Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
This was a couple of weeks ago now when I was on holiday before the quarantine happened, and I only realized when my wife shouted if I had my phone. So it was underwater (not deep, about 2-3 feet) for under 5 minutes. My speakers were a bit shot, but the next day they were working fine and the phone has been working fine since.

Do you think it will be okay long term now or have I potentially damaged the phone? Just curious in case I need to pick up a new phone.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Potentially damaged the phone? Possibly.

Did you run the phone under clean water to remove the salt water?

It’s likely the ip rating has done its job and all is well but only time will tell.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Potentially damaged the phone? Possibly.

Did you run the phone under clean water to remove the salt water?

It’s likely the ip rating has done its job and all is well but only time will tell.

How much time?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Lucky....so far. How much time? No one knows for sure. If you had access to a 'trusted' repair shop, I'd have it opened and cleaned properly to remove all salt residue, assuming there is any.

Another problem is that if you're on the yearly upgrade program, how are you going to trade this one in? Maybe it's not 'damaged,' but the water sensors for sure have been triggered.

My wife put her iPhone 8 in the wash. It was wrapped in our bedding and spent less than 10 minutes in there. Screen is still messed up. If we had some SUN, I would let that take care of the water. I bought her an XS. Guess she's lucky after all...

Reactions: ericwn

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Lucky....so far. How much time? No one knows for sure. If you had access to a 'trusted' repair shop, I'd have it opened and cleaned properly to remove all salt residue, assuming there is any.

Another problem is that if you're on the yearly upgrade program, how are you going to trade this one in? Maybe it's not 'damaged,' but the water sensors for sure have been triggered.

My wife put her iPhone 8 in the wash. It was wrapped in our bedding and spent less than 10 minutes in there. Screen is still messed up. If we had some SUN, I would let that take care of the water. I bought her an XS. Guess she's lucky after all...

Hmm, I might just replace it and get a new one just in case.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
If it’s working as normal without issue then why replace it?

Because from the replies on this post it tells me that it may just be a matter of time and the last thing I want to happen is have this phone break when I desperately need it, due to taking it in the ocean for a few minutes weeks or months ago. It doesn’t sound like a chance worth taking when I can just replace it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
It should be fine, straight from Apples site:

1. iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.
Also this is anecdotal but I have a friend who uses his to get video while snorkeling with no case on it.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
It should be fine, straight from Apples site:

1. iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.
Also this is anecdotal but I have a friend who uses his to get video while snorkeling with no case on it.

Keywords here being "under controlled laboratory conditions".

In addition salt is a long term corrosive. Compare vehicles owned by folk that live in areas of the country that require road salt in winter to the warmer climates and you'll see the difference as the years go on.

Water, salt and oxygen corrodes at something like 4 or 5 times faster than freshwater does.

The chances are extremely high that an iPhone exposed to sea water will fail much earlier than one that was not.
[automerge]1585749977[/automerge]
Hmm, I might just replace it and get a new one just in case.

Makes sense to me and would be the same course of action I'd have to regretfully take as well.

Reactions: Lekro

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Keywords here being "under controlled laboratory conditions".

In addition salt is a long term corrosive. Compare vehicles owned by folk that live in areas of the country that require road salt in winter to the warmer climates and you'll see the difference as the years go on.

Water, salt and oxygen corrodes at something like 4 or 5 times faster than freshwater does.

The chances are extremely high that an iPhone exposed to sea water will fail much earlier than one that was not.
[automerge]1585749977[/automerge]

Makes sense to me and would be the same course of action I'd have to regretfully take as well.

Thanks, just ordered a brand new 11 pro Max just in case, I’ll trade this one.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
;)

Nah, it’ll be recycled. I can get £700 for it.
Is this a troll post? U wasted now a couple of hundred £ just in case it might not work in the future? Why not just use it until it dies? And maybe have a 30£ dumb phone if as a backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.