I wish Apple would make machines like this again!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Marvy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Marvy macrumors regular

Looking at this video of the new HP Blackbird 002, I was reminded of the grand times when Apple focused on making beautiful computers on the outside AND the inside:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/hps-voodoo+powered-blackbird-002-unveiled-by-creator-video-296871.php

Remember the G5 iMac? How nice it was to look at the internals? Look at what a mess they are now. Seeing this new HP machine, I do miss my old Blue&White G3, where it also was so nice to open it up, and swap out memory or hard disks. Where everything just felt so clean. I really can't say the same about some of the newer Apple machines I have taken apart.

Am I the only one who feels Apple has neglected their computer department, especially the internal architecture? Would love to know what you guys think!

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

euh.... noo....no..noo it's better now...

3. Marvy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not talking so much about the looks (personally I find the HP machine too gamer-ish), but on the clean interior. I like the idea of being able to swap around standard drives without requiring any tools at all. I also like the idea of illuminated ports.

Anyway, I think that this new machine shows that there is still a lot of potential in making desktop machines easier to access. I just somehow have the feeling Apple isn't doing enough in this area.

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

They did make their desktop easy to access. The only thing you "can" change is RAM and there is only one screw in the RAM door. Easy!

I don't think Apple is in the market to sell internally accessible desktops. Maybe someday...

5. Queso macrumors G4

Speaking as someone who owned a Performa 630, it wasn't always easy. Changing a hard disk on one of those somewhat tried your patience.

6. dcv macrumors G3

Here's an old photo of my 17" and 20" Rev B iMac G5s for you to drool over then...

[​IMG]

:cool:

7. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek:

Undressed iMacs!!!

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

You obviously haven't popped the hood on a Mac Pro.

9. Marvy thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh... so beautiful! Wish I could say the same about my iMac Core Duo :(

10. Marvy thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing. I've swapped a few hard drives on macbooks and iMacs, and man, was tha a pain! I realize that these are all rather compact devices, but still: Swapping hard disks on many other non-Apple compact machines was much simpler.

Anyway, maybe you guys are right. Maybe, Apple does offer good solutions to these problems (aka Mac Pro). I guess it's just that I have heard so little from the computer department from Apple regarding anything in the desktop area. And I wish there was something cheaper than a Mac Pro, where I could more easily wreak havoc on the inside. :D