I will never ever buy non-Apple computers anymore...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Oct 20, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I have been trying to sell my 1.5 year old Vaio PC that I originally paid $900+tax... I've been listing this PC at various websites... And received absolutely 0 offers! Its so easy trying to sell Macbooks, but not PC!

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I have a2 year old VIAO that I paid $1400 for, i7 and bluray. The reason you can not sell a used PC, is not because Mac are better, it because you can buy a brand new PC for $400-500 so why buy your used one for $900. I am sure that your computer is nice, just like mine, but I would rather have a new Asus or Samsung ivy i5 for way less. Also anyone that can spend $900 on a current day PC is not buying used. iMHO

I am picking up my new MBPS next week and my VIAO with become a spare and a home theater PC.

3. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Well, PCs don't carry the cachet that macs do. :cool:

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

And to be honest, I am a little worried about my new MBP purchase next week. With all the rMBP problems (people returning 4-6 computers just to find a good one!!!), Mountain Lion Issues, ect. I have not own a Mac since 1991, Apple II C, and I just had this vision that Mac were perfect.

5. stuaz macrumors 6502

Nothing is perfect :)

6. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Did you ever read about the issues with the MacBook Air's a while back? How people made a huge deal about the brand of the SSD and LCD? What about the issues with the iPad 3 Wifi? Look them up, there were a lot of people sending theirs back (before they had even received them).

My point is... these issues are non-issues that have all disappeared and are no longer discussed (by anyone). That's whats happening with the rMBP's right now. I've had two separate ones (returned the first for financial reasons) and I've had absolutely no issues with anything.

Either way, you have 2-4 weeks to return it (Apple, Best Buy)

----------

I think a lot of it has to do with two things: concise product lines and generational updates with design changes every 4 years or so.

For example, a unibody MacBook Pro (the all aluminum one) has been around since like, 2009? They still make laptops that look identical to that, the 2012 MBP's only difference is the lightning bolt on the display port? Yes, the internals are different, but they LOOK the same!

Additionally, pc manufacturers have like a million models... no one is going to know what a Asus GX-349L is, but everyone knows what a MacBook Pro is.

7. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Honestly there's not much difference if you compare like-with-like (ie. a very high-spec Windows PC against a Mac).

I sold my three-year-old MBP for about a third what I paid for it. A similarly-specced Windows machine would have done roughly the same.

8. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

After buying/selling a lot of things on Craigslist & Ebay, I can tell you the cure for selling something is to price it right. This works every time - spend 10 minutes looking at eBay "sold" items on comparable items. Find the average sale price, then price it at that average.

The only good news is that the PC prices were lower than the Macs in the first place.

I came to a couple realizations after doing this for a while. #1, the current going price is the current going price. There's nothing you can do about it. #2, the value of your used stuff will never go up, only down. So once you decide you no longer need the thing you may as well sell it right now, cuz next month it'll be worth even less.

9. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Exactly. People sometimes say their whatever is 'worth X'. Well, it is if someone is willing to pay X, it's not if they're not.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

It doesn't matter what you paid for, sorry, if what people are willing to pay.

I chuckle at stereos at eBay, "Sold for $2,000 in 1999!" and why do I care? it's obsolete, I just want it for parts OK.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

PC's are everywhere and have no real perceived value. Just check your inbox from retailers offering $400.00 laptops.
    If Mac's where everywhere it may be the same story. Not sure it has never happened.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Not enough "Cool" factor in that Vaio I guess. (Ignore the fact it's a fine machine).