I wish Apple would let us...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Captain Planet, May 13, 2010.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

... "upgrade" previously purchased SD movies on iTunes to their HD versions (the ones available) by paying the price difference. I hate having some movies in SD and then they come out in HD and you basically have to buy it again (full price) even if you payed for the SD version.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think they will at some point, along with TV shows. Like they do for non-DRM versions of music. It might be a while though.

3. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

4. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Is it even possible to buy HD movies?? I've been waiting to buy WALL-e in HD but it's only available for rent in HD, purchase in SD. Same goes for Avatar.

EDIT: Holy cow, some movies are available to buy in HD! Just not through AppleTV, the way I would traditionally buy. Thanks for getting me to find out! :) Still no WALL-e or Avatar in HD though.

Apple needs to find a way to get movie studios on board for more consistency. Some movies are available in HD, some aren't, for purely political reasons. Some movies are available for Rent then taken off the rent list. Some are removed from the store entirely, even if they're successful. Studios are still clinging to the physical medium hoping that an iTunes user will be compelled to go buy the DVD or BluRay if it's not available in iTunes. Frankly? I just find it online if I really want to watch it, where if it were available on iTunes, I would have bought it or rented it.

Your suggestion also goes for Rentals. After watching a rental you should be able to purchase it by paying the difference. There is no more bandwidth involved because you already have the file You just need iTunes to let you keep it when you pay the purchase difference. I know I would have kept several movies if I could just pay the difference but instead I feel the sting of paying an additional $20 on top of the $5 I spent to rent it so I just forget about the movie.