I wish apple would release FaceTime standard already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Now as more and more phones and devices are being released with front facing cameras it would be a great time for apple to release the FaceTime standard as they said they would. It works great but it's almost a waste to keep it exclusive at this point. Once it hits android we will be able to use it a whole lot more.

Think they are waiting for after the holiday?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I doubt that it will reach other platforms. There's always other options as well though. Tango is a viable option.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Facetime is a proprietary format.

Video calling, which has been around for years, already has a standard. Several actually.
    These are what every other video calling capable phone on the market uses.
    And they don't need a WiFi connection to use it either.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope they do but they might keep it to apple products only so people keep buying their hardware.
    Im surprised skype hasnt updated to use the front camera for videocalls. Hope more and more apps like IM clients and other stuff start taking advantage of the feature.

5. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Jobs himself said they would release it as an open standard. I think it was the iPhone 4 keynote.

And tango is awful compared to FaceTime. FaceTime must have better protocols or something

We tested tango vs. FaceTime iPhone 4 on wifi to another iPhone 4 on wifi

It was night and day difference

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There's nothing in the Facetime standard that says it has to be Wifi-only.

That's an AT&T decision to block it and has nothing to do with what standards the program uses to communicate with.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, thats an easy fix/update if and when AT&T allows it on their network.
    And probably find a way to charge us extra for it:)

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Regardless... that is the only option available for Facetime at the moment in the U.S.
    Unless of course you jailbreak. ;)

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

T-Mobile already has an ad on TV making fun of this and they don't even have the iPhone to sell...they still think it's worth making fun of AT&T over.

Imagine if this ends up being Verizon's big promotion when they get the iPhone...Facetime on Verizon 3G...come on over!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, competition is great for the consumer.

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

All apple does it proprietary...and thats why Android is beating them in the mobile market and why Microsoft is winning in the computer business.

12. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I just re-watched the end of the iPhone 4 keynote. Jobs says it will be released as an open industry standard. No details on when though. I'll shoot him an email.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Hopefully it'll be soon... I'd love to see FaceTime on Android and WP7. :)

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Aren't they integrating it with iChat? I know there is a beta for Mac that lets you FaceTime from a Mac computer to iPhone, and it's said they are working on a Windows/PC version as well. So it does look like they are headed in the right direction.

15. scaredpoet, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If that were true, then 3G Facetime would be enabled for users in Canada, Europe, China, etc. AT&T doesn't dictate what happens outside of its network, and Apple hasn't shied away from releasing a capability on other networks even when AT&T isn't ready (remember MMS?).

This isn't to say that the standards behind Facetime are responsible, quite the contrary. But this restriction is still an Apple decision, not AT&T.

Also not true. The standards behind Facetime are not Apple inventions, and are open. H.264 and AAC are royalty-free and available, and rest: SIP, STUN, TURN, ICE, RTP and SRTP - are already published IETF standards.

It's up to other vendors to look these up and implement the standards. They don't need to wait for Apple to hold their hands.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Supposedly they are working with carriers to make it available over carrier data but not sure when it will take off and if they start releasing it on select wireless providers.
    I know MMS and internet tethering took forever for AT&T so I expect for us to get it last again than the rest of the world:D

17. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

If I had to guess I would bet Apple is waiting for some kind of deal for FaceTime over cellular networks. If they were to release it now it would pop up on android phones pretty fast and the carriers for those phones would probably open up FaceTime over cellular before AT&T would do it for iPhones.

So we will probably have to wait for one of two things

1. AT&T opens up FaceTime over 3G (which, we know works fairly well)

2. Apple goes multi carrier in the U.S. And the new carrier is happy to provide FaceTime over cellular.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, yes, Apple has technically turned off the switch but who do you think asked them to do it?

You think they just did it for no reason? Because they thought it would be funny? (Did they just forget?)

Or do you think it's more likely that ALL of those carriers you mentioned said "uh, hey, why don't you leave that off until we can think about it some more? Ok thanks."

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Considering they released a beta for Mac at least gives hope that they will incorporate Facetime into iChat as well as provide a Windows version. The use of Facetime as the video calling format has tons of potential considering the user base that is out there (and continuously growing).

Apple isn't always that swift at releasing new internal apps and I wouldn't hold my breath on when the iChat/Facetime final version is released. I would speculate that it will be released with 10.7 next summer. Seems likely that Apple will tack it on as a new feature of Lion.

20. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

That's an unfortunate byproduct of the AT&T monopoly over the iPhone franchise. Jobs indicated a desire to try to convince 'carriers' (subtext: AT&T) to open it up for use over 3g.

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The core stack in Facetime is still proprietary.
    This is why no other phone vendor can establish a Facetime session with an iPhone 4 client.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Even Sprint is running commercials now showing video calls on their network.
    I love their closing line in the commercial... "... and yes, it works over WiFi too."

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

At the moment I use Yahoo messenger app alot for Video Calls. Works pretty good.

24. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Skype STILL doesn't have video calling for iPhone/iPod touch... I thought Skype was about video calling :rolleyes: