I went to get a new motherboard today...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Apr 28, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I went to get a new motherboard today at a local computer shop.

I asked for a motherboard that supports AM2+ the two computer people behind the front desk looked at me and said ok.

The one lady says AM2 is the brand of the processor, and that it must have some number to it. :rolleyes:

I then asked for a motherboard with the Amd 890X Southbridge. And the lady then said the what?

I said the chipset, she then replied, " Oh yeah some motherboards have co processors that are called chipsets that you could replace.

(Are you kidding me!)

Anyways to end this rant they tried to sell me a Asus motherboard for $120 which I found online for $60, and another motherboard from Asus running the Amd 890X chipset for $190. Which I also found online for $100.

Crazy!

They don't have a clue what they are talking about, and they are extremely overpriced.

Step above scam artists.

Though they were nice enough to print off the spec sheets with the price for me.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's... great. Really nice story waloshin. Probably one to tell the grandkids.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I actually just told it to all my friends and posted it on FaceBook. It's quite the hit, right next to Little Red Riding Hood.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Moral of the story: Buy motherboards online and not in stores.

5. cube macrumors G5

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I only have ddr2 and a I dont want to buy a new motherboard and ddr3 , but I might.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Technically AM3 CPUs will work in AM2+ boards. Problem is that DDR2 is a dead end at this point. DDR3 is so cheap nowadays I see no reason in not buying it and enabling yourself to use newer CPUs and chipsets.

As far retail stores - vast majority of people working at those stores don't have a clue. Also, not to sound sexist but why would you ask women to begin with? Yes, I've seen women that know about this stuff but they are rare and far between. Of course not to say that I can't imagine hearing such nonsense from a male employee.