Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
is it too hard to add multi-user system to the iPad pro models. I wanna be able to let my parents use it without fear or embarrassment they'll open a website I go to lol. You would think this is a no-brained especially when hey want this to be a laptop replacement.

Don't you want to hand you iPad to your kid, or significant other without them looking at your notes or stuff you don't necessarily want seen without your permission.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
There's an easy solution that Apple prefers; Buy another iPad.

LOL, that's is a clever and funny response!

I never thought about different users, but that actually makes a lot of sense. I'm willing to bet that we'll see that sometime down the road. It's only a matter of time.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There's an easy solution that Apple prefers; Buy another iPad.
Lol, that's actually a great way to justify upgrading. :p

Bought 32GB iPad 2 but need 64GB iPad 2? Give 32GB iPad 2 to mom. Want to upgrade to 64GB iPad 3? Give 32GB iPad 2 to grandma and 64GB iPad 2 to mom. And on it goes with iPads going to aunts, uncles and cousins. :)

We do the same thing with iPhones. :D

That said, given Android has had support for multiple user profiles since either Jelly Bean or Kit-Kat, I don't think it's too difficult to implement.

spook

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2004
I thought about this, and tried to think of the issues.

1. People would need to login using separate apple IDs
this would create issue with backing up the entire iPad as it would need to be separated out as system and account.

2. Each separate ID would need to be sectioned off, so apps and music would be unique to that account.

3. Touch ID chip and Apple Pay, correct me if I am wrong the Touch ID is in a separate secure chip, that your finger print is saved to, this may have some security difficulties with multiple accounts

Reactions: Goatllama

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I thought about this, and tried to think of the issues.

1. People would need to login using separate apple IDs
this would create issue with backing up the entire iPad as it would need to be separated out as system and account.

2. Each separate ID would need to be sectioned off, so apps and music would be unique to that account.

3. Touch ID chip and Apple Pay, correct me if I am wrong the Touch ID is in a separate secure chip, that your finger print is saved to, this may have some security difficulties with multiple accounts

Apple already solved #1 and #2 since iOS 9.3. They've just limited the Shared iPad feature to education deployments.

Reactions: rui no onna

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Seriously, the feature exists. It just costs you a one-time fee of buying another iPad. Or when you upgrade, wipe your old one, set it up generically, and leave it on the coffee table for shared use.

What would be nice and I think solve for most people who mistakenly think they need multi user is simply a guest mode. Flag what apps guests can access, and they can't persist anything. Simple.

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
The Macbooks with TouchID switch users by fingerprint. Would be a nice feature to add to iOS.

+1 !!!!

would be a great solution for iPad ...

i have zero desire letting some friend or parent who "quickly wants to access the web" also access my photos / personal documents etc...

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
+1 !!!!

would be a great solution for iPad ...

i have zero desire letting some friend or parent who "quickly wants to access the web" also access my photos / personal documents etc...

It really seems like a simple feature to add in since its already done on another Apple software. Just Apple being Apple, which seems to be the answer to a lot lately.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It really seems like a simple feature to add in since its already done on another Apple software. Just Apple being Apple, which seems to be the answer to a lot lately.
In fairness, I can see how multiple profiles can be problematic on the storage starved 16GB iPad models. Do wish they'd at least start off by including a restricted Guest Mode.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
In fairness, I can see how multiple profiles can be problematic on the storage starved 16GB iPad models. Do wish they'd at least start off by including a restricted Guest Mode.

True, but they dont even make those anymore so could have been an iOS 11 feature for certain iPad models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.