I will need to buy a mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HazzFq, Oct 2, 2007.

1. HazzFq macrumors member

I don't like the touch pads on laptops so i will be wanting to get a mouse, Can you get any mouse for them now or do they have to be the apple mighty mouse ones?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

When searching on the Apple Store (and I suggest you do this next time), these were the results that showed up in addition to Apple's Mighty Mice (wired/wireless):

Attached Files:

3. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

4. vultureparade macrumors member

I'd pick up any of the Logitech mice. I've been using them for years. I'm pretty sure most of them are OSX compatible. The one I'm using now worked as soon as I plugged it in.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I wasn't aware you were looking for single button mice, its going to be tough finding them...

I also suggest Logitech. I currently have the VX but the VX nano came out recently (I think Circuit City has it for $40 after $10 MIR).

6. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

no i would prefer a two button mouse if it will work and is cheapish! because im used to windows...

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Wow, that's a pretty good deal for the Nano considering Logitech was selling them for $70 (still a great deal if only for the Nano receiver).

8. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

(practically) any USB mouse will work. I got a Logitech wireless mouse for $10 that works perfectly.

9. bananas macrumors 6502

bananas

I'd get a Razer Pro 1.6

I like how it looks and it's good too.

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

With a two button mouse, you also get the option to right click, which I find very convenient.

Most (if not all) USB mouses would work with MacOS- even if specifically doesnt say that on the packaging.

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I am using a Microsoft intelimouse Bluetooth...it connects to the mac with no problem and works fine....

I gave up trying to use it with my IBM Thinkpad......horrid windows XP Bluetooth

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

I used Windows since 3.1 and always used a 2 button mouse. After going 100% Mac last month; I bought the Mighty Mouse and at first it was a little different, but after getting used to it, I would not trade it for anything. I love it... so don't let it's unique design scare you. It's a great mouse!!

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I use a Logitech one too. They're a great deal.:)

Almost all two-button mice work with OS X, and in case you didn't notice, the Mighty Mouse is not technically a one-button mouse;)

14. writeous macrumors regular

I have the Kensington Bluetooth mouse listed on the page and its great, especially if your going to be using windows as well on your macbook. Im running XP, but they say side scrolling wont work on Vista so keep that in mind.

15. Hydramus macrumors member

I'm using the MX revolution from Logitech now with Steermouse drivers and it works great. I was really close to getting the wireless mighty mouse at one point but then i realised you can't left click and right click at the same time or left click while holding down right click. So, for the moment, i'm sticking with 2 button mice, maybe in the future i will reconsider:p.

16. TheStu macrumors 65816

Cuz you know, you can't do that with just the trackpad or anything. Yep, only if you plug in a mouse with 2 buttons do you unlock those super secret contextual menus that were previously hidden.

17. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

Logitech.
    I bought a mx310 a few years ago for pretty cheap, and it was a great mouse. now i have an mx revolution that is very nice. my friend took my mx310 to use, and he is very happy with it. i've never had bad experiences with logitech, except my Z5300 speaker system i got from them when i got my mx310 mouse. after a couple years the sub as well as the left and middle channel went out. i wasn't home when it happened though, so it could have been my roommates abusing it, i really don't know.:apple:

18. richardson.hila macrumors member

Look at how good the warranty is with Logitech too, you only get one year with Apple on the MightyMouse, but with Logitech even their basic mouse has a 3 year warranty.

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Just as a note, the mighty mouse does have 2 buttons, it seems like the OP was under the impression that it had 1.

20. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

If you're going to have a laptop think about what you want as far as portability. I have one of those smaller two buttons w/ a scroll wheel. It's wireless with a little USB adapter, the adapter clicks into the bottom of the mouse when it's not in use.

I got it for about $20, it's a microsoft one.

allison.

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

If he wanted to use the trackpad, he wouldn't be talking about buying a mouse. :\

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

FYI logitech bluetooth mice are incompatible with Macs. Theyll function, but only as a generic apple mouse (right click and scrolling will still work). Youll only be able to assign expose/dashboard functions to the extra buttons through the expose shortcut settings. The logtech drivers that allow you to fully customize the mouse wont work with them.

23. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Okay, so i get the sarcasm, but really, OP, if you want to "right" click with an Apple trackpad, you can set it to pull up contextual menus when you put two fingers on the trackpad and click.

24. portent macrumors 6502a

Windows 3.1 didn't have any use for a two-button mouse. The second button didn't do anything in most applications.