I went to the Verizon store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ldkaplan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

So I went to the Verizon store yesterday to look at alternatives to my IP4. I'm not bitter at Apple, just a bit disappointed due to the antenna issue.

I looked at the Droid and Incredible. Compared to my IP4, these phones look like crap, feel like a toy and completely lacked in UI polish.

I can live with the antenna issue. I'm not getting a bumper because I think they look silly. I'll likely get a skin for the sides though, hopefully that will prevent my dropped calls.

Basically, it's not worth complaining when there is no close alternative.

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Even I'm starting to want to respond with "cool story, bro."

3. dulaney22 macrumors regular

Please don't.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yep, pretty much.

Plus, it's flavor of the week in the Android world. What you buy today will be replaced with something better on the same network in a month for the same price. Then you have all the different versions of Android, with updates rolling out whenever the carriers get around to it, some with HTC UI hacks, some with others, it's a mess.

5. ldkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

ldkaplan

How about "don't taze me bro."

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I really like the iPhone, the HTC phones with Sense UI are amazing. I'd love to get the Incredible or the EVO. However, there are several things stopping me from doing so.

1. Rest of my family is on at&t. Unfortunately, at&t doesn't have a 3.5-3.7" screen sized HTC android phone. The Aria is very nice, but I find the 3.2 inch screen too small for me.

2. The ease of syncing with Mac OS X.

3. Don't have to wait for OS updates. It takes HTC awhile to make updates to their phones after Google has released them.

4. App store is much better with Apple than Android.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. My work phone is an Android, not a fan. Do not like the UI nearly as much and the hardware, don't even get me started on the hardware.

Those other phones are nice, they just aren't Iphones.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Android is gonna be the Windows of cell phones. It will always lack polish, and the hardware will generally be more gaudy and cheaper feeling then stuff Apple makes. I'm happy to say I stuck with Apple and their iDevices since the original iPod touch.

9. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

If Android is the Windows of cell phones then what does that make the Windows Mobile of cell phones?

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

...obsolete?

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Linux?

And what scaredpoet said :D

13. eyyyephone4 macrumors newbie

14. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Have you even tried the bumper? I think it's fantastic, fits perfect and the grip it gives is great I'm not the least bit scared when I drop it... Plus I have a maximum coverage invisible shield underneath

15. thornguy macrumors regular

IT is my profession and hobby but I don't live and breath phones. I'm a fan of Linux and open source.
    But I think Android has become so watered-down that I would have no idea which phone to get.
    And I from what little I have read, I have a feeling that even after research it would still be a crap shoot. A newer better module would be out 3-6 months after my purchase.

Also say what you will about the monitored/big brother Apple App store, at least there is some vetting and quality control.

16. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. A few friends of mine have Android phones, and something in it is lacking.

Right now, Apple is ahead of any cellphone.

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

lol i like android but im just so used to IOS that i would never get any other phone.

18. michaelfields macrumors regular

nice

19. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

"Don't Android me, bro."

I took the EVO back to the Sprint Store today after almost 30 days of use. It was an interesting "place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." I'm "residing" with the iPhone 4.

However, a little humility would be in order. I admit the EVO has some fascinating features including live TV feed of World Cup Soccer and Wimbledon, 4G download speeds, ability to function as a WiFi hotspot to 8 devices, useful utilities like "Real Signal" which tells you the discrete signal strength of voice and data separately, and useless but fun utilities ilke animated wallpaper.

20. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

BTW, Verizon will start selling the Motorola Droid X on July 15th. It's basically an EVO 3G with a hunchback. But I believe what Verizon customers really want is an iPhone 4 -- which may happen in January.

What would really be interesting is if Verizon's 4G network is operational by then and they release an iPhone 4G. There would be a stampede from AT&T to Verizon!

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

I supported Android since the G1. I would get a little, green "Andy" the Android logo keychain if I ever saw one. I like Google and the free services they offer. You might have privacy issues with them, but they seem like the good guys. The one company many people would love to work for.

But the Android UI looks like it came from 3-5 years ago. Think Symbian, but with skins on top of it to hide the ugly interior and to differentiate between manufacturers. Sony Ericsson has Timescape, HTC has the Sense, and Motorola has the BLUR.

I am open for competition, but I'm just NOT confident with Android as of right now. And with new Android phones every few months, I am not confident with updates. Manufacturers STOP caring. Produce more hardware and less software. Their technology is moving too fast for me. Before I open up a box of my new Android phone, a better one will appear in a month.

I am looking forward more to Meego. I just hope Nokia can finally get their act together. They haven't produced a decent and popular phone since the N95 era. I love my iPhone 4. My second iPhone I ever owned and perhaps my LAST iPhone for awhile before I move into another OS if they don't make too many drastic changes. I am always looking into the future for something new. I can be fickle that way. I am no Apple fanboy or fanboy for any company. I am a fanboy of great products. iPhone 4 is one to me. And as of now, I don't see the iPhone getting caught by the competition when it comes to everything that is important to me.

Only the Nokia N9 has got me intrigued while I look forward to enjoying my iPhone 4 until 2012. Trust me, when the iPhone finally gets offered in other major US carriers, it will be monumental for them and their history. Lines around the block. Android is just temporary fix, but an inferior one. A stop gap for some reassurance.

While I think Verizon is the superior network over AT&T with their superior call quality and reception, I'll always stick to GSM phones. Been on Cingular/AT&T since 2001. Was on the Verizon in 1999-2000 and Sprint from 2004-2006. I do prefer CDMA technology in offices. But since I travel, GSM is the only way to go for me.

22. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

23. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Did you really have to start a whole new topic about this? Pretty sure most of the folks on this forum realize their beloved iPhone are superior to anything else out there build wise...