I will be apple customer for life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kentsydney, Oct 2, 2016.

1. kentsydney macrumors regular

Just want to share my experience of taking my 2 year old 6 plus which had become unusable because of touch disease into s Sydney Apple Store .

It had become useless and had started phoning people and playing random music.

Yesterday I took it into my local Apple Store and from what I'd read waS fearing a $500 bill.

But they tested it and without any prompting or protestation on my part they said we will exchange for a new phone st apples cost. It's just on the two year mark since I received it.

I looked up the serial number and it was made last month so its not reconditioned.

So I'm extremely happy with my new 6 plus and will get the 8 next year then the 9, the 10.

Apple with service like this I will buy your stuff for life.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

And these are the stories is why I only use Apple. Because behind every piece of hardware, you need the manufacturer to back their product and keep the customer loyal. I only buy Apple, for two reasons, their hardware has high quality standards and their customer service is a core standard.

3. Conan86 macrumors 6502

That's great to hear and kudos to Apple for the exchange.

However you might have mistaken your phone to be a new one. When iPhones go back to the factory for the refurbish process, it will be issued a new serial number with the "date of manufacture" reflecting the date it went through that process. You can verify if it is refurbished by its model number under Settings > About. I'm not sure which model reflects refurbished though.

I wouldn't mind having a refurbished anyway since it's as good as new and better yet, provided free out of warranty

4. kentsydney thread starter macrumors regular

Yes maybe it's refurbished but it looks absolutely perfect and I love it.

I'm a long term apple customer ( since 98) and over the years have had a replacement iPad ( which I dropped and broke the glass and admitted it was my fault but they still gave me a new one free of charge) and a replacement 5s which had a camera issue.

I'm always honest in the Apple Store and am never aggressive or demanding and I always get the best service

5. the caveman macrumors 6502

Congratulations. The apple store convenience and good customer service is built into the price and also is a big part of why i stay with apple

6. radioking, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

radioking macrumors regular

Thank your government for having strong consumer protection laws, not Apple. Apple products sold in Australia have a 2 year warranty.

7. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

customer service is so underrated in the mobile world and you can't beat apple in this area

9. the caveman macrumors 6502

Didn't know that, i wish we had the same 2 year warranty in the US

10. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

That's why AppleCare (or any extended warranty) is not as useful here in Australia.

Australian Consumer Law is good, but it's really what everyone should expect and says the warranty of an item should be commensurate with the expected life expectancy of the item. I had a 5 year old LCD TV from Samsung replaced under warranty no questions asked, even though the stated manufacturer warranty was 24 months.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple definitely has some great customer care and that's one reason why I keep buying from them.

12. MrBukey macrumors regular

It's why I buy Apple too. I've had painless experiences with them replacing an iPad, an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 6S when things went wrong.

Add to that a generally high build quality, products that retain their value when it comes to selling a year or two down the line, a long upgradeability support life and a closed ecosystem that helps that supportability as well as security, and it makes me a happy customer. :)

13. kentsydney thread starter macrumors regular

Yes we're lucky here in Australia but it's the same for other manufacturers and I've not had the same experience with other companies who's products stop working.

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

thank your goverment.

why praising apple about doing what their were forced to do by law and about the issue they still dont seems to address/acknowledge. so customers are getting their phones replaced or not - depending on the country or ac. it shouldnt be like that when the issue was there from the beginning.

in this scenario there shouldnt be any ac or goverment laws to protect the customer. if the device has manufacturer/design error from the beginning, no one should even consider that their phone isnt replaced automatically.

what if you lived in a county with only one year warranty and no country laws protecting, would you still believe to get a phone replaced easily by apple?

15. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

By default? Or require ac+?

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

Apple still producing the iPhone 6+ last month knowing it would no longer be offered for sale after September 7th ... I find this comment highly suspect.

17. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Mine is a mixed bag.
    Software wise it is no longer that high standard. Bugs issues two widespread iOS device bricks due to system update.
    Hardware wise more issues are popping out as time goes on. iPhone 7 plus user cannot even take portrait photo out of box and need to wait for iOS update. Yellow colour screen for iPhone SE. Quite a lot.
    But also, you pay less time on troubleshooting software issue than android. You are sure when iOS is updated and your device is supported, most of your apps will work as expected as it was before. Apple hardware is not that stunning but still beautiful. Just look at that super slim single port laptop.

18. kentsydney thread starter macrumors regular

I went to an online check and it said manufactured last month in Singapore- if anyone has a recommended serial
    Number checker I will check and report what it says

19. pmau macrumors 65816

Don't get me wrong, but these are the stories Apple wants to see in forums and social media so they can send 20 other people home with nothing.
    What bugs me is this double standard that treats people differently having the exact same issue.
    You can look up stories were people exchanged 5 phones for basically cosmetic nonsense, while other people have heard nothing but "you mishandled your device".
    I have spent thousands of Euros since 2006, but my opinion towards Apple has changed dramatically.
    They can not afford to be lenient because they sold so many devices.
    People trying to get iPhone 5s exchanged after years to get a new display and battery to get a better price on ebay.
    I know that Apple is certainly not the only one to blame, but praising Apple for their customer service because of a single personal good experience is a little naive.
    Sorry if I sound bitter, but it's not all good here. People should not generally conclude Apple hands out new hardware for free.

20. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Precisely the reason I always get Apple products. Great post OP. I've read similar stories of excellent Apple customer service.

21. kentsydney thread starter macrumors regular

Just reporting MY experience and realise it's not the same for everyone.But for me apple are by far the best company I've dealt with followed by Aldi the low cost German supermarket

Yes I did make three facebook posts with pro apple stories- I didn't say I had a new/refurbished phone but one was a Jonny I've interview, Steve Jobs Stanford address and one on Apple Music- it's karma

22. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Factory refurbished get a new serial number when processed. This could also be the case (Apple needs to maintain their maintenance stock). Next to impossible for a customer to tell if it's refurbished or not (new shell, new glass).

23. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

24. kentsydney thread starter macrumors regular

Your probably right

25. MrBukey macrumors regular

Apple and other manufacturers may be forced to cover defects and issues by law (and rightly so). My treatment from Apple is that I tell them what's going on, and they generally replace the item without issue. I've never mistreated my kit, and anything that has gone wrong has been rectified. The most difficult part has been sometimes having to wait to see someone when the Genius Bar has been busy and running over time. Not really a huge issue - the overall experience has always been great.

Compare that to the service many other companies offer - especially here in the UK - and even where they are liable, they refuse to take responsibility. Although the manufacturer offers a warranty, in the UK it is the company that sells you something that is really responsible. But those companies sometimes try and force you to use the manufacturer's warranty (even though legally they can't do this) - and the manufacturers sometimes are just extremely slow or unhelpful, as they know the seller is responsible under UK law. Unfortunately retailers rarely train their staff in basic consumer law, and tell them to refer customers to manufacturers, and you get stuck in a loop.

I've spent many hours trying to get faulty kit (TVs, graphics cards, guitars, washing machines) replaced or repaired, been given the run around by retailers (and occasionally manufacturers or extended warranty providers too), told to live with faulty kit (including those down to design faults), failed to be given calls back, and had to produce proof of the law and fight so many times when I shouldn't of had to. A lot of people I know would have given up in some cases I've been through, and I'm guessing that there are those that do.

Yes, you're right - a manufacturer (or retailer in the UK) should resolve things - as a matter of moral duty, and due to legislation covering faulty goods - and no-one should consider that a faulty phone (or other item) isn't replaced automatically.

The reality is very different - and compared to a lot of other companies I've dealt with, when something's gone wrong Apple have been a joy to deal with.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2016 ---
    I don't know if it's still the case, but Apple used to give refurbished phones a really good burn-in test too, which meant that they didn't leave the factory without being in perfect condition. The couple of refurbs I've had have been flawless, and I'd consider them as good as (or better, as the risk of getting a lemon is all but removed) than a sealed new device.