I went from a 15" MBP to a 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nugget, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Just one person's experience. . .

I had a TiBook, then a 15" MacBook Pro (early 2006 edition), and I was pretty desperate to upgrade with this last MBP update. The 15" was just about the perfect size for me -- still usable when stuck back in coach on a plane, but a relatively decent resolution. I was quite fond of my 15" laptops.

But when my hand was poised over the "buy" button to upgrade two weeks ago I succumbed to the temptation to bump up to a 17". Not without some degree of trepidation, though. I was really worried that the 17" would be too big and I'd regret going a step larger, but the allure of the 1920x1200 resolution was too difficult to ignore.

Now that I've had a week or so to get acclimated to the larger laptop, I'm glad I got the 17". It really doesn't feel that much larger than the 15" did. The first few days were uncomfortable, but I'm totally accustomed to it now.

I'm loving all the extra pixels and the only real downside I've faced is that I had to buy a new laptop bag.

2. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

What bag did you buy for your 17inch? I need to look for a new bag as well.

3. Bluegiz90 macrumors member

I just got the 17inch also, its my first Mac though so im unsure on how different it is compared to the 15. I am really considering taking it back tomorrow and opting for the high end 15inch. I bought this bag for it the other day though and it is an awesome bag.

http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/p/Crumpler_Gold_Dig_Laptop_Bag.htm

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Agree... I'll post mine if it arrived :D

Cheers

7. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I agree. I also had a 15" 2006 MacBook Pro before. Once you go 15", you'll never look back at 13" and once you'll go 17", you'll never look back at 15".

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Totally agree with you...
    By the side between 15 and 17 is not a big different, same as the wight

17-inch is the best choice for those who want 15-inch and HR Display :D
    If you want light, get 13-inch or Air

9. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

for some reason i thought i had a 17" so i got another one and it turns out i actually had a 15" (the all alum, '07? maybe) lol. but i love the 17", its a little bigger but i dont travel with it so its not a problem. the screen is just awesome, i watch a lot of stuff online so its definitely worth it to have the bigger screen! :D

10. Nugget thread starter macrumors 65816

Nugget

I got a Briggs & Riley Clamshell Messenger for when I travel and a simple Marware Sportfolio Sleeve for those days when I bring the laptop in to the office.

I really like the layout and design of the Briggs&Riley bag and it looks as classy as a canvas bag can look. I would also like to get an in-between bag that's just large enough for the laptop and a power supply, maybe something leather that looks more "executivey." But I haven't found anything along those lines yet that I really like.

11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The other advantage with the 17" MBP is the ExpressCard34 slot instead of the SD slot.

I was surprised how close the 15" and 17" are in price. A 15" i7 1680x1050 is the same price as the 17" i5 1920x1200. The extra screen resolution and EC/34 slot makes the 17" more appealing to me.

12. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

isn't better instead of getting hi-res 15 straight go to 17
    i have plan to get a 15 i7 hi-res
    but i also think to get a 17 i7
    so the diff between these two mac is just only 1.6 inches of screen and a extra usb port and a express card and for all these i just pay about 200$ extra
    i didn't have much time to work on 17 at apple store but i feel text are littel bit small which i think i can get used to it or use zoom function

i dont really know if 15 hi-res is good or not if its good then i can save that 200$ and buy external monitor
    i can find a good lcd 24 inches 200-250 range
    or get a led 24 for 350 onsale

if that 1.6 inches doesent make diif and 15 can handle hi res with good quallity then i can go with extenal display and use it for my 10inches netbook and 15 macbook

13. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I just upgraded from a 15" to a 17", I can hardly tell any difference at all when it comes to carrying and handling it, except for the gorgeous anti-glare screen :)

I use a Booq Vyper Exo XL bag and I'm really happy with it.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use Booq Boa Slimcase for mine. It is a pretty good case if you like traveling light.

15. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

just reading review for hi-re or std-res it is not helpful it is personal thing so you have to go to apple store and check them out
    so here is what i got from my visit i compared the 15 hi-res mate vs 15 glossy regular-res that's what it was available in store to me i like the 15 hi res it is better text size are little bit small but it is not noticeable you'll get use to it and even if cant get used to it just by pressing one time command + the size of the text will be the same
    so in my opinion i prefer to go to 15 hi-res

but when i compare the 15 hi-res ans 17 i kind of like the 17 the text size are kind of the same
    and you have more room to work on 17
    i really like 17 inches even thou the diff is just 1.6 inches

but the only thing I'm concern about 17 is weight of the screen it self
    i feel it is heavier and i heard from other people that their screen became loose so they could not put the screen in more 90 angel other than that it falls backwards