I Went Through 4 Defective MacBooks in 5 Weeks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Mar 2, 2013.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my 13" early mbp that I sold last week on ebay. So I decided to try out a few replacements for my mbp before I added it ebay about over a week ago. I went through 4 defective MacBooks. Below is a list of the macs that I went through.

I went through 2 refurbished macbooks and 2 new macbooks during late January to middle of February.
    1. Refurbished 13" MBA i7/8/256 - extremely loud fan noise that ran continuously, backlit keyboard too dim at brightest setting.
    2. Refurbished 13" rMBP i5/8/256 - ir within the first 10 minutes of use, laggy UI performance.
    3. 13" MBA i5/8/256 - yellow tinted screen, washed out colors.
    4. 13" rMBP i5 2.6/8/256 - ir after a week of use, the keyboard shocked me when I typed due do the rmbp improperly electrical work, and laggy UI.

Yesterday evening, I decided to buy the base 15" non-retina mbp at Best Buy because I really have no use for the retina display, I do not want deal with any ir issues, I want to be able to upgrade the laptop, and of course I still have use for the optical disc drive.

I really hope that the base 15" mbp works out for me.

I will interested again in the rmbp when Apple implements a white wash that scrolls across the screen like plasma tvs have to wipe off ir, and have a option of self-install upgrades.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I hope it works out for you too. I also have the 15" MBP and have had no problems with it whatsoever. It's been exceeding my expectations.

I wouldn't count on Apple making the rMBPs self-upgradeable anytime soon (or really, ever).

I have to admit, I see *way* more rMBP problems than I do for regular MBPs on this forum.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im sorry my friend.
    As you may have noticed already, rMBP isnt "problem free" yet.
    I hope the next refresh would fix all the problems.

4. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

I went through a few myself in the last few weeks...

However the last and final 13 inch rMBP that I picked up has been fine so far and hopefully thats how things stay! After using a Retina screen I just wouldn't be able to go back to a regular screen...

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

My feeling is some people are never satisfied and continue to find issues with the computer when in fact there just suffering from buyers remorse. Granted I'm sure some have issues but come on 4 in a row:eek: i think the issue may lie with the complainer :cool: my .02

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just bought a 13" rMBP yesterday, a 15" rMBP some six months ago.

I couldn't find any issues with either one. I know a couple people who have bought new 13" and 15" rMBP over the last few months; nobody has issues with IR, shocking themselves, cutting themselves on the edge, yellow screens.

I agree with Arnezie, that you are either just really unlucky or you're doing it wrong.

So basically, never again.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

As I said in a similar thread - statistically speaking, there is very little chance of getting for machines in a row. Say, for example, 1 in 50 machines is faulty out of the box (a very generous number, in reality it's in no way that high). The chance of you getting 4 machines in a row which are faulty would be 1/50^4. Which = 1/(50*50*50*50) = 0.000016%.

I personally think you're being really picky, and looking for problems. Guess what - if you look for problems, you will ALWAYS be able to find them - for example - "keyboard backlight brightness too low" isn't a fault. It's you wanting something more than that model is able to provide.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The laggy UI isn't a hardware issue. It's a software issue that is being fixed in 10.8.3. Try the nightly Webkit build and you'll see it's a lot faster.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Have you seen 10.8.3? Is it noticeably improved on the scaled options?

That's the only time I see UI jerkiness.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I call BS. Being OCD about expectations is something unique to the mac community and part of the reason why my macs cost so much.