I will buy a new Mac, Which one do I need?

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Hi everyone. I need a recomendation for a new Mac. My requeriments are simple, I want a computer for web surfing, fast multi-tasking, 1080p movies, I like to take good quality photos and record 1080p videos. I don't play too much video games on computer because I have an PS3. Maybe, I will play COD sometimes because is impossible for me to play that game on PS3 and perhaps any other shooter games that is available for Apple OS. I also like to mix and improve the quality of my MP3 files using Traktor. The most important thing for me is the fast-multi-tasking, I don't wanna feel any lag or freeze.

Here are my options:

1. Mac Mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 + Dell 27'' Display 2560-by-1440 resolution

2. Imac 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz with 512MB GPU

3. Imac 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz with 1GB GPU

Is necessary the Fusion Drive or the HDD 7200rpm is enough for my requirements?

I will apreciate any advice. Thanks :apple:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
that high resolution display will slaughter your framerate unless you lower the res in game. I have an AMD i5 mini running batman arkham city just fine. The general rule is if you have a display already, get the mini. Otherwise, get the iMac.

Also, SSDs are worth it.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
that high resolution display will slaughter your framerate unless you lower the res in game. I have an AMD i5 mini running batman arkham city just fine. The general rule is if you have a display already, get the mini. Otherwise, get the iMac.

Also, SSDs are worth it.

The 512mb or the 1GB iMac?

The 7200rpm HDD is fast?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
It's faster, but not fast. Any hard drive will work fine, but in terms of speed, SSD>hybrid technologies>high RPM hard drives>low RPM drives.

High GPU ram lets you see more detailed textures and increase draw distance.

GPUs are my weak point though. Wait for a mac gamer to stumble in and offer an opinion.

Last edited:

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
It's faster, but not fast. Any hard drive will work fine, but in terms of speed, SSD>hybrid technologies>high RPM hard drives>low RPM drives.

High GPU ram lets you see more detailed textures and increase draw distance.

GPUs are my weak point though. Wait for a mac gamer to stumble in and offer an opinion.

Thanks. I don't have a monitor for the Mac Mini, so the iMac is correct for me. But I wanna know if the 512MB GPU is enought for my requirements, because the only game that I will play in PC IF! I have enough time, because I have a PS3, will be COD or any other shooter game.

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
Thanks. I don't have a monitor for the Mac Mini, so the iMac is correct for me. But I wanna know if the 512MB GPU is enought for my requirements, because the only game that I will play in PC IF! I have enough time, because I have a PS3, will be COD or any other shooter game.
Which 2.9 iMac can you configure with a 1GB vram gpu? Thought you'd be immediately with the 3.2 27" if you wanted that?

There's a significant difference between the 2.9 27" gpu card and the 3.2 27", so if you don't mind the extra $200, Def. go with the 3.2.