I will wait. I can wait. Who wants to stand with me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Emergo, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Emergo macrumors member

I've never had a macbook. I've been fighting with myself back and forth about the 12 inch macbook. I was going to purchase it. Then i said to myself no... ill wait for the 2nd gen. But now.... i think ill wait for the 3rd gen next year. I still have a usable laptop, albeit 10 years old. But if that 3rd gen is gonna have everything i want... aka more ports, much faster... then ill do my best resisting.

Who wants to stand with me ? You can do it too.

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Where do you see/read that the "3rd gen is gonna have ... more ports"? I've not seen anything to indicate that. Even adding another USB-C port would make it much more attractive to me, but I have seen nothing that says that it will happen this year or in the foreseeable future.

3. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

You dont think it will happen next year?

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Apple announced today the discontinuation of the Macbook line of computers. Apparently, "PC" completed a hostile takeover and is now shifting the company's focus to a hybrid design called "Surfbook". Good luck with your wait.

5. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Announced? Source?

6. Frederiksberg macrumors member

Hahaha!

7. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There will always be next year. Buy what you think will work for you instead of perpetually waiting for a better machine. You'll never buy one at that rate.

9. Amazing Ox Space Monkey macrumors member

The funny thing is, last year everybody praised the big improvements SkyLake would bring and how they were ready to wait. Now, I read SkyLake is not gonna be anything groundbreaking, just a minor update, and Kaby Lake is woth the wait. Next year I will get to know that Kaby Lake actually brings miniscule of upgrades so that everybody should get ready for Cannon Lake.

Honestly, all these talks are nothing more than a baloon filled with helium.

10. pmj85 macrumors newbie

Would I be right in assuming that your needs are very basic, OP? If you're still using a decade old laptop, I can't see that you're doing anything that requires serious horsepower. Heck, at a decade old it must still be a 4:3 ratio.

I purchased a rMB a couple of weeks back. I work in IT, and so far I honestly love it. It does everything I want - and more. I'm new to OSX, and I'm finding it to be superb.

The people calling the rMB "Slow" are people who have a lot of computational demands, because I just swapped an i7 laptop for one with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD... and there's naff all difference for tasks like web browsing, document creation, media consumption - you name it. It will do anything that a 'normal' machine will do, albeit a tad slower if you're using 'pro' applications... but then if you're buying a rMB for heavy photo or video editing, you're missing the point entirely.

11. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Its the one port that's bothering me... i figure that would affect me a lot... but im not sure.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---
    Wasnt meant to be for me. I just walked out of best buy. They dont have any more in stock.

12. pmj85 macrumors newbie

It doesn't bother me at all, because I bought it with the adaptor with USB-C, USB and HDMI. If I ever need to dock it, I do so with one simple click. Voila - output to an external monitor, peripherals with space for external drives if required (a cheap USB hub will achieve this) and simultaneous charging.

Again, though - if the lack of ports is bothering you, you're probably not the target audience.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

not me I bought one 2 months ago on sale and loving it. I think this one port thing is permanent. I doubt they'll got back on that.

14. David58117 macrumors 65816

Honestly, I really don't get the one port concern...

What you get in trade off, is so much better. Full OS X in essentially an iPad Airs body? Sign me up!

If you're using it at a desk primarily when you need connections - the one port actually makes it more convenient. All you do is keep your USBC dongle plugged in and connected to your USB hub/harddrives/display, when you want to use it - you only have a single port to plug in. And when you're done, you just unplug a single port, and go.

It's actually easier than plugging in (1) the USB hub, (2) the display, (3) power cable on my 15". That's 3 connections vs 1.

And I just keep the $20 USB dongle in my bag, and I'm covered (I found I very rarely use the ports anyway).

15. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

16. kvyoung, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

kvyoung macrumors member

17. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Its officially too late... best buy's sale has ended.

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I just left Best Buy and they still had several of both configurations in silver and gold … and they were still on sale. Being on the west coast, the stores were still open, obviously. The same ends at close of business today.

19. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Exactly no one. Have fun using your crappy 10 year old laptop, while you wait for unicorns dancing on rainbows.

20. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Lol!

21. Roller macrumors 68020

I, for one, refuse to stand for a year or more. But I may jump into the Kaby Lake when the time comes.