Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Last week I received my 13" MBA i5/8GB/256GB SSD/Samsung Screen, and I will be returning it tomorrow, because I feel its no upgrade from my Early 2011 13" Base MBP that I upgraded to 8GB of Memory three months and today to the Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I actually prefer the screen on my MBP over the MBA because it has better colors, better contrast and better brightness.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Last week I received my 13" MBA i5/8GB/256GB SSD/Samsung Screen, and I will be returning it tomorrow, because I feel its no upgrade from my Early 2011 13" Base MBP that I upgraded to 8GB of Memory three months and today to the Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I actually prefer the screen on my MBP over the MBA because it has better colors, better contrast and better brightness.
If you're looking for more accurate colors, MBA isn't the way to go. My Spyder told me that my screen has 65% of RGB. My four year old LG monitor has 98%. The MBP is supposed to be much more accurate. So yea, if you're looking for color accuracy, I guess you'll see it more on the MBP.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
You bought an MBA because of it's display quality? Hmmm, I bought mine because its light and extremely portable. I think I would have chosen a 15" MBP myself if I wanted display quality.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
+1 to JHuFrank

Screen color accuracy is the least of concerns on my MBAs, size, speed, and weight are why I have two of them. I am a photographer who uses his 15" MBP with a 27" Apple monitor for true color rendition.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I actually prefer the screen on my MBP over the MBA because it has better colors, better contrast and better brightness.
That seems to be a common opinion around here and limited research from someone who owns neither at this point tells me the MBAir known for color accuracy.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I question the color accuracy thing at times in any display given some of the inherent limitations in technology in general. Overall the Air addresses a gamut which is more narrow than what would be expected. sRGB was based on something like the reproducible gamut of the average display in 1994. Wiki explains it quite well. Anyway the MBA is somewhat restricted on gamut and its viewing angles aren't so great. This makes it difficult to assess images on screen in a consistent manner. I'd say that it would become frustrating for anyone that has to deal with color reproduction on a consistent basis.

jeremyx

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
You bought an MBA because of it's display quality? Hmmm, I bought mine because its light and extremely portable. I think I would have chosen a 15" MBP myself if I wanted display quality.
To be fair, MBP screen is actually quite bad.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I think the Air screen is good, especially once calibrated. Its just a different experience from the Pro - less color gamut, more sharpness.

kolz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
the main point of getting an MBA is for portability, not screen quality. Seriously, who wants an 11" IPS-type monitor anyway? I'll hook it up to my tv thank you very much.

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA

Boy, this person should run for public office...

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15345602#post15345602

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
If you're happy with reflections, glare and low resolution pixelated fonts and an extra 1.5 pounds in your bag or on your lap, that's cool.

For me, color accuracy was less important than the features the Air offers.

To each their own, that's why there's choices, (although sometimes the choices seem limited).

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Just googled it. That is a nice phone! Do they sell the normal S2 in the US, too? I've got the S2, never knew about the Skyrocket and haven't seen it in the UK.

There are a few different versions in the U.S. You can use the international version on AT&T and a few others, and sprint, and AT&T have phones very comparable to that, but slightly different casing on them. The T-Mobile version has a different processor, because the standard exynos doesn't support HSPA+ (42mb/s modem). The skyrocket and T-mobile version instead uses a qualcomm clocked at 1.5ghz, however benchmarks show they're about as fast as the slower clocked exynos chips. This cpu lets them utilize the fastest network speeds the providers have and you can get real world speeds of 25mb/s or so.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia

As long as you're happy.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Just googled it. That is a nice phone! Do they sell the normal S2 in the US, too? I've got the S2, never knew about the Skyrocket and haven't seen it in the UK.

They sell the S2 in the US, but there are different variations among the carriers. The T-Mobile S2 and Skyrocket are basically the same phone.

EDIT: I see your question has already been answered.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
the main point of getting an MBA is for portability, not screen quality. Seriously, who wants an 11" IPS-type monitor anyway? I'll hook it up to my tv thank you very much.

Screen color accuracy is the least of concerns on my MBAs, size, speed, and weight are why I have two of them. I am a photographer who uses his 15" MBP with a 27" Apple monitor for true color rendition.

(This isn't an attack on the people I quoted, but it's more about Apple-Defensiveness in general)

Why is there this acceptance that because the Air is incredibly portable that it's NOT supposed to have accurate color? It's ridiculous. We're CONSUMERS! We're supposed to be nitpicky instead of going around defending flaws as if they're features. If we're all supposed to believe that an ultralight computer CAN'T have color accuracy then why the heck should we be talking so much about a Retina Display Air?

Just like people say "The best camera is the one you have on you", then "The best display is the one you have on you". So if that $1500 ultralight thin as Air computer that you take on a photo shoot requires a separate monitor just to get ballpark color accuracy then something is wrong.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

Hey, he made it four days before doing a complete 180 and flip flopping on his opinion. I guess the "awesome Samsung display" on his Air just wasn't awesome enough, even though he "couldn't stand the screen on my MBP anymore".

I have a strong suspicion that he simply has buyer's remorse and is trying to rationalize it. Posting it in public will help reinforce his rationalization.

He also managed to score a free Mountain Lion upgrade out of this situation.

Last edited:

kolz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
(This isn't an attack on the people I quoted, but it's more about Apple-Defensiveness in general)

Why is there this acceptance that because the Air is incredibly portable that it's NOT supposed to have accurate color? It's ridiculous. We're CONSUMERS! We're supposed to be nitpicky instead of going around defending flaws as if they're features. If we're all supposed to believe that an ultralight computer CAN'T have color accuracy then why the heck should we be talking so much about a Retina Display Air?

Just like people say "The best camera is the one you have on you", then "The best display is the one you have on you". So if that $1500 ultralight thin as Air computer that you take on a photo shoot requires a separate monitor just to get ballpark color accuracy then something is wrong.

Imo, I don't know because I'm in Apple's ecosystem too long or what, but there will never be one system fits all, ever. Even when let's say the AIR will eventually have an IPS grade quality display, there will be even something better on the market already. The point is, that I want an item that can do the BEST in things I need.

Once you put a better display on AIR, price will go up, battery will stay less (due to power requirement to light up the display), who knows what other things you need to add to deliver the best experience of just the display to the user. Follow this up: add more battery power in 11"? how? the battery is glued. How about the price? if it went even further why bother buying the AIR?

It is all come back to why the AIR is there at the first place. AIR is designed to be a portable, day-to-day laptop machine (and now, simple gaming can also do). As long as the screen lit, and i can read, on daylight, outside, I'm good. Capiche?

And yes, with $1500 ultraportable laptop like AIR you won't get a screen with ballpark accuracy colour. Where does the money goes? perhaps that 1.35kg only weight.

Last edited:

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
The reasons why I like my MBA are:
1. Better screen resolution and awesome Samsung display. I just couldn't stand the screen on my MBP anymore due to the low resolution.
I actually prefer the screen on my MBP over the MBA because it has better colors, better contrast and better brightness.

he'll probably get an iMAC next due to its portability and awesome battery life.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
he'll probably get an iMAC next due to its portability and awesome battery life.

If you're having difficulty with your iMac's battery life, try only charging it when you run completely out of battery power, and then let it charge completely before using it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.