I went from a 2016 MBP to a 2014 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Larvas, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

I loved my 13" MBP, got it as soon as it came out, took the one without touch bar and spend most of my private time and meetings with it. Although I loved it within my private time and meetings, I HATED it when it came to actual work.

It was my first 13" laptop after several years of owning 17" and 15" laptops, and I just couldn't get used to the form factor due to:
    - I couldn't rest my hands/palms on it properly
    - Screen estate was just to small, multitasking was just not as pleasant as on a larger screen

And when it comes to the work environment, I just couldn't get used to:
    - The keyboard being useless
    - The dual core processor being also useless (this now changed with the 2018. model though)

So, I finally decided to go to a more minimalist style of life, and instead of owning a desktop and laptop computer, I sold everything and ended up with the 13" MBP. One week in and I just couldn't get used to it. The processor was just to slow for basic tasks (two browser windows with 10+ tabs + photoshop + itunes + YouTube), the keyboard was awful for writing, the form factor was painful on my hands.

So, at the same time my younger brother bought himself a new laptop, and he decided to give me back my 2014. 15 MBP since he didn't need it anymore, which I didn't use for almost 2 years, and after almost 30 minutes of using it, I felt a HUGE relief.

What I loved about it:
    - The keyboard is soooo comfortable
    - The 4 core CPU is so responsive
    - The screen estate, although it's just two inches more, was feeling HUGE
    - The size of the laptop is perfect, I finally comfortably sit in a chair with the laptop on my legs and I can work for 1 hour + like that (sitting in a bar or something)

So basically I sold my 2016. model, and went back to my 2014. laptop and I don't regret it at all.

But, there are things which I miss from new gen, which are:
    - I honestly miss the USB C simplicity. I didn't like it at first, but once I found the right hubs which work with me, it was as easy as "plug one cable and you have everything". Using the USB ports on the old one feels so old school, HDMI etc.
    - The trackpad from the new generation is just way better, something which you just can't describe how good it is. The current trackpad is old, with the regular click (no force touch), and it's not like I hate it, I just think that the 2016+ gen made it perfect.

What will be my next investment?
    - I think that I will ignore the new generation until 2020., once they present a new model.
    - Once this machine will not work properly, I will get a maxed out 2015. version with the force touch trackpad.
    - If I will need a more portable machine for meetings, I'll probably go for an ipad + keyboard combination, but as of now I don't mind the weight of the current machine.

Did anybody else make this step? Let me know your experience...

Note about the laptops:
    - the 13" 2016. mbp was a core i7 dual core + 16gb RAM + 512 gb
    - the 15" 2014. mbp is a core i7 4 core + 16gb RAM + 511 gb

2. princ2 macrumors member

princ2

My friend has "bought" almost-new MBP 2015 15" from his family and boy oh boy... sure the size and form factor feel MASSIVE compared to new, 2016-2018 machines, but the trackpad feels ingenious, has a familiar click, the display is awesome, the keyboard is perfect.

Back in February 2017 I've order MBP 15" which was a great machine, except I've sent it back due to it having one giant flaw - something was moving inside when moving the machine.

To sum up I'm familiar with both "new" and "old" macbooks, so totally know what you're feeling.

Personally, I own MBP 2012 13", I've been kind of going back and forth but finally ordered 13" Non-Touchbar 2017 version with "only" dual-core i5, "only" 8GB RAM - not wanting to spend too much money since a) I live in Poland where AAPL prices are a joke b) I have a PC for heavy-duty work.

Well, I will have 14 days to decide if MBP stays or leaves :)

Things I'm worried about are keyboard and performance mainly, however since it's 2017 model I have confirmed keyboard repair programme + no audio/bridgeOS issues which are observed in 2018 models.

3. frou macrumors 6502

frou

This article is relevant to your interests!

https://marco.org/2017/11/14/best-laptop-ever
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    In a way, the configurations of the 2015 that have integrated-only graphics are the best ones, since the old Radeon dGPU is not that much better than the Iris Pro, and brings with it increased heat and complexity (auto-switching).

4. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

Did you keep the 2017?

5. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

I went from a 2018 15" MacBook Pro down to a new 15" 2015 MacBook Pro. There is a lot I really like about the 2018 model, but I just do not enjoy typing on the keyboard. I think its beautiful physically and that it does a lot of things really well but at the end of the day the keyboard was that big of a deal to me.

I got lucky and found a brand new 2015 model with 3 years of AppleCare and I couldn't be happier with it.

6. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I have a 2014 and 2015 and a 2015 13 from work. I love the 2014 and 2015.