sleek