I went back to OS 9...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MysticCow, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I finally gave up on my trusty 733 MHz G4 Digital Audio under Leopard. Maybe it's because my 2.0 GHz G5 and my i5 mini just completely outclass it. In fact, it's most likely that reason. I feel like I'm watching a slug race with two cheetahs.

BUT...There is one thing my trusty G4 can do that no G5 or Intel can do and that is boot into Mac OS 9. So, I installed it and booted into it.

Honestly, I am enjoying the experience of being back in OS 9. Things feel snappy again. The only thing I have to do now is get the necessary apps for it so I can stay in OS 9 on said G4 (including After Dark, just because).

It also got me wondering if anyone else is making their final stand in OS 9. I believe for my G4, it may be that time.

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well, I'm going to be upgrading a few of my beige macs to 9.2.2 and obviously I can't go any further. I'm leaving 9.2.2 on the PowerBook G3, although I may experiment with some early OS Xes and PBs. And my 700MHz eMac may stay on 9.2.2, but I'm not sure how it would work with it being used as a jukebox, haven't gotten a chance to play around with my music playing capabilities on it yet...

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The best use for OS 9 is to run OS 9 apps, especially games. Go search for ancient stuff to play!

You may or may not find OS 9 really ugly, but luckily you can change the theme. Don't know where you can find themes to install though.

----------

Also, if the newer Macs beat your G4, then rather than use them for the same thing, use the G4 for something different. PowerMac G4s are great for file servers because they have a lot of space inside for hard drives, and they look nice, so you can put your G4 somewhere so you can both use it to store your stuff and enjoy looking at it.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'm having a great time rediscovering OS9 on my Powerbook. I couldn't 'live' there but it's great to do stuff without internet distractions (I chose not to lower my wifi security to match OS9).

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Try this thread